Sending resumes as text only / attachments

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Sending resumes as text only / attachments

Postby sojourner » 26 Jan 2007, 14:53

I'm interested to know opinions on the best way to send resumes when applying for jobs at large companies.

Often, vaccancy announcements don't specify which resume format they prefer to receive. In this scenario, do you think it is preferable to send:

1. Text only with line breaks style within body of email

2. Word file attachments

3. .pdf files

?

Some career sites advise sending all of the above, but my concern is that it will look junior or unprofessional to bombard a recruiter / hr manager with so much information.

My big concern is not being considered at all if the company doesn't open attachments, etc...
Forumosan avatar
sojourner
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 249
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 29 Jun 2005, 13:10



Postby Rascal » 26 Jan 2007, 15:03

I would go with the Word file so it can be nicely formatted etc.
Sign here
Forumosan avatar
Rascal
Goddess of Fornication & Prostitutes (tōngjiān hé jìnǚ de nǚshén)
 
Posts: 8176
Joined: 15 Jan 2002, 17:01
Location: The other side



Postby irishstu » 26 Jan 2007, 15:13

Rascal wrote:I would go with the Word file so it can be nicely formatted etc.


Me too, with a covering letter as part of the email body.
"I am a leaf on the wind - watch how I soar."

DIY guitar projects
Forumosan avatar
irishstu
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
 
Posts: 8645
Joined: 14 Apr 2005, 17:45
Location: At work probably
96 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)



Postby Lord Lucan » 26 Jan 2007, 18:12

Word file attachment, no silly fonts or formatting. Nicely spaced out. The American MBA "I must squeeze my resume onto one page" is a pain in the arse for HR people.
Forumosan avatar
Lord Lucan
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
 
Posts: 6876
Joined: 18 Nov 1999, 17:01
Location: Taipei
4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)



Postby jlick » 26 Jan 2007, 20:29

The recruiters I've dealt with in the past have always asked for Word format resumes only. (Even those looking for UNIX wizards. :idunno: )
SUBWAY™ eat fresh! Free wireless Internet access at both Jimmy's Sandwich Company locations:
SUBWAY™ Qingcheng Restaurant: Urban One 1F #1 Qingcheng Street, Taipei. (Nanjing East Road MRT station)
SUBWAY™ Minquan Jilin Restaurant: #74, Section 2, Minquan East Road, Taipei.
Forumosan avatar
jlick
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
 
Posts: 3029
Joined: 15 Dec 2002, 13:38
Location: 中華民國台北市中山區
9 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)



Postby Brendon » 27 Jan 2007, 14:23

I usually send mine as PDF, and include a link to an HTML version on my website in the cover letter.

The reason is simple - I use a system called reStructuredText (reST) to do all my documents stuff. The PDFs it generates via LaTeX are just gorgeous - big margins, beautiful spacing, good fonts. On screen it looks great, printed out it looks a million times better than anything I can hack up in Word.

It also gives me the HTML version for no extra work ;)
Brendon
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: 21 Jan 2005, 22:18
7 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)



Postby Lord Lucan » 27 Jan 2007, 18:34

Brendon wrote:I usually send mine as PDF, and include a link to an HTML version on my website in the cover letter.

The reason is simple - I use a system called reStructuredText (reST) to do all my documents stuff. The PDFs it generates via LaTeX are just gorgeous - big margins, beautiful spacing, good fonts. On screen it looks great, printed out it looks a million times better than anything I can hack up in Word.

It also gives me the HTML version for no extra work ;)


A nightmare for a recruitment agency. But of course fine for sending into companies on spec. Resumes are copied and pasted into the recruiter's own database and format. They have to save the pdf as an rtf file and then deal with the resultant mess.

Any headhunter will thank you for a plain Word file, Arial and Times New Roman headings, no underlining, italics if you must, and generous spacing.
Forumosan avatar
Lord Lucan
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
 
Posts: 6876
Joined: 18 Nov 1999, 17:01
Location: Taipei
4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)



Postby Brendon » 27 Jan 2007, 21:58

Lord Lucan wrote:
Brendon wrote:I usually send mine as PDF, and include a link to an HTML version on my website in the cover letter.

The reason is simple - I use a system called reStructuredText (reST) to do all my documents stuff. The PDFs it generates via LaTeX are just gorgeous - big margins, beautiful spacing, good fonts. On screen it looks great, printed out it looks a million times better than anything I can hack up in Word.

It also gives me the HTML version for no extra work ;)


A nightmare for a recruitment agency. But of course fine for sending into companies on spec. Resumes are copied and pasted into the recruiter's own database and format. They have to save the pdf as an rtf file and then deal with the resultant mess.

Any headhunter will thank you for a plain Word file, Arial and Times New Roman headings, no underlining, italics if you must, and generous spacing.


They could probably just copy and paste from the HTML version, which has identical content. I admit though that recruitment agencies feature nowhere on my list of concerns :)
Brendon
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: 21 Jan 2005, 22:18
7 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)



Postby Lord Lucan » 28 Jan 2007, 14:07

Brendon wrote:
Lord Lucan wrote:
Brendon wrote:I usually send mine as PDF, and include a link to an HTML version on my website in the cover letter.

The reason is simple - I use a system called reStructuredText (reST) to do all my documents stuff. The PDFs it generates via LaTeX are just gorgeous - big margins, beautiful spacing, good fonts. On screen it looks great, printed out it looks a million times better than anything I can hack up in Word.

It also gives me the HTML version for no extra work ;)


A nightmare for a recruitment agency. But of course fine for sending into companies on spec. Resumes are copied and pasted into the recruiter's own database and format. They have to save the pdf as an rtf file and then deal with the resultant mess.

Any headhunter will thank you for a plain Word file, Arial and Times New Roman headings, no underlining, italics if you must, and generous spacing.


They could probably just copy and paste from the HTML version, which has identical content. I admit though that recruitment agencies feature nowhere on my list of concerns :)


Yup. And a pdf ensures that even if your target is using Letter paper and bonkers margins in Word your CV still looks good. I suppose a pdf file and a Word file would be the best of all?
Forumosan avatar
Lord Lucan
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
 
Posts: 6876
Joined: 18 Nov 1999, 17:01
Location: Taipei
4 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)



Postby Yellow Cartman » 28 Jan 2007, 14:15

Are you sending to companies in Taiwan or North America/Europe? If in Taiwan, suggest to put your picture in there as well. Depends on the industry and position. Also in Asia, many-paged resumes is a good thing, more information, the better.
Trillian: You idiot! You signed the order to destroy Earth!
Zaphod: I did?
Arthur: He did?
Trillian: Love and kisses Zaphod? You didn't even read it, did you?
Zaphod: Well, I'm president, I don't have a lot of time for reading.
Trillian: My whole planet destroyed because you thought someone wanted your autograph!
Forumosan avatar
Yellow Cartman
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
 
Posts: 3419
Joined: 23 May 2004, 22:20
Location: Greater China Area and beyond!
1 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next




Proceed to Legal Issues at Work



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 1 visitor

Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still -- CHINESE PROVERB