The Taiwanese are the BEST Drivers in the World

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Re: The Taiwanese are the BEST Drivers in the World

Postby tommy525 » 09 Apr 2012, 14:06

Driving in Taiwan challenges even the best drivers much less hapless riders like this fellow. Plowed right into the bicyclist for no reason whatsoever. He is very lucky the helmet saved his sorry life:

And the freeways really can be deathtraps. This white car didnt keep his distance and flipped upside down when encountering possibly a previous accident on the freeway or perhaps just a car next to him. The other car was hit and spun several times and caught on fire. If anyone was in it, they are surely dead and cremated as well. Hopefully that car was already empty due to previous crash .

The ones in the flipped car apparently got out.

Always keep a safe driving distance, especially on freeways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEclaBVV ... re=related

And this is the general (lack) of safety perception. Guy in the black SUV is either super brave or more likely unaware of the danger he put himself in to save his SUV in that manner. And they shouldve removed the dog from the front truck as well as having everyone stand clear in case that tow rope snaps. Oh well, Its planet Taiwan. Where anything and everything goes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cPZhFRc ... ure=relmfu
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

526 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 09 Apr 2012, 14:17

How did he manage to NOT see the cyclist? Reminds me of a taxi I took in Tainan once. I gave him a map showing my hotel location. After a bit of squinting at it, he says, "sorry, I didn't wear my glasses today" :roll: Yeah, that's OK, no worries, not like you need to see anything clearly while driving a car, eh?
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

757 Recommends(s)
588 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 09 Apr 2012, 14:29

Yes you really need the luck of the Irish to survive in Taiwan sometimes, or you have to be some kind of super person like this one :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0QlCeqD ... re=related

Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

526 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby Confuzius » 09 Apr 2012, 15:14

finley wrote:How did he manage to NOT see the cyclist? Reminds me of a taxi I took in Tainan once. I gave him a map showing my hotel location. After a bit of squinting at it, he says, "sorry, I didn't wear my glasses today" :roll: Yeah, that's OK, no worries, not like you need to see anything clearly while driving a car, eh?

Yesterday in Puli, I saw a girl driving her scooter in the rain. Since it was raining (and of course she did not have a visor, since they are so expensive, like 100-200nt) she was driving WITH HER EYES CLOSED AND LOOKING DOWN. (i kid you not)

Last week I saw some wannabe anime character teenager (you know the ones, with the seriously stupid looking hair styles all strangely gelled in crazy directions-like a tornado hit their hair) and he was brilliant enough to have half his face (and one eye completely...the other partially) covered while riding his scooter.
"Knowledge alone is transitory, the outcrop subsequent to 'I desire all things'". - A. O. Spare
Confuzius
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

113 Recommends(s)
76 Recognized(s)

Postby Nuit » 09 Apr 2012, 15:40

Confuzius wrote:Yesterday in Puli, I saw a girl driving her scooter in the rain. Since it was raining (and of course she did not have a visor, since they are so expensive, like 100-200nt) she was driving WITH HER EYES CLOSED AND LOOKING DOWN. (i kid you not).

That's so unsafe.

[irony]She should really look around at her fellow scooter riders, and get an umbrella.[/irony]
It's raining again here. I'm rising up like a beautiful bubble to the surface.

A wicked wind whips up the hill, a handful of hopeful words.
I was what you would call seriously strung out.
Forumosan avatar
Nuit
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)
Mando-pop Singer (Guóyǔ liúxíng gēshǒu)

73 Recommends(s)
89 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 10 Apr 2012, 14:25

And the freeways really can be deathtraps. This white car didnt keep his distance and flipped upside down when encountering possibly a previous accident on the freeway or perhaps just a car next to him. The other car was hit and spun several times and caught on fire. If anyone was in it, they are surely dead and cremated as well. Hopefully that car was already empty due to previous crash .

Looks like the car was empty. In their defence, its difficult to see cars when they are broadside on, especially if they don't have any lights on. However, the driver of the car filming the event took about one full second to realise and react to the fact that something was happening in front of him and apply the brakes.
Very impressed that people got out to help.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 11 Apr 2012, 15:04

Just came across this in that venerable organ, the Taipei Times:

Taiwan has the highest rate of PVS [persistent vegetative state] in the world. The number of PVS patients in the US is estimated to be somewhere between 15,000 and 40,000. According to available information, Taiwan had a total of 4,792 PVS patients as of 2008, and 6,000 PVS patients are now registered for care with the Genesis Social Welfare Foundation, a charity that specializes in this field. These figures suggest that not only does Taiwan have a very high rate of PVS, but the number of cases is increasing very fast. As to why people end up in this condition, the most common cause is scooter accidents, followed by overmedication.

You would think, even if the politicians don't care about safety, they might care about the money draining from the health insurance coffers. Lucky they can shift the responsibility off onto private charities, eh?
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley

757 Recommends(s)
588 Recognized(s)

Postby Belgian Pie » 11 Apr 2012, 16:37

Plowed right into the bicyclist for no reason whatsoever. He is very lucky the helmet saved his sorry life:

No apparent reason? What about ... too much booze, drunk ... :doh:
Belgian Pie
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1 Recommends(s)
62 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 11 Apr 2012, 16:45

Belgian Pie wrote:
Plowed right into the bicyclist for no reason whatsoever. He is very lucky the helmet saved his sorry life:

No apparent reason? What about ... too much booze, drunk ... :doh:

im sticking with "stoopid " :raspberry:

Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

526 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 12 Apr 2012, 15:37

Nuit wrote:[irony]She should really look around at her fellow scooter riders, and get an umbrella.[/irony]

Difficult decision: which to choose?
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley

757 Recommends(s)
588 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

Return to Cars & Motorcycles