Can a school refuse to release you?

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Can a school refuse to release you?

Postby kjmillig » 09 Dec 2011, 19:41

Can a school refuse to sign a release of contract if you want to quit before the end of the contract? The agency that administers my school is telling me that if I leave (3 weeks early) then the school will not sign a release, thereby not allowing me to get a new work permit.
Also saying they'll take one month's pay because I didn't give them 45 days notice, notwithstanding that they only gave me 38 days notice of contract non-renewal.
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race [except in Taiwan]. ~paraphrased from H.G. Wells
Forumosan avatar
kjmillig
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recognized(s)

Re: Can a school refuse to release you?

Postby Satellite TV » 09 Dec 2011, 23:10

kjmillig wrote:Can a school refuse to sign a release of contract if you want to quit before the end of the contract? The agency that administers my school is telling me that if I leave (3 weeks early) then the school will not sign a release, thereby not allowing me to get a new work permit.
Also saying they'll take one month's pay because I didn't give them 45 days notice, notwithstanding that they only gave me 38 days notice of contract non-renewal.

Well we dont know what you agreed to in your contract. Maybe you can take it up with the CLA as they can advise if any clauses in your contract are illegal, such as with holding your pay. Perhaps you can get a 2nd work permit first as a part time employee before finishing your current contract then change it to full time when your current contract expires.

Or you can hold your breath for 3 weeks and finish your contract then leave having completed your obligations to your current employer.
It's such a pleasure living in a world where everyone is in such a hurry to be outraged over someone else’s trivial comments
Forumosan avatar
Satellite TV
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Re: Can a school refuse to release you?

Postby CraigTPE » 10 Dec 2011, 06:51

kjmillig wrote:The agency that administers my school is telling me that if I leave (3 weeks early) then the school will not sign a release, thereby not allowing me to get a new work permit. Also saying they'll take one month's pay because I didn't give them 45 days notice, notwithstanding that they only gave me 38 days notice of contract non-renewal.

AFAIK, there is no need to get any documents from an existing employer to add a new employer to your ARC, including the work permit. You would only need the release to remove the existing employer prior to the end of the contract. So could you just overlap for 3 weeks?

The law does stipulate how much notice is required to terminate a contract, but not advise whether or not it will be renewed.
Forumosan avatar
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

91 Recommends(s)
34 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Legal Issues at Work