Everything is back to square one for me because of legal requirements

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Everything is back to square one for me because of legal requirements

Postby Militarygamer » 09 Apr 2012, 16:26

I came to Taiwan last year, applying for work as an English teacher. I soon realised that teaching English is not something I wanted to pursuit as I have no passion in teaching or ever though of becoming a professional teacher. They made me taught , it's just a waste of time. I don't even like to entertain young children that constantly make fun of me. Soon I found a job in an marketing firm. Pay is not high but nature of job is stable and more challenging compared to teaching. Everything turns out fine until the 2nd week, when they told me they could not proceed a working visa because I do not have 2 years of working experience. I've graduated in 2010 and even with all my expeiences it does not add up to 2 years, now I am forced to resign if there is no other solution. I don't want to go drifting around the streets of Taiwan ain or going back to teaching. I am Asian and English teaching is not a career for me compared to the white man. People I've met often question me why I want to become a teacher as I have a totally unrelevant degree, they don't realise that this is the only thing I could do as a foreigner. Is there any other way out for me?
Militarygamer
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)

I do not have 2 years of working expeirence

Postby Militarygamer » 09 Apr 2012, 18:03

Which means that I could not get a job except teaching. This is insane, now I realised that Taiwan is not a free country, it is not America, not Europe, not a migrant soceity, here laws are enacted to discriminate foreigners, no matter you are American, Chinese or Indian if you do not have an ID you are an alien. Here dreams cannot be fulfilled. I shall stay in Taiwan until my visa expries,(I have recently renewned my visa) I may probably get deported, from now on I will do whatever I want to. Experience what I do not, I may find myself on the wrong side of the law. I will try whatever means to earn money, try whatever ways to survive, TIA (THIS IS TAIWAN) so long farewell my friends.
Militarygamer
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)

Re: Everything is back to square one for me because of legal requirements

Postby urodacus » 09 Apr 2012, 19:24

And who gave you a job as an English teacher?
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

209 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

Re: I do not have 2 years of working expeirence

Postby NonTocareLeTete » 09 Apr 2012, 19:37

Militarygamer wrote:Which means that I could not get a job except teaching. This is insane, now I realised that Taiwan is not a free country, it is not America, not Europe, not a migrant soceity, here laws are enacted to discriminate foreigners, no matter you are American, Chinese or Indian if you do not have an ID you are an alien. Here dreams cannot be fulfilled. I shall stay in Taiwan until my visa expries,(I have recently renewned my visa) I may probably get deported, from now on I will do whatever I want to. Experience what I do not, I may find myself on the wrong side of the law. I will try whatever means to earn money, try whatever ways to survive, TIA (THIS IS TAIWAN) so long farewell my friends.

I have a feeling the "two year experience" rule is bendable, depending on how bad your new employer wants you. Good luck!
Forumosan avatar
NonTocareLeTete
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

163 Recommends(s)
223 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 09 Apr 2012, 19:46

I am Asian and English teaching is not a career for me compared to the white man.

White man think um english teaching standards have slipped even further this year.

You are quite obviously not cut out to be an English teacher (although not primarily for the reasons you state) so why stick around in Taiwan? The world is a big place if you want to travel, and Taiwan's working environment isn't even good to local employees, nevermind foreigners. The other standard option for staying here is a student visa, either studying Chinese or (usually) a postgrad degree. Bursaries and grants are available.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

858 Recommends(s)
657 Recognized(s)

Postby ironlady » 09 Apr 2012, 20:51

Not to put too unsympathetic a point on it, but the two-year experience requirement is not exactly news. You have the obligation to inform yourself about the laws in place before you move across the world to take a job.

I agree with the posters above -- the world is a big place. Taiwan is probably not the place for you to get ahead at this point. Your English is not native-like and you don't have the paper credentials that would allow you to teach anyway, plus you don't like teaching. Those don't sound like good reasons to stick in Taiwan, unless there are family reasons to do so.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
321 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1987

Postby ironlady » 09 Apr 2012, 20:56

Militarygamer wrote:now I realised that Taiwan...is not America, not Europe, not a migrant soceity, here laws are enacted to discriminate foreigners, no matter you are American, Chinese or Indian if you do not have an ID you are an alien. Here dreams cannot be fulfilled.

And I think we've all learned a valuable lesson here. We're not in Kansas anymore, Toto. Taiwan has the right to enact any laws it pleases. For what it's worth, I don't think that a law requiring a non-citizen to have 2 years of relevant work experience before they start teaching (and incidentally making salaries double or more those earned by citizens in the same positions) is particularly onerous. Two years of experience is nothing, unless you are a new grad with no skills, no work experience and no idea of what the world is all about. Then it looms huge. Pay your dues, Grasshopper.

The second lesson is that just because you have a dream, you do not automatically have the corresponding right to fulfill it. That's a valuable step on the road to being in your 30s right there.
Terry Waltz, Ph.D
Click here to Finally Learn Mandarin!
Squid for Brains Learning Games -- not your nainai's flash cards!
...although his father beat him every day, wishing him to learn the speech of Ts'e, it will be impossible for him [at least using current methods]...-Mencius
Forumosan avatar
ironlady
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)

Location: A place where people can't sleep or teach English in McDonald's
87 Recommends(s)
321 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 0- 0-1987

Postby cupcakery » 09 Apr 2012, 21:16

Is that really enforced?

Im a newb to all of this and I really don't quite understand the whole work visa/permit application process... I have recently been in talks with an architecture company and they are willing to help me with the work visa, but they are going to try me out for 60 days for no compensation whatsoever....and if they don't like me then I just go home....I have also been told by an HR person that they tried out an Aussie for a while, but didn't like them due to a difference in a westernized education and lack of language skills. She also mentioned that I would have a better chance in Taiwan if I taught english. Is that fishy or what?

This process has proven to be quite a headache on my part...I have 1.6 yrs of experience through mostly internships that are mostly in the government/non-profit field. I qualify for everything else, but with this info, does that mean I can't get a work visa? And....therefore should not pursue this?
cupcakery
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby jkipp » 09 Apr 2012, 21:19

ironlady wrote:The second lesson is that just because you have a dream, you do not automatically have the corresponding right to fulfill it. That's a valuable step on the road to being in your 30s right there.

well said ironlady. :bravo:
Laws are made to protect people.
Similar rules as this ones exist in almost every country.
When my family migrated to Switzerland it was very tough for us.
We've been living there for 40 years and I still can not get the citizenship.
Compared to other countries, Taiwan is actually very relaxed on labor immigration.
Not to mention its so easy to integrate here. The people and culture are brilliant.
Forumosan avatar
jkipp

2 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

Postby pilam99 » 09 Apr 2012, 21:44

...and try getting a visa to work in the US or Europe, much more difficult for me than Taiwan.
Forumosan avatar
pilam99
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

1 Recommends(s)
1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Legal Issues at Work