ADSL in Taiwan

Moderators: Mick, Nam

Re: 50Mbit/s internet

Postby Aero7 » 04 Mar 2012, 00:17

DesertSpider wrote:I've got CHT's infamous 50/5 plan, but that seems to be ONLY on the island... (I get those speeds when I test servers here), but to HK it drops significantly to 5/1 at best.

Is that right ????

DS

Never draw conclusions based on results from Speedtest.net alone. The outcome will inevitably vary based on the time of day and quality of the servers. I remember back then in 2010 the servers were far more competent and far less strained. Now it's a different story though. Plus, if you don't get 30ms or less ping to Hong Kong, the server is probably running on full capacity and the chances of getting an accurate reading are low.

I agree 100% with Satellite TV's comments.
My Website - http://a4rzero.wordpress.com/ - I write about countries and everything in between.
Forumosan avatar
Aero7
38 Posts? I'm a bimbo, baby!

Postby PapaAzucar » 11 Mar 2012, 14:54

PapaAzucar
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby *monkey* » 12 Mar 2012, 14:16

Where would you go to get info about your HiNet account (your fixed ip address, free HiNet email address, account plan, billing data etc). Is there a HiNet web page where you can enter your account ID and get this data?
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

4 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 12 Mar 2012, 14:51

we can get 100Mbit/s with Vee in Taichung. Costs 10k a year (or is that half a year..)
prices have gone up, it seems. I pay 1,700 for a 20MB connection. Only get 1 up tho it's much cheaper than the other plans.

Not sure if it is because my building has some kind of deal. Not sure if I can get other companies or if I have to stick with the one. I think that includes TV and I don't watch that crap! Wonder if I can get a better deal..
trubadour
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

114 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 12 Mar 2012, 15:38

*monkey* wrote:Where would you go to get info about your HiNet account (your fixed ip address, free HiNet email address, account plan, billing data etc). Is there a HiNet web page where you can enter your account ID and get this data?

Monkey -

Start here...

http://www.hinet.net/cht_en/product_1_4_1.htm

FAQs here...

http://www.hinet.net/cht_en/service_4.htm

And yes, there is a page where you can enter your account ID and get info...I forgot where it is. Its in there somewhere.
I use Thunderbird as my main email client so I don't go to the hinet.net page very often (been over a year I guess).

As always here, the Chinese lingo pages have more complete info...maybe on one of these...

http://broadband.hinet.net/adv.html

Or a link off here...

http://www.hinet.net/

'Jess another case of keepin' the waiguo down... :aiyo:
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

104 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby *monkey* » 12 Mar 2012, 16:16

TC I don't see anywhere to log in. I remember that when the HiNet guy came to install my 50/5 connection, he went to a Chinese web page, entered my info and pulled up details about my account, including the type of plan I am on, my IP address, my physical address, etc. I'm pretty sure it was a publicly accessible thing, not some secret server that only tech guys have access to.

Forumosan avatar
*monkey*

4 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 12 Mar 2012, 19:38

Monkey -

Try this page...maybe what you're looking for is here?

http://www.msa.hinet.net/
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

104 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby *monkey* » 12 Mar 2012, 22:26

Super useful. Actually the info was in the last e-mail they sent to my Hi-net email (which I have never used). :bravo:

Forumosan avatar
*monkey*

4 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby Taigottawanna » 13 Mar 2012, 09:56

This is just great. Around Christmas, we went to CHT to see if we could get the 50Mbit package for $999. To our surprise, it was available in our area. There was something like 4 spots left for 50Mbit, and about 10 for 20Mbit at the time. Unfortunately, we still had 3 months left in our contract with another ISP, so we decided to wait until the end of this month to switch. Now I'm told 50 and 20Mbit are no longer available, but we could get a 12Mbit connection for $100 less.

Is there really a perceivable difference when streaming HD content at 12Mbit vs 50Mbit? I am happy that the upload speed is 3Mbit, so I can get some useful cloud storage functionality (I'm only losing 2Mbit upload settling for this package, as the 50Mbit download comes with only 5Mbit upload capability). I decided to get the MOD with all the channels for $100. I'm choosing to look at it as giving up 38Mbit download and 2Mbit upload speed in exchange for free MOD.

Now, as this is fiber optic to the (building?), what should I expect compared to my present ADSL service? Should I do the fixed IP option to get faster speed/lower latency? Does that still apply?
Forumosan avatar
Taigottawanna
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

5 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby mabagal » 13 Mar 2012, 12:20

TC, et al, thanks for all of the info, this is super useful.
mabagal
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)
Immune to Breathalizers (jiǔ cèce bù chūlái)

12 Recommends(s)
26 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Technology