Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Is my GF being exploited?

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Is my GF being exploited?

Postby Mother Theresa » 20 Sep 2009, 14:31

Is she being exploited?

Depends on whether she has other alternatives or not. You'd be wrong to pressure her to quit if nothing better is available for her.

Where to look? http://www.104.com.tw
"The internet is a monster over which we have no control. We can’t even turn it off." Jeremy Clarkson
Mother Theresa
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby kjmillig » 20 Sep 2009, 14:37

Basic answer, YES, she's being exploited just like most Taiwanese workers if you judge it by standards of the USA, Canada, Australia, etc. Believe it.
AFAIK, the national average is not $40k for 40 hr/wk, as most employees put in way more hours than than on average.
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race [except in Taiwan]. ~paraphrased from H.G. Wells
kjmillig
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

Postby headhonchoII » 20 Sep 2009, 16:45

Yes she is being exploited but so are most workers in Taiwan. I call it exploitation because the revenue of mostly very profitable Taiwanese companies is not shared with staff. There is a big income gap here between owners, managers and regular staff. Basically the regular staff get paid crap to make money for the owners and managers. That's the way it is setup. The NTD is kept artificially low which boosts exports but depresses local purchasing power (the opposite of Japan). The only reason it still works for young people to take these jobs is that they stay at home until they are married depending on the parents. To get the job in the first place it may be neccessary to have the foreign masters but it only boosts pay by 2000-3000 NTD/mth in most cases, an ugly fact. It is extremely competitive in Taiwan for almost any job as most companies have not invested in the domestic market in at least a decade, moving many positions and most new positions to China. It is important in any job to get a few years of experience and contacts, you can ask for more money then but even twice 32000 after 10-20 years is not a lot of money.

There are very significant opportunities for marketing people in China...but if she stays in Taiwan and works in certain professions she will have to suck it up, or else eventually go out on her own. The fact is certain areas in China will surpass Taiwanese salaries soon due to their larger market size and growth rate.
Claim to fame: smoothly cruising towards no.11 no.10 on all time greatest poster list.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

Postby On The Brink » 20 Sep 2009, 23:15

Sounds like typical Taiwanese/Chinese run business to me. I would recommend she look a "real" international company and hopefully a foreign boss. My office we've had zero turnover in 2.5 years open and applicants lining up at the door. Our direct competitor has a Taiwanese boss and averages over 100% turnover each year. Treat people well, pay them a good wage, and the dividends will be ten fold. This philosophy does not compute here. I hope our competitor's GM never leaves :)
On The Brink
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

Postby Chewycorns » 20 Sep 2009, 23:56

I get thoroughly amused when foreigners here complain about working conditions for the Taiwanese and migrant workers (Canadians, Saffies, Vietnamese, Thai etc). As long as they aren't being physically abused, as long as they have a roof over their head, and as long as they are receiving the money they negotiated they would receive, they should count their lucky stars. :lol:

Many of them are making more money here than they would in their home countries. Fact. :bow:

If Taiwan had the high salary structure, the high taxation (welfare state), and the red tape (over regulation) that critics on this site desire, it would be completely uncompetitive on a world scale. Then your girlfriend would live in an impoverished country and be paid even less. You would have to leave for greener pastures.

You should be praising Taiwan's economic model and telling your GF to look for another job.
Chewycorns
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

Postby jhoge » 21 Sep 2009, 04:37

Thanks for the input, guys. I guess I have to reevaluate the way I look at these things. It's just bizarre to me because, when we lived in the US, she was actually making a better living...living costs were roughly 3x that of Taiwan, but her pay was around 4x, plus free lunch and a shorter workweek. Not to mention there were lovely parks and absolutely no such thing as a scooter! :discodance:

Chewycorns, I agree with you about foreign workers -- I am one myself and though my work doesn't actually depend on Taiwan or its people, I do personally benefit from the low cost of living here. So, I'm certainly not arguing the structure, I'm just trying to learn whether there are indeed other options beyond the 70 hour workweek, etc.

Out of curiosity, what would happen if an employee decided to work a 40 hour week no matter what? Would they actually be scolded/fired, or is it just office pressure that makes them stay?
jhoge
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby MaXiu » 21 Sep 2009, 15:48

Even if they were not fired, some end-of-year bonuses are structured so that you get next to nothing if you don't work overtime. Most companies have really opaque rules on performance bonuses, using them as a tool to control workers.
MaXiu

Postby CraigTPE » 21 Sep 2009, 17:30

vodche wrote:I don't understand how one can live with such low salary. I mean, after all expenses (food, personal stuff, and entertainment) there's no money left for savings. Is she getting perks and/or bonuses every now and then (because I heard that's how it's done in Taiwan)? In the US, one can earn relatively low salary (with no bonus/perks), enjoy life with splurges and shit, and still have some savings left (except for those with expensive mortgages). The work hours aren't as bad either. :loco:

They live with their parents into their 30's and beyond. The culture leaning toward being frugal and saving, some (many?) families have accumulated a pile of money, passed down over the generations. Most (all?) of my friends, once they moved out from their parents', got homes bought for them by their parents. Not having to spend 15% - 20% of their income on health care probably also helps.
CraigTPE
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Postby Elegua » 22 Sep 2009, 09:50

Hell, I'm exploited. I feel like that every Monday...even though today is Tuesday I still feel exploited.
Pleasant it is, when over a great sea the winds trouble the waters, to gaze from shore upon another's great tribulation

"Lord, we ain't what we oughta be. We ain't what we want to be. We ain't what we gonna be. But, thank God, we ain't what we was."
Elegua

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Return to Legal Issues at Work