Copies of my tax documents recycled in copier

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Copies of my tax documents recycled in copier

Postby taiwansa » 04 Jul 2012, 21:53

Hi
I just found copies of MY tax documents on the back of copies I made at work. They were preparing documents for my ARC renewal and recycled the unused copies in the copier. So I don't know how many students (adults) have copies - probably only a few, but still... So my question is if I can take legal action or if I should just let it go.
Thanks
taiwansa
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Copies of my tax documents recycled in copier

Postby keroliver » 04 Jul 2012, 22:13

My 2 cents...
Just let it go. Nobody cares. People look and forget. Maybe chat for a while and then forget.
You see, one day, I was visiting a neighbor, the principal of a big private school.
She gave my kids paper to draw. They drew and brought the paper back home.
How surprised I was to find out this was the yearly financial reports of that school !
keroliver
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

1 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Postby taiwansa » 04 Jul 2012, 23:18

Thanks for the advice, I know I probably should but I'm still seeing red.

:fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume:

keroliver wrote:My 2 cents...
Just let it go. Nobody cares. People look and forget. Maybe chat for a while and then forget.
You see, one day, I was visiting a neighbor, the principal of a big private school.
She gave my kids paper to draw. They drew and brought the paper back home.
How surprised I was to find out this was the yearly financial reports of that school !
taiwansa

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby urodacus » 05 Jul 2012, 00:02

you printed multiple copies and did not shred those you did not need?

Your own fault.

Get over it.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

208 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 05 Jul 2012, 00:19

urodacus wrote:you printed multiple copies and did not shred those you did not need?

Your own fault.

Get over it.

I thought that too at first, because:

taiwansa wrote:Hi
I just found copies of MY tax documents on the back of copies I made at work.

But I reread and do not think he copied the tax documents...he made copies of whatever, which had his tax documents on the back. So then, it wouldn't be his fault. The admin made the copies of his tax docs.

But if my first reading, and your reading were right, then yah, his fault.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 05 Jul 2012, 01:06

Its your "fault" for being in Taiwan . You asked for it, and you are gonna get it , again and again and again. Best adapt or lose your sanity. Its like not like its the real world yeah know?
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

607 Recommends(s)
376 Recognized(s)

Postby bababa » 05 Jul 2012, 06:04

Kojen did this all the time. You'd go to copy something, there'd be recycled paper in the copier, and so on the backs of whatever you copied you'd find people's resumes, tax forms, lists of how much pay employees were receiving, performance reviews, etc. It bothered me; no one else seemed to care. In fact I was accused of being mentally ill (by a psychoxiaojie co-teacher) for actually reading the pay lists.
bababa
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

21 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 05 Jul 2012, 06:50

Confuzius wrote:
urodacus wrote:you printed multiple copies and did not shred those you did not need?

Your own fault.

Get over it.

I thought that too at first, because:

taiwansa wrote:Hi
I just found copies of MY tax documents on the back of copies I made at work.

But I reread and do not think he copied the tax documents...he made copies of whatever, which had his tax documents on the back. So then, it wouldn't be his fault. The admin made the copies of his tax docs.

But if my first reading, and your reading were right, then yah, his fault.

Well, good point. Hey TaiwanSA: sorry.

Um, if you did print those yourself that's just silly.

But if you didn't then that's Welcome to Taiwan, the land where five strangers come into the doctor's room while the doctor has his finger up your arse.

the land where the entire family (four generations thereof) sleeps in your bedroom so there's no sex with the missus, ever.

the land where confidential documents get reused as scrap paper.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!

Too many people! Almost all of the world's problems are due to overpopulation. The rest are due to religion.

50% of the world's wild animals have disappeared in the last 50 years. Did you eat them, or eat their house?
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

208 Recommends(s)
266 Recognized(s)

Postby 2Enigma » 08 Jul 2012, 23:06

Agree. Just let it slide but I would have a smily word with the administrator. What they did was divulge private information which is illegal but don't point that out. Just suggest that this kind of information should go into the shredder.
BTW, I have a shredder next to my desk at home. All bills that I don't file away are shredded along with all notes from students, etc. The gossip mongers in every community are actually keeping an eye open for stuff about Westerners when they are sorting through the bins. They arn't being, for the most part malicious, they are just curious and don't mind spreading it around.
On a side note, after I found that one particular security guard in our complex was repeatedly reporting my 7-11 scotch trips, which, BTW, may seem frequent, really arnt, I went to our local Prefecture Office. Every area has one and that's what they do. Not exactly police but "keepers of the peace". I explained my problem and they immediately called the security company and explained that I wanted my privacy and to basically STFU. I'm not on his nice guy list anymore - probably never was but I used to stop in and give him a nip occasionally, but the gossip mill has stopped.
Keep ye company with those who seek truth and run from those who have found it.
Edited from Václav Havel

"Once, while lost in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew and was forced to live on nothing but bread and water for several days." W.C. Fields
2Enigma
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

38 Recommends(s)
19 Recognized(s)
In Taiwan since: 13 Sep 1991

Postby taiwansa » 06 Aug 2012, 22:42

Hi urodacus
I was hoping for a more, ummmm.... knowledgeable response, but maybe I expected too much...
So:
No, I didn't print "multiple copies" - in fact, the machine needed a service and (this is what I was told...) the guy asked for a page/s he could use to test the machine. They gave him my tax papers to use. I believe he made some copies and put it back in the tray.

I won't be so stupid to make multiple copies - and if I did, I won't be here complaining about it...

Your own fault.

Get over it.
taiwansa

ORIGINAL POSTER

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Legal Issues at Work