Sending resumes as text only / attachments

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby Enigma » 06 Feb 2007, 00:31

Recruiters do not have time to muddle through multiple documents in various formats. You will find that most require a text format. Prepare your resume in multiple formats. Then send the format that is requested and most do specify. If they don't, go to their website (do some research) and get a hint about what they are looking for. Think about it. You are required to sort through the resumes received and only forward the short list. If the recruiter forwards your resume that has been compiled on A4, it may be all screwed up when it is printed. Follow the suggestions in the advertisement but if they don't designate, do a word.doc but in a format that will print on the paper size in use in that country. I have been through this many times between the U.S. and Australia. U.S. is 9 1/2 X 11 and Australia is A4. If, at first glance, the resume looks fowled up, it's easier to by-pass than it is to make sense of it. It gets dumped and sometimes shouldn't be. Give them what they want but not in mulitple forms. If they don't have time to read it in one format, they sure won't read it in multiple formats.
Enigma
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

15 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby Quarters » 06 Feb 2007, 09:44

If you do Word, keep it simple. Their version of word might differ from yours or they might not have all the fancy fonts you have etc. WHich ends up in your resume looking jacked up. Keeping resume's simple and clean is a good idea anyways.

Right now (in Taiwan) I am using PDF (because I have chinese characters and a photo imbeded into my resume) and HTML for reference to my online version of my resume. Works great for here. However, I would not do this in the US.
Forumosan avatar
Quarters
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

16 Recognized(s)

Postby Chris » 06 Feb 2007, 09:56

Lord Lucan wrote:Word file attachment, no silly fonts or formatting. Nicely spaced out. The American MBA "I must squeeze my resume onto one page" is a pain in the arse for HR people.

The silly "one-page" convention, de rigueur in the 80s, is now passe in the US; still, it is not advisable to go beyond two pages unless you have extraordinary credentials.

Use simple black-and-white pages with simple, clear formatting; recruiters are not impressed by fancy colors and fonts, they're impressed by clearly accessible information. Also, don't include a photo on a resume going to the US.
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

78 Recommends(s)
169 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Legal Issues at Work