Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Legality of Private Tutoring (in your apartment)

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Legality of Private Tutoring (in your apartment)

Postby LaurenM » 09 Mar 2012, 09:13

Hello All!

I have been tutoring about 9 different students ranging in age from super young (less than 2 yrs. old) to junior high school students for a few years now. During this time, I've traveled to their homes to teach them. I find this super tiring and not at all cost or time efficient. I'd like to open my own "classroom" ("家教班", right?) by renting an apartment (separate from where I live now) which would just serve as a place to house my private lessons. So, basically, I would be doing the exact same thing as I do in their homes, just much more convenient for me. Also, it would enable me to take on more students since I could put the classes closer together (right now I have up to an hour and a half between classes!). So, here are my questions:

1) Is private tutoring ever legal?

2) Is teaching the kids in an apartment I've rented any less legal than teaching them in their own homes?

3) Some of the parents have told me that I need to lower my fee (which is currently $1000/60+ min.) if I won't be at their houses anymore. But, most of them currently pick me up and drop me off, anyway, so I don't really see it as any less convenient for them to come to the classroom. Also, I’d be providing a much better learning environment for the kids. What do you think?

4) Perhaps most importantly, if I had a classroom, is there any sort of insurance I would need in case, for instance, a student gets injured while in my apartment? Is there any way parents could sue for something like that? What sort of insurance might cover that? Any other legal issues I should be concerned about? If the whole thing is illegal, then I assume I won’t be able to get insurance anyway... should this be a deal-breaker? Is there anything I could have the parents sign to avoid that kind of situation? Obviously, I don’t anticipate this happening, but I just want to be careful.

I don’t have a teaching degree, but I consider myself to be a very qualified (with degrees in Art and Early Childhood Psychology, and 5 years’ experience in Taiwan) and good teacher. I work hard and care about my students and their progress. I just can’t keep traveling from place to place lugging my materials around! Any advice you’d have for me would be super appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!! :)
LaurenM
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Legailty of Private Tutoring (in your apartment)

Postby Feiren » 09 Mar 2012, 09:37

There are many problems with this.

First of all, if you don't have an APRC or marriage-based ARC, it is illegal.

This is risky because your neighbors (or a competitor) may not like your classroom and might report you. You could get deported and/or face a large fine.

It is also a violation of zoning laws since a private school is not a permitted use in a residential neighborhood. You could get fined.

You need a license to open a school, which you don't have, so your business is illegal as well. Fines.

If a child was injured or even worse killed, the parents could and would sue you. They would probably also bring a complaint against you for criminal negligence to force you to settle. You probably can't get insurance because you are running an illegal business that no one would want to insure. Even if you somehow did, I doubt the insurer would pay your claim.

Even though this is a terrible idea, the reality is that you might get away with it for a while, Many people do. I think your chances outside of Taipei would be better.
Feiren
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)
Former City Mayor (qiánrèn shìzhǎng)

4 Recommends(s)
198 Recognized(s)

Postby LaurenM » 09 Mar 2012, 11:43

Thanks for the input, Feiren.

Ugh.... is anything in Taiwan actually legal??
LaurenM

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby tomthorne » 09 Mar 2012, 11:55

LaurenM wrote:Thanks for the input, Feiren.

Ugh.... is anything in Taiwan actually legal??

It tends to be a grey area :) .

I'm no expert, but I believe you are allowed to tutor a certain number of students in your own home - which makes sense. Obviously, doing it from a rented premises isn't permitted without a school license.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 09 Mar 2012, 13:25

If you are on a work visa with a company, I doubt it is legal even for you to tutor a certain number of students in your own home as a paid proposition. You are technically limited to work at the specific location and for the specific employer who got your ARC/work permit.

Very few things are legal for foreigners in Taiwan unless they are married (JFRV visa), have finagled one or more Article 51 work permits, or are on APRC -- or have taken Taiwanese nationality (in which case they're really not "foreigners").
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
76 Recommends(s)
307 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 09 Mar 2012, 16:08

Sorry OP, I assumed you already had open work rights. If you haven't then ignore my post.
tomthorne

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby LaurenM » 09 Mar 2012, 19:55

What are "open work rights"?

Also, is what I'm planning to do that more illegal than, say, working in a kindy? If it's working-in-a-kindy illegal, then I think I'll take my chances.

It's so frustrating that I couldn't really do this legally if I wanted to. :roll: Any advice on the closest legal equivalent to what I'm doing?

Thanks again for your input!
LaurenM

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby tomthorne » 09 Mar 2012, 20:56

LaurenM wrote:What are "open work rights"?

The right to work anwhere with pretty much the same restrictions as Taiwanese nationals - JFRV or APRC.
tomthorne

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby LaurenM » 09 Mar 2012, 21:12

So I would need an APRC to get open work rights, correct?

When you say "anywhere", you don't mean that I could go ahead with this plan if I had open work rights, do you? Would OWR at least keep me from being deported should I be found out?
LaurenM

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby ironlady » 09 Mar 2012, 22:11

What scares me about this proposition is not the possibility of deportation; it's the liability. Kids are damage-prone beings, and parents are not always rational where their offspring are involved. Add in a possible communication barrier to begin with, and to me this is a recipe for potential disaster. You really don't want to be sued in Taiwan, especially for sums of money you couldn't possibly pay, not to mention legal fees and general psychic wear and tear.

If it were me, I'd scout out some friendly McDonald's locations for "class".
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
76 Recommends(s)
307 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Legal Issues at Work