Click here to go to our new forums at
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Does English teaching qualify as 2 years work experience?

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Does English teaching qualify as 2 years work experience?

Postby perfumed » 28 Feb 2003, 11:18

If I work for 2 years as an English teacher (formal, recognized and taxed) then after two years can I apply for a work permit to let me work in a Taiwanese company... a trading company, for example?

Thanks.... will send you good karmic thoughts if you can help me!

Re: Does English teaching qualitfy as 2 years work experienc

Postby sandman » 28 Feb 2003, 12:28

perfumed wrote:If I work for 2 years as an English teacher (formal, recognized and taxed) then can I after two years apply for a work permit to let me work in a Taiwanese company... ie Trade company?

Thanks.... will send you good karmic thoughts if you can help me!

It needs to be 2 years experience IN A RELATED FIELD usually.
Manjusri (Wénshū)
Posts: 30176
Joined: 04 Jun 2001, 16:01

Postby jeff » 28 Feb 2003, 15:35

I don't remember how I dealt with that. Might have claimed experience from graduate school. Then again, I worked in the field part time for a few years before I actually got an an official job, so maybe I just cited my Taiwan experience. I don't recall it being checked out too thoroughly. I don't think teaching experience would not suffice, but I don't know for sure.
User avatar
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Posts: 980
Joined: 04 Jun 2001, 16:01
Location: Orange County, CA

Postby Feiren » 03 Mar 2003, 10:49

It depends on what position you are applying for. In its application, the trading company should call you an "English Consultant" or the like. Then your experience will be related and you may get the work permit. As I have probably mentioned before in these forums, the business of getting a work permit is tricky--you need to know how to phrase the application and how they are treating applications these days. Your trading company's HR department will probably NOT know how to do this and will mess up your application unless you supervise it every step of the way. Of course you will also need to do some research. I think there is some information here in this forum that you will find useful.
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Posts: 5099
Joined: 05 Jan 2002, 17:01
Location: Drum Tower

   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Return to Legal Issues at Work

Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 1 guest