Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Techno Company Not Providing Work Permit?

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Techno Company Not Providing Work Permit?

Postby Confuzius » 01 Mar 2013, 00:31

So I have been offered a sweet second job, starting at 1200 nt/hr. Problem is, as far as they understand it, they cannot give me a work permit.

This is NOT a school, it is a software company, though I would be teaching a number of their employees English (I would still be an English teacher).

Is the company correct that they cannot give me a work permit? They say "as long as I have residency, even without a permit, they can employ me" (since I have an ARC) which sounds like total BS to me.

Its great pay, little prep, but I do not want to get deported (sure, no one is ever going to raid a software company to make sure there are no English teachers, but I do not want to get screwed next year when I have to provide my tax statements to renew the work permit for my arc based school).

Thoughts community?
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Re: Techno Company Not Providing Work Permit?

Postby Steve4nLanguage » 01 Mar 2013, 10:08

According to the Hsinchu Foreigner Assistance Center, unless you have an Open Work Permit through JFRV or APRC, "Employers who wish to hire foreign nationals to come and work in Taiwan are required to first apply with the Council of Labor Affairs to obtain a work permit for the foreign nationals they wish to hire." It does not differentiate teaching jobs from any others.

The OP quotes the software company, "as long as I have residency, even without a permit, they can employ me." However, according to the above, not all residence statuses give open work rights.

I think the OP is smart for smelling BS in this case. My guess is that the software company wants to avoid reporting income, thus no work permit applied for.

EDIT: I just noticed Copyright © 2008 Hsinchu City Government at the website, so perhaps the laws have changed?
People are buying an exotic, hairy, white-skinned person who makes strange noises, and that's what they're selling to the parents, too. — ironlady
Steve4nLanguage
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

In Taiwan since: 15 Apr 2008

Postby Icon » 01 Mar 2013, 12:21

If he has a plain ARC, the answer is no, as it was in 2008. No work permit, no can't do. Of course they can employ him, as in paying him under the table and not worry about residency or taxes, his or theirs. Of course, when the police comes around, they will wash their hands off the whole business, get a slap in the hand while he gets deported. Of course...

If he had APRC or JFV, then all would be semi well. Something does smell fishy.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

Postby funkymonkey » 01 Mar 2013, 12:30

You need a work permit (I'm assuming you don't have a JFRV or APRC). Most companies couldn't care less if you get deported.
Being in politics is like being a football coach. You have to be smart enough to understand the game, and dumb enough to think it's important.

- Eugene McCarthy
funkymonkey

Postby mr.wang2013 » 01 Mar 2013, 22:51

Thanks for the replies, agree with all of the above (just got plain ole ARC btw).

But why would a multi million company, with offices in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Japan and even other countries, act as though they cannot provide me with a work permit? Is it sheer ignorance? At first they thought they had to provide me with 14 hrs...but they would be my 2nd employer, not the first.
mr.wang2013
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby finley » 01 Mar 2013, 23:03

Apparently you can have a second employer officially added to your ARC, although I have no idea about the procedure or requirements. You'd need to ask the NIA. I assume the employer would still have to apply. If they still refuse, I'd walk away rather than risk it - they're obviously a shit company. Being big doesn't make any difference. I work with big (Taiwanese) tech companies that seem to make a strenuous effort to be shit companies.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby Icon » 01 Mar 2013, 23:29

They may not be willing to give you a work permit because:

1. they may really not know the law/procedure -scoff, unlikely but, give them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they've worked like that in the past, no problems... for them.
2. a company has to earn a certain amount to earn the right to hire a foreigner. not every company can hire a foreigner legally. Maybe they have not applied -this implies opening their tax records to the Govt. and we know not everyone is keen on that.
3. Maybe they have maxed their foreigner hiring capacity. Even at that point when they are allowed to hire foreigners, it is not an infinite number.
4. to you, the per hour sum is very nice. If they are not willing to give you a work permit, it means they are not reporting the salaries to the tax office and hence, no taxes are being paid. even if they are, without a permit, you can't collect the reimburse and most of all, there is a paper trail to follow. If they report your salary, they also have to pay NHI, laobao and other details over there. Turns out very complicated for some English lessons.

I agree there is a possibility to add a second employer, but that second employer has to be willing to give you the necessary paperwork, ie work permit. Remember that on a common ARC, the work permit belongs to them, they can deactivate it any minute they want, it is not yours nor it lives on in your ARC. Your ARC is just a reference. Also, I think there are provisions as limitations on that second employer. search that topic well.
Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante. Mafalda.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Eat the delicious food. Walk in the sunshine. Jump in the ocean. Say the truth that you’re carrying in your heart like hidden treasure. Be silly. Be kind. Be weird. There’s no time for anything else.
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Legal Issues at Work