Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Is my GF being exploited?

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Is my GF being exploited?

Postby jhoge » 18 Sep 2009, 01:25

Hi guys,

My girlfriend (a Taiwanese native) works at a PR agency in Taipei. She has a master's degree from the US, works something like 60-70 hour weeks, has an hour-long commute, reads magazines for work on weekends, doesn't like her work...and gets paid around $32k NT a month. To me, that seems absolutely ridiculous, and I think she should quit. She says EVERYBODY in Taiwan is willing to work this hard for so little money...I'm having trouble believing that...isn't the national average wage over $40k NT/month for a 40 hour week?

Is she being exploited? If so, how can I convince her to find a better job, and what are some good places to look?
jhoge
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Is my GF being exploited?

Postby Namahottie » 18 Sep 2009, 02:04

jhoge wrote:Hi guys,

My girlfriend (a Taiwanese native) works at a PR agency in Taipei. She has a master's degree from the US, works something like 60-70 hour weeks, has an hour-long commute, reads magazines for work on weekends, doesn't like her work...and gets paid around $32k NT a month. To me, that seems absolutely ridiculous, and I think she should quit. She says EVERYBODY in Taiwan is willing to work this hard for so little money...I'm having trouble believing that...isn't the national average wage over $40k NT/month for a 40 hour week?

Is she being exploited? If so, how can I convince her to find a better job, and what are some good places to look?

Wow. Sounds like most Americans I know. Depends on what she thinks is exploitation. You definition based on your cultural background and goals is going to be different from hers.
@michellemalkin Just so we're perfectly fucking clear here: You're a crazy fucking shitwad. Enjoy your night. Read more at @MayorEmanuel
Namahottie
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

2 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby It is me again » 18 Sep 2009, 02:15

jhoge wrote:Hi guys,

If she would be able to find a job at a foreign company in Taiwan, she would still have to work hard, but certainly would get better paid - permitted she'd have a foreign boss. She would - however - have to be be willing to cope with the corporate bullshit, which in the end is not so difficult.
Forumosan avatar
It is me again
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

21 Recommends(s)
10 Recognized(s)

Postby tomthorne » 18 Sep 2009, 02:19

That's kind of the standard package for a graduate's first job in Taiwan. Don't put pressure on her because you know it's a crap deal.
tomthorne
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)
National Security Advisor (guójiā ānquán gùwèn)

217 Recommends(s)
179 Recognized(s)

Postby redwagon » 18 Sep 2009, 02:27

Ask Ma Ying-joke what happened to his '633' deal.

Half the locals I know down here in Taichung are happy just to hang on to their shitty 28k a month sales job. People who just graduated from Tai-Da are being offered that kind of money for an entry-level position.

The future for Taiwanese is China salary and Korea cost of living. It's like Londonization without the glamor.
Signature censored.
redwagon
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)
Thinking of Staging a Coup (xiǎng yào gǎo zhèng biàn)

1 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby TheLostSwede » 18 Sep 2009, 02:29

Sadly the answer is no, that's very typical for a PR company here and my GF wasted eight years of her life after a masters from the UK in a PR agency working a lot more hours than that. She did move up the ranks though over the years and towards the end she was on about twice of what your GF makes.

She's now working for a big international company and getting paid more while in general working fewer hours. However, she's also getting twice as much shit and has a boss that should've been fired a long time ago in most other countries.

It's not easy getting a good job in PR here unless you do your own thing, but without hands on experience, good connections and a good reputation, that's pretty much impossible.
Forumosan avatar
TheLostSwede
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)
Generalissimo (dàyuánshuài)

15 Recommends(s)
13 Recognized(s)

Postby zender » 18 Sep 2009, 08:45

Good advice so far.

If she has 2-3 years of experience, and is interested in being an "events coordinator", you can PM me. My better half might be able to find her another long-hour job with better pay. :lol:
zender
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

82 Recommends(s)
111 Recognized(s)

Postby vodche » 20 Sep 2009, 13:34

I don't understand how one can live with such low salary. I mean, after all expenses (food, personal stuff, and entertainment) there's no money left for savings. Is she getting perks and/or bonuses every now and then (because I heard that's how it's done in Taiwan)? In the US, one can earn relatively low salary (with no bonus/perks), enjoy life with splurges and shit, and still have some savings left (except for those with expensive mortgages). The work hours aren't as bad either. :loco:
vodche

Postby Tomas » 20 Sep 2009, 13:43

Very typical for a PR agency. If she stays, the pay will get better, but she'll have to wait for others to get promoted and vacate spots, or for the agency to grow. Is it a good one? Do they know their shit?

If it was my girlfriend, I'd tell her to go into something she enjoys that has some kind of a future she wants. Does she like teaching kids? Is her English fluent? She'd make much better money with much less stress as a buxiban and/or kindy teacher if she's into that.
Come on baby, you know you my home slice.
Tomas

129 Recommends(s)
158 Recognized(s)

Postby steelersman » 20 Sep 2009, 14:12

Hi guys,

The real exploitation is the education industry in Taiwan. People spend lots of money for buxibans, US degrees, etc and still make 32,000 a month. Does it really matter if you went to some crap university or got a degree in the US?
steelersman
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

10 Recommends(s)
24 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Legal Issues at Work