High School Job, no Certification

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: High School Job, no Certification

Postby steelersman » 26 Jun 2012, 13:42

kjmillig wrote:I won't go into my own opinion on the matter, but yes, to legally teach at a public school one must have a bachelor's degree or equivalent and current teaching license from their home country. Why is that surprising to so many people? :doh:

Actually, the OP was talking about a private high school. And Taiwanese can teach at private high schools without a teacher's license. In the United States you can also teach at a private school without a teacher's license.
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 26 Jun 2012, 21:06

Even private schools are under the jurisdiction of the MOE here. Foreign teachers need licenses or JFRVs.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Postby gavmasterflash » 26 Jul 2012, 19:36

I was denied a job at a regular-private school because my teaching license, a substitute one, said "90 days teaching" which has more to do with contractual obligations and union mumbo-jumbo than being able to teach for a full year. I was completely denied the teaching position because those beuarocrats at the MOE weren't willing to take a few moments to understand this.

If you have any ways of switching this around, will the OP please let me know how you were able to get this taken care of. Thanks.
gavmasterflash
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

7 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby achdizzy1099 » 26 Jul 2012, 20:44

Allow me to sum this thread up into terms more of us can understand:

OP: Hey, I'm new here. I just graduated from jewelry school in Wisconsin. I've moved to New Jersey and met some Italian guys who want me to sell their surplus diamonds for them. I'm not sure the diamonds are registered considering they were handed to me in a paper bag in the back of a Towncar. Can someone help me find a way to tell the government so I can sell them to licensed dealers? I have a lot of student loans and bills to pay.

Replies: You know, what you're doing is illegal and you should just give the diamonds back. I don't care about your rent and student loans.

OP: Forget it. I just met some guys from Brooklyn, I got it figured out.

Replies: You know you're doing something illegal. You're going to get caught and deported. You will have no one to blame but yourself. please respond and talk to us.

OP: chirp; chirp; chirp

T
Some people have a big mouth.....
Forumosan avatar
achdizzy1099

5 Recommends(s)
41 Recognized(s)

Postby gavmasterflash » 26 Jul 2012, 22:18

How serious is the government about stuff like this, though? If there were some way around it, why would he have to worry? It seems that doing things in this manner is common place here in Taiwan. I mean, look at the number of kindies that hire native speakers. It happens all the time. It is illegal. I doubt anyone would give someone here as much crap for working in a kindie.

I know some people who work for a kindie personally. The government comes to visit a few times a year, and when they do, they are herded to another part of the building where they "have a meeting." There are elementary classes that go on in the school too. They also have some creative book keeping techniques. If he can find a way around it, what is so wrong? This stuff seems to happen all around the country.

Unless, they are that strict with private schools and public schools. Is this then the case?
gavmasterflash

7 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby dan2006 » 26 Jul 2012, 23:10

And the downside is?

As he can't legally teach he would have to pack it up now and go home. If the school keeps him on and he gets caught later, he goes home as well.

End result is the same.
Forumosan avatar
dan2006
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)

60 Recommends(s)
79 Recognized(s)

Postby dasmania » 26 Jul 2012, 23:24

skyeward wrote:I assumed the school (it's a private school, not public) would know...

I love how every response said he was going to a public school. Read people.

Yes, I know it probably doesn't matter for ARC requirements, but still annoying.
I used to think I was wasting my time teaching in Taiwan...after 6 months of unemployment back home I realized what wasting time truly is. Enjoy the moment.
dasmania
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby gavmasterflash » 29 Jul 2012, 15:34

From what I've heard, this can be done if the school has a relationship with a local cram school. The teacher will work at the cram school on paper, but actually work at the public school. Don't know the reason for this, maybe there aren't enough qualified teachers to take all the public school positions? But I've also heard the goverment is cracking down on stuff like this.

Makes me wonder about the kindies though. Is the government going to start cracking down on them more too?
gavmasterflash

7 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby janoodles » 04 Mar 2013, 16:05

Hi there, I'm new here and I am considering teaching English in Taiwan. I'm from New Zealand (Caucasion native English speaker) and have a B Ed Teaching degree which is a 3 year degree (we don't have 4 year teaching degrees here - unless it is a Master)... I was wondering if that qualifies me to work in a public school in Taiwan? Also I'm not sure what a 'teaching license' is - is that a Taiwan license?? We don't have teaching "licenses" in NZ. I am also considering doing a TEFL or CELTA course before I head over - is that necessary? I have had a little bit of teaching experience (and child care) and am about to start doing 1-2 days a week teaching here to gain some more current experience. Also, what is the teaching like in a public school as opposed to a private school? Do you have some freedom to create and develop lesson plans based on assessment observations of the students? Or are the lesson progressions largely dictated from textbooks in a regimented way?

Thanks,
Janelle
janoodles
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby ironlady » 04 Mar 2013, 21:42

It should not be surprising in the least. Those requirements are posted on these boards many, many times.

The thing is, everyone seems to think that they are "special" and shouldn't be subject to the requirements. Many Westerners, particularly newbies in Taiwan, seem to feel that they have a right to work in Taiwan. News flash: you have no rights in Taiwan. You are not a citizen. Get an APRC or marry someone and the situation gets a little better. But for a garden-variety unmarried foreigner with a degree and good intentions, you have no rights.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
320 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Legal Issues at Work