How do I get a work permit or ARC before I got employed?

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

How do I get a work permit or ARC before I got employed?

Postby Militarygamer » 30 Apr 2012, 02:57

I've came across a lot of interviews where they ask me what kind of visa I am on, when I told them I am on a visitor's visa or a 30 day visa free entry, they told me I cannot work and I must have a work permit before they can employ me. I have no idea what to do, the information on this forum is very confusing, some say it is OK not to have a visa before applying for work while others say it is not, I don't have a clear answer can somebody help me? Thanks
Militarygamer
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)

Re: How do I get a work permit or ARC before I got employed?

Postby Icon » 30 Apr 2012, 09:50

The confused ones are the people doing the hiring. They are the ones supposed to process your work permit application. What they are asking, in reality, is whether you already have a work permit with someone else -meaning you have a primary job- hence, they just attach a secondary permit or -my best guess is- they do not want to process the application, and will have you working illegally. The other thing is that some people have open work permits, being married to locals or living here on a permanent resident visa, having that right. So, the company does not need to request a work permit.

They are right in a sense that you cannot work on a visitor's visa. If you get hired, the company puts in the paperwork with CLA and you get a work permit. Then you go to NIA and get an ARC. That simple.

You do not have a work permit. The work permit here is not like a green card in the States, but rather a "link" between you and your employer. It is only valid as long as you are employed, so, if you haven't been hired, you cannot have a work permit, right? Without the work permit, you cannot apply for a work ARC, and hence, cannot work legally.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

759 Recommends(s)
592 Recognized(s)

Postby CraigTPE » 01 May 2012, 06:31

Icon wrote:They are right in a sense that you cannot work on a visitor's visa. If you get hired, the company puts in the paperwork with CLA and you get a work permit. Then you go to NIA and get an ARC. That simple.

You no longer have to do the intermediary step by going to Foreign Affairs and change the visitor visa to a resident visa, between the work permit and the ARC?

You're assessment is probably right, though. Those employers either don't understand the process themselves, or they don't want to bother. I've chatted with several who look first for APRC or JFRV holders so they don't have to bother with the paperwork.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby ferb79 » 02 May 2012, 17:55

I am fresh off this process..
Like everyone say, if your employers are interested in you THEY do all the paperworks.
There are limitations for you to get the workpermit:
you got to have 2 years work experience or at least a master degree (all documents authentisized at your home country and stamped by Taiwan representative at your home country)
There is a minimum salary for white color worker issue: The company has to give you (or at least show the goverment :wink: ) a minimum salary of 47,971NTD

Only after you signed a contract the company can start the process, the contract must show your emplyment duration and salary.
Takes about 1.5 weeks.

If you work permit apporoved you get the 2 pieces of paper and you can apply for ARC.
make sure your Visa is valid for at least 60 days before you apply to ARC, or else you have to leave Taiwan, get a visa, and go back.
This information I got from the local immigration office.
That's pretty much it.
I hope this helps.
ferb79
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

Postby CraigTPE » 02 May 2012, 18:34

ferb79 wrote:There are limitations for you to get the workpermit:
you got to have 2 years work experience or at least a master degree

A bachelors degree and no experience necessary for English teachers.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Legal Issues at Work