Denied a work permit because of company's low salary.

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Denied a work permit because of company's low salary.

Postby ferb79 » 02 Mar 2012, 17:40

Hello!

I live in Taipei for almost 4 months now, and studying Mandarin on NTU. I came to Taiwan to start life with my long time wonderful Taiwanese girlfriend.
I am looking for a job at my proffesion of engineering and manufacturing, after long time of search (and only 2 relevant interviews..) I was accepted to work at a local company.

The manager told me they hired foreigners before, and looking for more for their own reasons.
And so the paperwork started.. everything looks OK. I have a master degree and more than 2 years work experience..

But the salary they offered was 32,000 NTD. Altough it's painfully low I accepted since I want to start working somewhere.

My girlfriend told me that the salary must be around a minimum of 48,000 NTD for white color worker, and it's wiered the company didn't say anything about this.
We figured they have a way to solve that problem, since I guess not every foreigner earns so much here, and they DID say they hired foreigners before.

My work permit application was denied because of that, and I am pissed off :fume: .
The company offered me all kind of illegal ways to start work with out permits, what we call in my home country "Combinas", but I offcourse refused.

Does anyone here experienced a similar situation?
Thanks!
ferb79
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Denied of workpermit because of companies low salary.

Postby Kea » 02 Mar 2012, 18:37

Mate, you just write 50k on the contract, but agree with the company the 32k. The govt won't track each payment, and you can always say you took excessive time off if anyone ever asked questions.....

You can go back and reapply with an adjusted contract, simple process.

I just want to add, 32k is very low, and you better ensure you get the same bonus as the locals (CNY, other holidays).
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
- Sir Winston Churchill
Forumosan avatar
Kea
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

15 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Postby ferb79 » 02 Mar 2012, 19:15

Kea wrote:Mate, you just write 50k on the contract, but agree with the company the 32k. The govt won't track each payment, and you can always say you took excessive time off if anyone ever asked questions.....

Thanks for the reply Kea.
Me and my GF brought the idea to the company, which really makes sence, this way the company just have to pay the tax differences.

But they said they don't want to make false reports.
The funny thing: that company don't want to false report, but they offered me to work without permit.. :loco:

And yea... really low salary..
ferb79
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Kea » 02 Mar 2012, 19:23

well, you'll get something else if need be, with more patience. Post details of what type of engineering/manufacturing you're looking at, maybe others can help out with more tips.

Or get married! :D [then you don't need this working ARC, only a marriage ARC, and can work for 32k, or 23k if you wish!]
Good luck.
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
- Sir Winston Churchill
Forumosan avatar
Kea

15 Recommends(s)
35 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 02 Mar 2012, 20:16

Kea wrote:Or get married! :D.

This.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

84 Recommends(s)
180 Recognized(s)

Postby ferb79 » 02 Mar 2012, 20:58

Kea wrote: [ and can work for 32k, or 23k if you wish!]
Good luck.

haha yep this will be a dream come true :discodance:

Yes, need to just keep looking ..
or get married! I already knows how to Da MaJhong, so I have no problem with her family :)

Thanks for the replies!
ferb79
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby CraigTPE » 03 Mar 2012, 06:04

ferb79 wrote:
Kea wrote:Mate, you just write 50k on the contract, but agree with the company the 32k. The govt won't track each payment, and you can always say you took excessive time off if anyone ever asked questions.....

But they said they don't want to make false reports.
The funny thing: that company don't want to false report, but they offered me to work without permit.. :loco:

:roflmao: :roflmao:

Most (all?) companies here have two sets of books: the ones they show the government and the real ones. When they make excuses, it's the local way of telling you they don't want to.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

Postby abcheng » 25 May 2012, 18:33

Hi,

I have a question that is somewhat related to this topic. I started working at a university / research institution in Taipei and I guess my job position would be considered as a professors assistant. They are paying me arohnd 31,000 NTD which is from my undertanding is how much a local Taiwanese makes there. When I applied for my resident visa, they didnt say anything about my salary and I even asked about the $45,000 NTD requirement for foreigners when I was applying for my resident visa and the lady said she heard about it and that I should look into it. Am I actually entitled to a 45,000 NTD salary ? If so, is there any way I can show proof that I should be paid more ?
abcheng
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Legal Issues at Work