Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

US-TW school equivalence

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

US-TW school equivalence

Postby Naptha_Cracker » 20 Nov 2011, 15:00

I'm thinking of going back to public school teaching in the US, and I'd like to get credit for my work here. I have a US teaching certification.

New hires at public schools in the US can get placed higher on a salary scale based on previous employment, but of course it would have to be of a similar type or level, in my case K-12.

My college-cum-university still has a 5-year program which = +/- 3 years of high school + 2 years of junior college.

Is there a MOE document or something that would list such equivalence? I thought there might be something like this for students who transfer to US high schools or such.

I'm googling around, but I thought I'd see if anyone here has ever checked this out.

Going to my school's personnel dept. is a last resort, as I am loathe let them know I have any intention of leaving.
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 9
Joined: 23 Mar 2009, 09:49

Re: US-TW school equivalence

Postby ironlady » 23 Nov 2011, 06:44

I was successful in getting seniority credit for my years of teaching in Taiwan on the strength of explaining the equivalence to the administration of the hiring district. It didn't require any special documents. Just stress that the age groups involved are similar.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
User avatar
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Posts: 8711
Joined: 13 Nov 2001, 17:01
Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
In Taiwan since: 20 Jun 1984
Gruntleness: Semi-gruntled

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Legal Issues at Work

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 0 guests