Tips on buying a new scooter

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Tips on buying a new scooter

Postby BlackAdder » 25 Jun 2012, 22:47

Hi all, wondering if anyone here has experience buying a new scooter? I’m thinking of buying from somewhere like Carrefour or RT Mart.

Anyone got any tips on things I should be aware of? For example:

1. What are those serial numbers that people get imprinted all over their scooter? Is that standard, or does it cost extra? I guess it's some kind of anti-theft thing??
2. Should I look for (and are there any) insurance policies that cover theft? Mine will be parked on the street.
3. I assume new scooters come with some sort of warranty? What's normal?

Any other tips on buying a new scooter ??? :notworthy:

BTW, I’m looking at the 'SYM GR125 limited'. Not looking for anything flash or too nickable. Any advice appreciated.
"For scientific leadership, give me Scott; for swift and efficient travel, Amundsen; but when you are in a hopeless situation, when there seems to be no way out, get on your knees and pray for Shackleton.”
BlackAdder
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Re: Tips on buying a new scooter

Postby navillus » 25 Jun 2012, 23:15

No answers, sorry, only more questions.

What are the pros/cons of buying a new scooter at places like Carrefour as opposed to a small scooter shop. Do the prices differ a lot? What about servicing the scooter? And if there are any minor problems will the chain stores be able to see to them?
"collective madness is called sanity"
Paulo Coelho, Veronika Decides to Die
Forumosan avatar
navillus
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

6 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Tiger Mountaineer » 26 Jun 2012, 00:51

Any other tips on buying a new scooter ??? :notworthy:

Don't buy a new scooter. No seriously, just don't. Why flush 60k+ on something you can get for 15-20? There really are not many advantages to new in the realm of scooters. Worried about reliability? Well, the fact that it won't break down too soon is hardly a big bonus because the most expensive repair (blown cylinder) on a scooter is under 10k. Besides, it will get scratched to shit the minute you park in public. And you sound worried about theft, so there's another reason to buy used. No need to spray paint squiggles all over that shit like A-Bei. :bow:
Forumosan avatar
Tiger Mountaineer
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

11 Recommends(s)
14 Recognized(s)

Postby monokuro » 26 Jun 2012, 08:37

Can't help about the buying new bit, but I'll add to Tiger's post - if the scooter you are looking at has loads of plastic panels like mine (I've got a Fighter) - you can replace all of them for about 3000nt anyway and have it look brand new again :)
monokuro

6 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby johnledoe » 04 Jul 2012, 12:18

1. Those serial numbers are to link those parts to you and your scooter registration. You can get it done at the police station. Most scooter thefts are for parts and plastic, so having those serial numbers all over the body helps prevent theft in its' own way.
2. Yes, you can look for theft insurance, but when I bought my new scooter, it didn't even cover a third of the cost. Also I noticed that the theft coverage went down, so in the first 3 months it was at less than a third, and upto the end of the year it was about 10%.
To me, it's not worth it. Just get a good disk brake lock if you are that worried about it. It will at least make you take your keys out of the ignition, if the lock key is on the same key-chain as the ignition key. (Leaving the keys in the ignition is easy to do and
probably the most common cause of bike thefts.)
3. Warranty is usually 3 years for the engine and 1 year for everything else.
johnledoe
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

In Taiwan since: 20 Jan 2004

Postby brohandy » 06 Jul 2012, 07:29

Are you wanting a scooter over a motorcycle because they're cheaper and more available where you are?
Visit Solomon Seal Tea, for health benefits of herbal tea, also Visit Spearmint Tea, or Visit Strawberry Tea, or Visit Tansy Tea and learn the amazing healing power of herbal tea.
brohandy
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles