Caught in a raid but only got my picture

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Caught in a raid but only got my picture

Postby urodacus » 26 Nov 2011, 08:01

A. nobody has to do any illegal work.

B. all waiguoren look alike, so it wasn't you.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

208 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

Re: Update

Postby Toasty » 26 Nov 2011, 16:57

poco loco wrote:Brief update. A friend has a private with a lawyer who called the CLA to see what was going on. The upshot of all this is that if the CLA want to interview me, they will have to formally ask the lawyer. This goes back to my original question, am I under any obligation to talk to the CLA? If I don't co-operate, what is the worst that could happen? They don't approve any new ARC applications when my ARC expires next May? I'm not really too concerned if they don't approve me next year as I planned to leave anyway- I just don't want to leave now. (I'm waiting to hear back from my friend if the lawyer has time to talk to me about these same questions but I think he doesn't want to get too involved-I don't know the lawyer dude personally and don't want to push things with him as he has already done things for me for free and this isn't his area of practice.)
Will post again if the CLA proceeds with this. Thanks for your replies. Cheers.

I heard about this sort of thing happening when I was working for a chain in Taoyuan. Teachers would get caught in the wrong branch. Usually, the teachers got let go. That's why my money is on you getting a warning or an explanation of the rules in the future. Hard to say what the running and lawyer will do for the situation, though.
I'm the toast with the most.
Forumosan avatar
Toasty
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

9 Recommends(s)
21 Recognized(s)

Postby Whole Lotta Lotta » 26 Nov 2011, 20:00

This situation may be an example of why I think things have changed over the years. In the beginning, I worked for a different branch of the same school that was on my ARC. Sometimes the police came and there was only a sense of "Ooh! You're ARC is at another place and the police are here." Nothing ever came of it. Nobody even bothered taking pictures. Bosses told me that I didn't need to worry about it and they were right, I didn't. By taking a picture of the OP they were trying to collect evidence if something illegal was happening. That didn't happen in the old days. They have that picture for a reason. Fear of being caught isn't irrational.
Tra, la, la, la, la, la, la, One banana. Two banana. Three banana. Four...
Forumosan avatar
Whole Lotta Lotta
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

Location: Somwhere close to comfort and yet always too far away.
6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 26 Nov 2011, 20:05

I suggest you abide by ALL of the precepts suggested by Urodacus!!

He obviously knows WTF is going on here.
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 08 Dec 2011, 23:54

quick question

throughout this thread, everyone talks about the address on the ARC

but isnt your employers address on the Work Permit and NOT the arc?

or am i wrong...(got a depenent arc....so just curious)
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 09 Dec 2011, 00:05

Confuzius wrote:quick question

throughout this thread, everyone talks about the address on the ARC

but isnt your employers address on the Work Permit and NOT the arc?

or am i wrong...(got a depenent arc....so just curious)

This is an interesting point. When I was a standard grunt in the trenches I only recall getting an ARC with my empoyer's details on it. I assume that the work permit was somehow part of the ARC. However, everyone who knows a lot more about these things seems to suggest that the work permit and ARC are separate. I never recall seeing two separate documents/cards. It's all terribly confusing.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby tsukinodeynatsu » 13 Dec 2011, 04:10

You were there observing and undergoing training which included practical teaching. This was internal professional development organised by the company as you needed to improve upon your delivery of a certain unit.

Either that or say another teacher was sick that day and you were subbing. Heartstrings - you can't be unreasonable if someone was sick! Extra points if you can say the original teacher is pregnant.

You ran because you'd heard horror stories about people being deported for having an ARC for a different branch, and you were worried. But now you know that the CLA isn't that unreasonable and it's really funny how stupid you must have looked to the officer.

Well......... that'd be how I'd approach it in the interview. I would be tempted to call up and ask what exactly they'd like to talk about as well, since your boss is not guaranteed to give you a straight answer. If you drag your feet they'll either forget about it or deport you for the hell of it.
tsukinodeynatsu
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

57 Recommends(s)
65 Recognized(s)

Postby Whole Lotta Lotta » 13 Dec 2011, 15:32

Here is a situation that I have always wondered what would happen if it occurred. Let's say I was walking down the street and needed to use the bathroom. The closest one was at a buxiban, so I walked in and asKed if I could use theirs. They say yes and I go in and do my business. At that moment some police walk in, take a picture, and ask me what I am doing there. I tell them the truth. Does anybody think my true answer would fly with the police. This has never actually happened. I am just asking 'What if ...?'
And the OP said he only had his picture taken in the presence of children. Since when was it against the law to be in the presence of children :idunno: ?
Forumosan avatar
Whole Lotta Lotta

6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby Whole Lotta Lotta » 13 Dec 2011, 15:34

I would also sit down with the boss and work on what answer you are both going to give to the police, just to keep your stories straight.
Forumosan avatar
Whole Lotta Lotta

6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby TainanCowboy » 13 Dec 2011, 17:00

Whole Lotta Lotta wrote:Here is a situation that I have always wondered what would happen if it occured.(sp) Let's say I was walking down the street and needed to use the bathroom. The closest one was at a buxiban, so I walked in and aksed(sp) if I could use theirs. They say yes and go in and do my business. At that moment some poliece(sp) walk in, take a picture, and ask me what I am doing there. I tell them the truth. Does anybody think my true answer would fly with the police. This has never actually happened. I am just asking 'What if ...?

This is why its good to leave a little dribble on the toilet seat and maybe even your zipper area.

Never know when you might need some....'evidence.'
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Legal Issues at Work