Legal work as a part time teacher and as part time salesman?

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: Legal work as a part time teacher and as part time salesman?

Postby fecuevas » 24 Apr 2010, 21:19

Thanks Icon. I have at hand a work experience history issued by the Spanish government, and translated into Chinese by a Taiwanese agency (yes, more than two years related experience). I hope that it is enough for them. And I think that the company has these requisites you have mentioned. Well, we will see.

Thanks Satellite TV. By the way, how did you know about the second work permit thing? I am just curious.
fecuevas
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Legal work as a part time teacher and as part time sales

Postby fecuevas » 12 May 2010, 16:23

Hi guys, finally I have got the work permit from the school, so I am ready to apply for the resident visa. And now the other company told me that they also want to apply for a work permit this week. My Taiwanese friend phoned the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to ask if it is possible, and IT IS, but you only can choose one company when applying for the resident visa, so should I wait to see if I got the work permit from the other company? Would be it too late? New health examination and second work permit application would delay the thing around one month? Anyone knows if there is a term to apply for the resident visa once you have got the work permit? Thanks.
fecuevas

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby TheBay2Taipei » 19 Apr 2012, 18:31

Whats up folks? After going over pages and pages of threads, this is the one that most closely represents my situation. I landed in Taiwan in the beginning of October, in hindsight I see that this was a bad time to find a teaching job. I was sent away many many times over the next month or so (mainly, because teachers just signed annual contracts a couple months prior). During this time I was lucky enough to land a handful of substitute gigs (I know they're illegal, but needed to do something), hoping to make a good impression for any future opportunities. I kept getting told that the schools only hired in June/July for the new school years or for me to check back after CNY, before the start of the 2nd semester. Not wanting to go that long without work, I kept hitting the streets. Soon, I picked up a very part time gig at a small buxiban, only 4 hours a week... But, it was better than nothing. This job was under the table work for the rest of the semester.

I left back to SF for CNY and came back about 2 weeks later, again, hitting the streets running. Pretty much all the schools that told me to come back after CNY, either already found someone or were keeping their current teacher. Good thing, I guess, was that my last buxiban offered me to stay on board, which I accepted. So after months of not finding anything new, my GF's brother is doing me a solid & is "hiring" me on as a web designer/programmer for his company.

My FT work permit was approved and I applied for my ARC on Monday, which I'm supposed to pick up on the 30th. The reason we went this route was because I was offered work from a few companies, that said that they didn't sponsor the FT work permit, and that I would need to get one before they could proceed.

First, I realize that I'm going to have to pay taxes on the "wages" of my FT job. But, I'm hoping that I will be able to get enough PT work where, I know it'll still suck, but won't matter that much. So, my question is can I get part time work at these buxibans even though my FT work permit is based on being a programmer?

I'm sorry for rambling, I know I could have kept it real short, I do that... quite often :loco: Anyways, thanks to you guys in advance. -T
TheBay2Taipei

Postby TheBay2Taipei » 27 Apr 2012, 15:43

So I'm supposed to pick up my ARC on Monday! :) So, does anyone have any insight into this?

the meat of things: If I have my ARC/FT work permit for a programming job, can I get some PT jobs teaching English? And, if so, how many PT jobs/work permits can I have at one time? Thanks again folks.
TheBay2Taipei

Postby TheBay2Taipei » 01 Jun 2012, 03:32

Tis the season for hiring new teachers! So, wanted to know if anyone had any info that would help me in my situation? Or now that schools are hiring, maybe just switch jobs on my arc? One thing I'm paranoid about is being at the will of my ARC sponsor if I go that route... or maybe I'm just thinking too much into that?
TheBay2Taipei

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Legal Issues at Work