Is the Blacklist real?

Moderator: Tempo Gain

Re: Is the BLACKLIST real?

Postby ichbinjenny » 18 Aug 2011, 22:21

Forgot to add that your employer has to have good reason and say how entirely awful you are to be blacklisted.

Contract issues are common enough and just need to be settled.
ichbinjenny
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

29 Recommends(s)
7 Recognized(s)

Postby bumclouds » 19 Aug 2011, 23:39

Is the blacklist a permanent lifetime ban from working? Or does it have a certain duration (for example, one year?).
Your warning level: [4]
Forumosan avatar
bumclouds
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

98 Recommends(s)
82 Recognized(s)

Postby marksman23 » 17 May 2012, 06:33

Yeah there is one.

boobooninja wrote:I have read many posts on here and they go back and forth regarding a teacher or just a "foreign worker" for that matter, getting "blacklisted" from ever working in Taiwan again.

I am facing an issue currently with a job placement agency and a school and the agency is mediating between myself and the school. The agency is saying the school can or might "report me to the government" and it "will affect my ability to work in Taiwan".

I thought I would open a thread and hopefully we can get to the bottom of this real or fake blacklisting.

Is it real? Can a school report you to the government and put you on a blacklist and prevent you from working in Taiwan ever again?
(Example would be breaching a contract)

Or are these just scare tactics to get you to keep your contract or to pay the "illegal" fine of breaching your contract?
marksman23
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

In Taiwan since: 06 Jun 1978

Postby housecat » 17 May 2012, 06:38

Is it Dewey?

You need to get someone other than the agent to help you work this out.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Postby dasaint » 17 May 2012, 08:33

sandman wrote:Dunno if there's really a blacklist. I strongly suspect not. However, the school CAN report you to the authorities for certain things -- breach of contract being one of them.
I'd STRONGLY recommend that you find someone to meditate for you other than the school's employee (which is basically what your agent is.)
The agent doesn't give a toss about what happens to you. He most CERTAINLY DOES give a toss about retaining the school as his client!

I'm sure asking someone to MEDITATE for him will not do the OP any good. However, it's been said that faith can move mountains. So you might be on to something there. :)
I'm back!
Forumosan avatar
dasaint
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

10 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby ShenKeng » 05 Jun 2012, 00:49

From my understanding, the schools don't really blacklist a person using a blog. They get on the phone and call every school around that's remotely advertisiing. They then tell the school
not to hire you, but they don't give a reason. This way, it cannot be considered slander. This method is very effective. It won't stop you completely, but it will ruin your good prospects.
ShenKeng

1 Recognized(s)

Postby timmyjames » 05 Jun 2012, 11:22

ShenKeng wrote:From my understanding, the schools don't really blacklist a person using a blog. They get on the phone and call every school around that's remotely advertisiing. They then tell the school
not to hire you, but they don't give a reason. This way, it cannot be considered slander. This method is very effective. It won't stop you completely, but it will ruin your good prospects.

That's quite odd, considering if you left said school in a jam, they would assume you would do that to others too...which would be good (for said school to have you put their competition in a jam).
timmyjames
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby 2Enigma » 18 Jul 2012, 23:11

ShenKeng wrote:From my understanding, the schools don't really blacklist a person using a blog. They get on the phone and call every school around that's remotely advertisiing. They then tell the school

There is NO real blacklist. Mostly it's agents with informal weekly communications with each other, probably at the local VIP pub or "Special" KTV room. No reputable school is going to have those kind of communications. They have too much liability and they know it. Mostly this is being generated from mom and pop bottom of the pool schools. Real school managers, nor owners, have the time nor inclination for that kind of gossip mongering from the non-reputable schools that are causing the good schools more harm and mostly illicit competition.
Keep ye company with those who seek truth and run from those who have found it.
Edited from Václav Havel

"Once, while lost in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew and was forced to live on nothing but bread and water for several days." W.C. Fields
2Enigma
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

38 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 13 Sep 1991

Postby SilverLining » 05 Sep 2012, 12:38

What does one do if one believes oneself to be blacklisted? Are there any legal or even practical measures to take, other than leaving Taiwan?

When I was reading the list of blacklisted schools here on Forumosa, the thought occurred to me, well, what if I were an employer and wanted such a list going the other way? Where would I find such a list? Looks like I'd have to frequent KTVs to find one, or find an agent or something.

Then another thought - how would you defend yourself against inaccurate info? Restraining order...against whom, or what? How do you even prove slander, anyway....and even if a person said something that was not completely true, it would probably be correct, provable, and reasonable from their viewpoint that they do not like you. And that knowledge is enough for some future employers. Or does successfully suing a past employer for slander get you onto a turbo-blacklist?

The originial question seems a red herring. Even if the blacklist is not real, it does not have to be. There are all sorts of things former employers, former coworkers, former partners (spouse or girl/boyfriend), or even people related to them can do to make your life difficult. With so many other choices of whom to employ, why would a company, reputable or otherwise, bother to hire someone they have been warned about formally or informally? Do you think they need to see your picture on the front page to not hire you? I think not.

My answers - find a different line of work, open a business, or leave this country. The last is looking to be the most appealing now. So the blacklist IS real, even if in my mind....

Can someone help me see the upside here? :roll:
Most days, it's good to remember every silver lining has a cloud
On rainy, challenging days, remember there IS that silver lining!
Forumosan avatar
SilverLining

Postby funkymonkey » 05 Sep 2012, 21:42

SilverLining wrote:Can someone help me see the upside here? :roll:

The blacklist is a myth. Also, most schools do not talk to each other.
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
Forumosan avatar
funkymonkey
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

32 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Teaching English in Taiwan