Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Is working One on One Legal ?

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Is working One on One Legal ?

Postby rich12 » 14 Nov 2005, 08:17


I recently was wed in Taiwan, and friends here suggested I can work One On One tutoring. Is this legal ? Can I get deported ?
What type of Visa do I need to work One on One ? I will be leaving Taiwan shortly to go back to my own country, but will return to Taiwn, so can someone please tell me what type of Visas I will require to teach Legally .. One on One. Thankyou, Rich
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Posts: 11
Joined: 12 Nov 2005, 22:29

Postby maoman » 14 Nov 2005, 10:52

If you married a local woman, and you have a JFRV ARC, then you do not need a visa to teach one-on-one. Of course you will do the honourable thing and report your extra income to the tax office, right? :wink:
User avatar
Posts: 12290
Joined: 15 Sep 1999, 16:01
Location: Lotus Hill

Postby myury » 14 Nov 2005, 11:04

I believe that you can also teach one-on-one legally if you are a student of a recognized Chinese language learning institution (e.g. Shi-Da) and have been so in good standing for one year.
User avatar
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Posts: 238
Joined: 22 Jun 2005, 15:56
Location: In the deep end.

Postby Sam Vimes » 14 Nov 2005, 11:40

Wow, people are a lot more worried about being "legal" than I ever remember when I was in Taiwan.

How could one possibly be busted for teaching one on one, unless your student is a cop? (And likely not even then?)
Where's the flag for Ankh-Morpork?
User avatar
Sam Vimes
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Posts: 263
Joined: 19 Feb 2005, 06:46
Location: Tejas

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Legal Issues at Work

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 1 guest