China Airlines' Height Rules for Stewies a Problem?

Work Permits, Employment Qualifications, Employer Problems
Forum rules
While the moderators are happy to help point people in the right direction for legal assistance and to attempt to keep these forums civil and tidy, please bear in mind that an Internet forum is not the place for providing or receiving legal advice or for the creation of any attorney-client privileges or obligations. Also keep in mind that Forumosa and the moderators cannot conduct comprehensive reviews of all laws or legal concepts referenced or discussed within these forums – laws and regulations are updated and amended, interpretations do change, and sometimes the legal landscape can change very fast. Forumosa provides these legal forums for general informational purposes only. By using these legal forums, you agree that the information does not constitute legal or other professional advice and no attorney-client or other relationship is created between you and any other posters on these forums. DO NOT CONSIDER THE FORUMS TO BE A SUBSTITUTE FOR OBTAINING LEGAL ADVICE FROM A QUALIFIED LICENSED ATTORNEY.

Re: CLA ignores international regulation

Postby Chris » 21 Jun 2010, 12:02

TwoTongues wrote:What kind of shitty ass publication is Focus Taiwan that their editor or whoever let them use "centimeters" and "cm" in the same sentence?

They probably follow the practice, used by many publications, of spelling out the unit the first time it's mentioned, and using the abbreviated form thereafter.

I translate for a company that has this practice in its style manual.

(I disagree with the practice when it involves commonly used units like cm or lb, but it makes sense when it's for things like kilopascals).
Forumosan avatar
Chris
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

96 Recommends(s)
217 Recognized(s)

Re: China Airlines' Height Rules for Stewies a Problem?

Postby TainanCowboy » 21 Jun 2010, 12:02

And from Hooters Airlines China....

and yes, there was a Hooters Air...briefly

Ahhh...the memories of flight.... :bow:
"Pardon him, Theodotus; he is a barbarian and thinks that the customs of his tribe and island are the laws of nature" --- "Caesar and Cleopatra"...G.B. Shaw
-----
Kid Rock - Born Free
-----
"The big sisters are usually hot, but the dads smell of alcohol and tobacco....and have dirty feet with dead toe nails in blue slippers. "...Bob_Honest on "The Culture"
------
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes
------
Isaiah 40:31
Forumosan avatar
TainanCowboy
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

103 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Re: CLA ignores international regulation

Postby Buttercup » 21 Jun 2010, 16:51

sandman wrote:
Icon wrote:Arm span, I guess. (and what I am sure to be a typo, but yes, the requirements are different, that I recall, and can look up later)

My friend's wife is a trolley dolly for Cathay and can't be more than 5 foot nothing. No way in HELL could she reach into the back of an overhead locker. :lol:

I flew on CP recently, and the short lady on the flight stood on this little metal thing in order to reorganise and close the overhead cabinet. No problem, I guess. She was about 5' tall.

I guess if you are recruiting amongst Danes or USA-nians, 5'2" is not limiting your field of recruitment too much. Lots of East Asian women are pretty short. Seems a shame to turn someone down for those reasons. I don't really think a plane will ever go down because a couple of the women handing out the beeforchicken is an inch too short.
'Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof'

Before you lovingly craft your PM, make like any writer and consider your audience. With all the information at your disposal, is there any possibility that the recipient will open it? Would your time be better employed?
Buttercup
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 21 Jun 2010, 17:14

Nope, but if the plane does go down, you need someone who will be able to open those heavy emergency doors... Remember the Singapore Airlines lesson... I'd rather wear those Hooters shorts than long skirts. And definetively no heels on a plane.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
790 Recommends(s)
615 Recognized(s)

Postby Buttercup » 21 Jun 2010, 17:21

See what you mean, but a plane is full of people. If it's going down, no-one's going to hang around waiting for the tiny HongKong-ish drink-serving lady to open the doors. I guess it's about fear of litigation, rather than actual risk. The chain of events leading up a plane door remaining closed in an emergency due to a cabin crew member being an inch shorter than regulations is improbable. Maybe they should have a weight lifting test instead? That seems a bit more logical, possibly.

Icon, just my layperson's opinion, I know you have experience in the travel industry.

Before you lovingly craft your PM, make like any writer and consider your audience. With all the information at your disposal, is there any possibility that the recipient will open it? Would your time be better employed?
Buttercup
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 21 Jun 2010, 18:02

...which is why you have to make sure that the person sitting on the exit row is aware and able to perform these functions. You cannot wait for a six foot hunk to jump over panicked passangers and open the exit door, either. He mans the door closest to his seat. But reaching into a compartment to get a defribilator, an emergency extinguisher or other stuff, any stuff, is necessary. As I said, being too tall is more of a problem, being too small/ppetite might be a problem if you are not strong enough to hold a cart -up to a certain point, those things are very dfangerous and can get you hurt or seriously disabled, really.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
790 Recommends(s)
615 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 21 Jun 2010, 18:11

Icon wrote:...which is why you have to make sure that the person sitting on the exit row is aware and able to perform these functions.

Who does that? Seats are allocated at check-in. I've NEVER been asked if I know how to open those doors, and I've been sat there several times. Your saying there are height AND strength requirements, too, so why aren't the strength requirements mentioned? A 5-foot girl built like a brick shithouse is going to be much stronger than a 5 foot three beanpole, probably.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby Buttercup » 21 Jun 2010, 18:16

Why thank you. I never get that seat though. :aiyo:

Buttercup
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

8 Recognized(s)

Postby bababa » 21 Jun 2010, 18:43

sandman wrote:
Icon wrote:...which is why you have to make sure that the person sitting on the exit row is aware and able to perform these functions.

Who does that? Seats are allocated at check-in. I've NEVER been asked if I know how to open those doors, and I've been sat there several times.

They are supposed to check that the person sitting next to the door in the exit row knows how to open the door and is strong enough to do so. Yes, they often seem to ignore this safety rule - I suppose because of complacency - but once in a blue moon it is actually going to matter.
Maybe when they've seen you sitting in that seat, they assumed it was OK because you are a man not yet in his dotage and are of normal height.
I've been kicked out of that seat - once when it was obvious I was feeling sick (I had the air sickness bag out, and had asked the flight attendant for some gravol). They wouldn't let my teenaged sister sit there once because they thought she was too young; I switched seats with her.
bababa
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)
Time to Marry a Local (gāi qǔ tái wān lǎo pó jià tái wān lǎo gōng liǎo)

21 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby TwoTongues » 21 Jun 2010, 22:31

TainanCowboy wrote:And from Hooters Airlines China....

Those are pretty anemic looking Hooters. Like going into the Hooters on Ching Cheng, it's sad more than anything. There are more skimpily clad Taiwanese chicks walking around outside the Hooters than in the Hooters.

Now the Hooters Airline - that's practically genius. Did they serve Hooters awesome Hot Wings?
"Fortunately, I'm adhering to a pretty strict, uh, drug, uh, regimen to keep my mind, you know, uh, limber." - The Dude
Forumosan avatar
TwoTongues
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

2 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Legal Issues at Work