Legal issues reagarding doing demos.

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Postby R. Daneel Olivaw » 11 Feb 2007, 22:57

When I did a demo at David's English School I did the demo for staff members. When I was studying in my education classes in college we often used classmates to play the role of students. It doesn't show much about how you control a class, though. So there are limitations to this approach if the school you are demoing for focuses on young children.

I guess another option is to make a demo video. If you are still teaching you could get permission from your boss. Or, you could invite some local kids over and give them a free 20 minute lesson so that you could tape it yourself.

You could then burn a VCD and use that as part of your application.
In freeing ourselves of some of the shackles that held us down, we removed some of the bindings that kept us together.
Forumosan avatar
R. Daneel Olivaw
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Postby superemma » 11 Feb 2007, 23:05

R. Daneel Olivaw wrote:When I was studying in my education classes in college we often used classmates to play the role of students. It doesn't show much about how you control a class, though...Or, you could invite some local kids over and give them a free 20 minute lesson so that you could tape it yourself.

According to my friends in education classes the best part was when you got picked to roleplay "the bad kid" in the class, but you're right, this still doesn't equal children. As for the second part, if you want to be strictly technical in legality it sounds an awful lot like unauthorized volunteering...
superemma
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby R. Daneel Olivaw » 12 Feb 2007, 02:35

superemma wrote:if you want to be strictly technical in legality it sounds an awful lot like unauthorized volunteering...

You mean giving a free class to some locals to make a demo video? I don't think that would count. I expect for it to count as "illegal volunteering" you'd have to be working for an organization or an event that had a structure that you could report to.

Anyone able to give a definite answer to that question?
In freeing ourselves of some of the shackles that held us down, we removed some of the bindings that kept us together.
Forumosan avatar
R. Daneel Olivaw
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

Postby london-boy » 13 Feb 2007, 00:06

R. Daneel Olivaw wrote:
superemma wrote:if you want to be strictly technical in legality it sounds an awful lot like unauthorized volunteering...

.... I expect for it to count as "illegal volunteering" you'd have to be working for an organization or an event that had a structure that you could report to.

Anyone able to give a definite answer to that question?

Would it matter if someone here could? If I stand on a street corner and start selling onions I bought at a market, I'm working. Even though I'm not working for an organisation etc...

I feel the point is "what could it look like?" - and against that, definite favourable knowledge of the technicalities might not be helpful unless you have the capacity to force the law to be applied accordingly.... Perhaps I'm too cynical... And many of the posters here are far more experienced and esteemed than me!
london-boy
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby Whole Lotta Lotta » 13 Feb 2007, 00:21

Actually, I hear that technically you can't even be on school premises if you don't have your ARC punched through there. This means you could be in trouble if the school is raided and you aren't doing a demo. :loco:
Tra, la, la, la, la, la, la, One banana. Two banana. Three banana. Four...
Forumosan avatar
Whole Lotta Lotta
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)
Combat Zone Mama-san (zhànqū māma sāng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: Somwhere close to comfort and yet always too far away.
6 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Postby jlick » 13 Feb 2007, 11:34

Whole Lotta Lotta wrote:Actually, I hear that technically you can't even be on school premises if you don't have your ARC punched through there.

That probably comes from the people who "just happened to be at a school for an interview" but it turns out that they "just happened to be alone in a classroom full of kids" and then they finally admit that "yeah I was teaching but it was just a demo!" and then when it is pointed out that it doesn't make sense to be demoing if there is no one else in the room observing, it turns out that they were actually subbing for a friend. I really doubt anyone has been deported who wasn't even in a classroom.
SUBWAY™ eat fresh! Free wireless Internet access at both Jimmy's Sandwich Company locations:
SUBWAY™ Qingcheng Restaurant: Urban One 1F #1 Qingcheng Street, Taipei. (Nanjing East Road MRT station)
SUBWAY™ Minquan Jilin Restaurant: #74, Section 2, Minquan East Road, Taipei.
Forumosan avatar
jlick
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

9 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby david_in_taipei » 23 Mar 2007, 23:30

TomHill wrote:
Buttercup wrote:How would you do a demo with no students? :)

You would pitch the lesson at your potential boss.
I once took MrsHill to a demo and taught her.
I'm against illegal demo's too.

I had an interview in January and I demoed for the bosses. It was actually much harder than with students.

In any event, I hate it when schools here ask anyone to break the law.
david_in_taipei
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Legal Issues at Work