Legal Question about leaving an Taiwan and Taxes

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Legal Question about leaving an Taiwan and Taxes

Postby SparkyDixon » 02 May 2012, 12:27

My issues is as follows and I appreciate any feedback...

I have been in Taiwan for a few days short of one month. I came in on a landing visa (I am American which puts it at 30 days). I have worked for an employer for about 3 weeks. I told them last week that I was not really liking Taiwan that much and have decided to leave. I had bought a round trip ticket from Thailand because I thought I was going to need it for immigration when I arrived. When I told my employer the truth about my deciding to leave, she became EXTREMELY upset. It turns out that my pay day falls on the day after I was planing on leaving. She told me, between screaming and profanity, that she was going to do the "legal" thing and "file the papers with the accountant, immigration and the labor department" and that I would not get any pay early. I understand that she is a bit upset, because she is losing a great teacher. Other teachers have said that she should really just give me an advance on my pay, minus 18% for taxes and file the papers later. She requested a copy of my plane ticket which I gave to her. She then told me that I would get payed on Monday (flight leaves Friday), and that I would have to go and pay my own taxes. I have looked online to see how much it would be to switch my flight to Monday and how much I would have to pay for an overstay on my visa. It is not worth it to me to do this. My question is...

If she "files the paperwork" and I try to leave on Friday (without receiving compensation from the school) is there a chance that immigration will stop me for not paying taxes on money I have not received?

Thanks a bunch for any advise on this.
SparkyDixon
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Legal Question about leaving an Taiwan and Taxes

Postby the bear » 02 May 2012, 13:03

SparkyDixon wrote:My issues is as follows and I appreciate any feedback...

I have been in Taiwan for a few days short of one month. I came in on a landing visa (I am American which puts it at 30 days). I have worked for an employer for about 3 weeks. I told them last week that I was not really liking Taiwan that much and have decided to leave. I had bought a round trip ticket from Thailand because I thought I was going to need it for immigration when I arrived. When I told my employer the truth about my deciding to leave, she became EXTREMELY upset. It turns out that my pay day falls on the day after I was planing on leaving. She told me, between screaming and profanity, that she was going to do the "legal" thing and "file the papers with the accountant, immigration and the labor department" and that I would not get any pay early. I understand that she is a bit upset, because she is losing a great teacher. Other teachers have said that she should really just give me an advance on my pay, minus 18% for taxes and file the papers later. She requested a copy of my plane ticket which I gave to her. She then told me that I would get payed on Monday (flight leaves Friday), and that I would have to go and pay my own taxes. I have looked online to see how much it would be to switch my flight to Monday and how much I would have to pay for an overstay on my visa. It is not worth it to me to do this. My question is...

If she "files the paperwork" and I try to leave on Friday (without receiving compensation from the school) is there a chance that immigration will stop me for not paying taxes on money I have not received?

Thanks a bunch for any advise on this.

Simple answer, no. You no longer need a tax clearance stamp to leave Taiwan so the airport couldn't care less.
I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific.
Forumosan avatar
the bear
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

29 Recommends(s)
106 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 02 May 2012, 13:42

yes nobody will stop you , but you will lose a months pay. They will likely simply not pay you at all for the month.

Thats why most taiwanese employees make sure to get their months pay before they tell the boss they are leaving. Unless they are on particular good terms with their employers.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

Postby Flicka » 03 May 2012, 10:12

Um, not sure if I am reading this right, but you were working illegally in the first place, right? She will get fined for hiring an illegal worker if she tells the authorities. If you are working illegally, do you really think she is reporting your income to the tax office?
Forumosan avatar
Flicka
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

1 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby SparkyDixon » 03 May 2012, 13:59

Update:

She payed me for the month and did so tax free. She had me sign a form that showed me getting paid without holding any tax. Yes, I did not get my work permit issued until the day that I quit and was working illegally. I only made 18,200 NT, (working part time) and now I am worried that she might call and tell someone that I owe taxes. Do you still think I am in the clear or should I go down to the tax office and offer to pay? I would rather not do this since I was working illegally, but would rather give the 4,000 or whatever NT then have an issue at immigration.

Thanks to those who replied to my last post.

Sparky
SparkyDixon

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Abacus » 03 May 2012, 23:09

I understand that she is a bit upset, because she is losing a great teacher.

I don't know the answer to your new question but I found this humorous.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

124 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 04 May 2012, 01:04

YOu started another thread with the same question? Porque??

heres my answer to that posting again here :

++++++++++++++
Is it deja vu or did i see this question already? If you don't plan on coming back for years, i wouldnt worry too much bout it. Just say Hasta La Vista before you board your aircraft and you are likely fine.

Repeat 3 times to ensure.

+++++++++++++++++

by the way, i very much doubt she reported you or will report you as she is not only going to be in hot water, but also shes not going to be giving you the 20pct of your income and be liable for it at the same time. Sounds like you "escaped" . Too bad u didnt like taiwan but its not for all.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Legal Issues at Work