Can anyone recomend a good BMW/Mini Cooper mechanic in Taichung?

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Can anyone recomend a good BMW/Mini Cooper mechanic in Taichung?

Postby TheBay2Taipei » 07 Mar 2012, 15:36

What's up everybody? The name's Tony, I'm a first time poster, but have been lurking around Forumosa for about a year. Oh, and I'm just over 4 months new to the island. Despite what my handle says, I'm actually in Taichung, not Taipei.

Anyhow, my girlfriend has a 01 mini cooper and she/her family ALWAYS takes it to the stealership whenever they need any work done. They take it to the stealership for oil changes!!! Just last month, her wiper blades went out and she called BMW to see how much to swap them out. They wanted $3000nt!!! they said some bs about not being able to just swap the rubber blades and having to swap the hole assembly... I said fuk that shit and had her take me to Carfans, paid something like $600nt for the rubber blades and they even did it for her there! took 10mins...

So, being that the mini is over 10 years old and the warranty has long past, I've been telling her that she can bring it to any reputable mechanic to handle her maintenance issues. Shit, I'd do whatever I'd be able to do myself, if I had the space and tools. I grew up wrenching, my pops was a mechanic for over 30 years, my brother has a weekend racer that we work on all the time, and I have 4 bikes back home that I've done much work on. I also grew up with a lot of the same kind of folks back home. So, if I didnt know what to do, it wasn't hard to find a buddy that had the know how.

Unfortunately, thats not the case here, and its pretty frustrating to know that these guys are trying to take our money cause they think we dont know any better... it doesnt help that I cant speak the language, so i cant thoroughly call them out of their bs. My bad for the rant but I do that sometimes. Anyways, does anyone have or know someone that works on BMW/Mini Coopers in the Taichung area? Like I said, Id really hate to have to bring it back to the stealership for ANY reason... Thanks.
TheBay2Taipei
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Can anyone recomend a good BMW/Mini Cooper mechanic in Taichung?

Postby christiangoodwyn » 18 Aug 2012, 14:51

I own a mini but never brought it to dealership because they charge too much on just a simple oil change! Simple work like this is easy you can go it yourself unless it is a mechanical issue of your car starts to bug down.
Fun in taiwan
Parts for Mini
christiangoodwyn

Postby sulavaca » 19 Aug 2012, 19:15

If I were you then I'd be getting of the car at that ripe old age. Minis start falling to bits after a few short years. If it's a daily driver then I'm guessing that her average repair and service bills would be greater than the repayments on a new car. That's usually my experience with them anyway.
Sorry I cant recommend a good mini/BMW garage down there. It certainly does.need to be an experienced garage too as the mini can be a huge pain in the arse to work on and very easy to break. They'll also need a good diagnostics computer...sigh.
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

4 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 19 Aug 2012, 19:18

Ah Huang! ... well know for his omni-knowledgeably of ... car mechanics, indoor plumbing and electricity ... house painting, welding and screwing-up! :D
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

2 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles