Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Multiple Job Legality and Taxation questions.

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby jlick » 11 Aug 2006, 15:44

Regarding the question about withholding, this is a truly confusing area as withholding is done at different rates depending on the type of income and whether you qualify for the lower resident tax rates, or whether you are from a country Taiwan has a double taxation agreement with. If you look at the top section of the withholding statement you'll find what they claim your type of income is. Salary and professional services (e.g. freelance work) are completely different types of income and have different rates of withholding.

The one thing to keep an eye on is to make sure the withholding statements correctly identify whether you qualify for the lower resident tax rate. This part is on the withholding form below the tax id number box, and if I recall correctly this part of the form is only in Chinese. Basically if you've been in the country more than 183 days this year or last then the boxes indicating that should be marked appropriately. Some employer's accountants are too lazy to check the foreign worker's actual status and will assume your arrival date is whenever you started working for them.

To make sure that you are having withholding done correctly, you will want to visit your local district's tax office and check with the withholding desk to see that the correct rates are used. They usually don't speak English so take someone with you if your Chinese isn't up to the task. You will want to prepare as following beforehand:

- Whether you have been in the country more than 183 days either this year or last to qualify for the resident tax rate.

- If not considered a resident, are you a resident of a country Taiwan has a tax agreement with?

- For each job you receive income for a clear description of the type of work so that they can properly classify the type of income.

(If you happen to be in Zhongshan district the tax office there is at the corner of Nanjing and Songjiang Roads in the Asia Trust Building. The withholding desk is on the 9th floor just to the left when you walk in the office.)

GPhunk76 wrote:Where does one find a copy of "Article 51"? Online at all??

This refers to the Employment Services Act Article 51 which outlines certain cases where someone can apply for an open work permit which then covers any employment you take: ... wevta1.htm

Even better is the Article 48 exemption for foreign spouses.
User avatar
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Posts: 3038
Joined: 15 Dec 2002, 13:38
Location: 中華民國台北市中山區
In Taiwan since: 17 Nov 1999

Postby Dr. Milker » 22 Nov 2006, 18:56

Any update on this situation?
Did youz guys get your work permits?
User avatar
Dr. Milker
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Posts: 636
Joined: 22 Nov 2006, 16:48
Location: Taipei

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Legal Issues at Work

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 2 guests