Secret Recordings of Office Conversation

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Secret Recordings of Office Conversation

Postby maowang » 24 Oct 2011, 12:03

I am pretty sure my supervisor is secretly recording the foreign office conversations to use for her own intel and blackmail purposes. She is not a party of these private discussions.

Anyone know the legality of this?
maowang
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Secret Recordings of Office Conversation

Postby petrarch1603 » 24 Oct 2011, 13:17

What's your proof? When you're in the office just watch what you say.
"Do something every day that you don't want to do; this is the golden rule for acquiring the habit of doing your duty without pain." -Mark Twain
petrarch1603
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

15 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby maowang » 25 Oct 2011, 14:01

The guy alluded to some "sources". He keeps trying to bait people into talking shit about management. Creepy.
maowang

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby StuartCa » 25 Oct 2011, 14:08

Don't say anything about anyone that you wouldn't want repeated unless you're 100% sure no one is around to hear. Office politics 101.

If you have proof it's probably illegal, but so what, many things are illegal and it costs too much to do anything about it.
If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener
Forumosan avatar
StuartCa
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

15 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby pqkdzrwt » 25 Oct 2011, 16:16

My understanding based on some reports on forumosa, is that if what you are doing is something illegal recordings are admissible in court.

ie if you are "publicly insulting" the managers they can take you to court.

If what you are doing/saying is not illegal then I doubt you have much to worry about.
Never wrestle with a pig—you get dirty and the pig likes it
pqkdzrwt
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

4 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby baberenglish » 25 Oct 2011, 16:44

'Secret' recording devices are deemed inadmissible in court. But to your employer, if they hear something by someone trying to rat you out, then they have enough means to fire you-legal or not. You sound a tad paranoid about your workmates. Find a hobby, don't think so much of the office.
Forumosan avatar
baberenglish

13 Recognized(s)

Postby pqkdzrwt » 25 Oct 2011, 16:50

baberenglish wrote:'Secret' recording devices are deemed inadmissible in court. But to your employer, if they hear something by someone trying to rat you out, then they have enough means to fire you-legal or not. You sound a tad paranoid about your workmates. Find a hobby, don't think so much of the office.

We are not talking about the US here, we are talking about Taiwan. I cant find them right now, but there have been several reports on forumosa in the past where "secret" recordings have been used as evidence in a court case.

On top of this, when was the last time that you saw a sign when you walk into an establishment saying you are being recorded? In Australia such signs are required, in Taiwan the appear not to be, meaning anyone can setup a camera anywhere and record anything. I think it would be wise for someone who is not in their own home to behave as if their behavior is being recorded (because it probably is).
Never wrestle with a pig—you get dirty and the pig likes it
pqkdzrwt

4 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby baberenglish » 25 Oct 2011, 20:07

If you say so.....
Forumosan avatar
baberenglish

13 Recognized(s)

Postby Mick » 25 Oct 2011, 20:21

I raised a similar point in a thread about mobile providers. Here

Basically the phone company was saying a recording they made (without our knowledge) formed a contract, although the details were completely different to our recollection of the conversation that happened two months prior. They were polite enough, but we couldn't make out much when the recording was played back and they refused to send us a copy and in the end dropped the charges they were going to ask to pay.

But raises the question, this is a fairly large mobile company, how can they claim a conversation recorded without consent forms a legally binding contract when as you say its inadmissible in court? You would think they would know the local laws.
Forumosan avatar
Mick
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

49 Recommends(s)
67 Recognized(s)

Postby maowang » 27 Oct 2011, 17:49

Well... two or three of us independently came to the same conclusion and our supervisor has been a bully and a tyrant. I was threatened not to take the matter to her boss. Imagine an office version of White Terror playing out. Everyone is afraid to ask questions. The woman may be showing traits of a personality disorder or mental instability.
maowang

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

x

Return to Legal Issues at Work