Technical Writing Jobs - What salary?

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Technical Writing Jobs - What salary?

Postby Shonan » 04 Oct 2005, 17:50

Ive been applying for a fair few tech writing jobs of late and have been getting some decent feedback from a few companies. Most are asking for a salary range - I was on 55,000 as a teacher and dont want to drop to far below that so have been quoting 50,000 and upwards. As a first timer into a role like this, do you think thats reasonable or do I need to go lower?

Obviously I want to get into this kind of work but I also don't want to be fleeced.... :noway:
Shonan
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Technical Writing Jobs - What salary?

Postby irishstu » 04 Oct 2005, 18:00

Shonan wrote:I've been applying for a fair few tech writing jobs of late and have been getting some decent feedback from a few companies. Most are asking for a salary range - I was on 55,000 as a teacher and dont want to drop to far below that so have been quoting 50,000 and upwards. As a first timer into a role like this, do you think thats reasonable or do I need to go lower?

Obviously I want to get into this kind of work but I also don't want to be fleeced.... :noway:

Given your situation, I think what you are quoting is fair.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

90 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 04 Oct 2005, 18:03

You can't actually go much lower -- the minimum they can pay you (assuming that they're providing your work permit) is just a little under 50k.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby kellohitty » 07 Oct 2005, 09:58

For a first timer with no experience, that is a fair wage to ask for. Actually, you should ask for at least 60,000 just to give room for negotiations. Expect some negotiating. The worse that can happen is that they offer you less than 60 and you were already expecting that anyways.

The salary actually ranges from 50-70,000. As you have no experience, you would be on the very bottom of the pay scale. Once you do have a couple years of experience, you can expect around 55-60,000 at least.
kellohitty
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

Postby jdsmith » 07 Oct 2005, 10:07

Curious. What are the qualifications for this kind of writing? Does one need a background in the field at hand, or fluency in Chinese readnig and writing? Or is this a translating Chinglish to English kind of thing?

jdscratcheschin
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby irishstu » 07 Oct 2005, 10:14

jdsmith wrote:Curious. What are the qualifications for this kind of writing? Does one need a background in the field at hand, or fluency in Chinese readnig and writing? Or is this a translating Chinglish to English kind of thing?

jdscratcheschin

Depends on the company, jd. My job required no knowledge of Chinese. Also it's not a case of fixing Chinglish (in my case). It's a case of writing manuals and documentation from scratch.

Most important factor is that you're a native English speaker. If you have a background in computers or engineering, then this will be seen as a bonus. Obviously if you have previous experience doing tech writing, this helps, but is not always necessary.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu

90 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby Shonan » 08 Oct 2005, 13:56

Well thanks for all your advice peoples! I have the interview coming up on Tuesday morning so fingers crossed..... :)
Shonan

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby kellohitty » 13 Oct 2005, 14:20

In North America, technical writing is done by Engineers and mainly Engineers. It's assumed that you need a Engineering background in order to write a proper manual. Personally, I think the way an Engineer is trained to think logically and systematically in school, as well as the basic tech knowledge, is essential to writing proper manuals. Of course, that doesn't guarantee that the Engineer will also have the writing skills that are also required.
All in all, it takes a well rounded Engineer.

Here, you won't really find many experienced tech writing Engineers around. So many companies will settle for someone with some experience in tech writing or train someone with an English BA or tech background. Most people with a tech degree or Engineering background will not choose to do tech writing here, there are just too many jobs available for FAE, PM, Rd and etc. Many companies will just scrounge around for what's available as they are also unable to offer a better salary/hours than teaching English.

It also takes a certain type of personality to be a tech writer, mainly, are you willing to sit in a office typing on the computer for 8 hours a day? Do you like playing with tech toys and their components?
kellohitty

Postby jdsmith » 13 Oct 2005, 14:30

I suppose these are in office jobs eh??
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Re: Technical Writing Jobs - What salary?

Postby rahimiiii » 02 Nov 2005, 15:59

I have a question, what is technical writing in chinese? I am trying to look for tech writing in 104 but I have no idea what in the world is it in chinese...
rahimiiii
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Legal Issues at Work