YouTube video helps police catch unlawful motorcyclist

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

YouTube video helps police catch unlawful motorcyclist

Postby iix23 » 25 Sep 2011, 10:37

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/lang/ar ... 2003513599
Love this quote. " Motorcyclists at Grand Prix motorbike races are trained professionally before being allowed to race through sharp curves at high speeds by leaning their bikes close to the track. Chang, however, has never received proper training; therefore, it was very dangerous for him to make these sharp turns at such high speeds" I would answer,,, where do you think Pro-drivers learned how to drive like that?
iix23
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

ORIGINAL POSTER
6 Recommends(s)
6 Recognized(s)

Re: YouTube video helps police catch unlawful motorcyclist

Postby jaame » 25 Sep 2011, 15:25

Priceless ignorance on the part of the reporter!
jaame
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby jaame » 25 Sep 2011, 15:30

Actually I'd be interested to know how many people in Taiwan in any profession have actually received any formal training in their chosen field.

Examples off the top of my head are:

4 out of 6 Taiwanese teachers at my school are not qualified.
'm absolutely certain no one who works in Starbucks in Taiwan has actually been trained how to steam the milk.
Those grease monkeys at the CPI shop who installed my rear wheel with the disc rubbing on the caliper certainly have no idea what they're doing.
The current leader of the DPP doesn't appear to know much about politics.
jaame

3 Recognized(s)

Postby rk1951 » 25 Sep 2011, 17:45

jaame wrote:Actually I'd be interested to know how many people in Taiwan in any profession have actually received any formal training in their chosen field.

'm absolutely certain no one who works in Starbucks in Taiwan has actually been trained how to steam the milk.
Those grease monkeys at the CPI shop who installed my rear wheel with the disc rubbing on the caliper certainly have no idea what they're doing.

This is soooooooo true!
No one dies a virgin, life screws us all.
Forumosan avatar
rk1951
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby Ducked » 25 Sep 2011, 18:51

jaame wrote:The current leader of the DPP doesn't appear to know much about politics.

You say that like its a bad thing
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Forumosan avatar
Ducked
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

8 Recommends(s)
48 Recognized(s)

Postby sulavaca » 25 Sep 2011, 20:16

I wish they would use the proper verb 'riding' in these types of reports.

Personally if I were a Taiwanese policy maker, I would have the riding permits of anyone who leaned a bike in a "dangerous" (completely open to my own personal interpretation) manner revoked. I would also revoke the permits of any rider who turned in the opposite direction of a track that which their rider's test was conducted at, as all riders on small bikes are only tested riding in one direction.

Points would also be added to driver licences in cases where car drivers make more than one attempt to reverse at an appropriate angle. The licenses of drivers who require more than one attempt at parking would be automatically revoked. Warning buzzers fitted to all curbsides in Taiwan would be mandatory and these would alert police to motorists who weren't proficient in their parking attempts.

Random signaling and changing of lanes as well as cutting up at speeds would continue to be allowed however as they aren't part of the present licence test. Proficiency in these areas is only expected from professional racing drivers and thus doesn't apply to normal roads.

Also the licences of drivers and riders alike would be revoked if found to be parked on red lines. Red lines are often painted in areas where parking can be considered dangerous or a nuisance to other road users. Of course these rules would continue to not apply to police officers though, who can continue to park willy nilly at their own whim.
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook

This post was recommended by urodacus (25 Sep 2011, 22:50)
Rating: 5.88%
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

4 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Postby justreal » 25 Sep 2011, 22:41

So if he receives proper training, it would be ok for him to ride like that?
Living in Taiwan, where the girls are women and most of the guys are too...
justreal
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

3 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby justreal » 25 Sep 2011, 23:00

jaame wrote:Actually I'd be interested to know how many people in Taiwan in any profession have actually received any formal training in their chosen field.

formal what? training? but I got this neat looking piece of paper from the University that says I am qualified. lol
Napoleon Hill said "the world is full of educated idiots".
expounding on that, how many people are still doing what they went to school for?
Is there an similar cert to ASE here in Taiwan?
and, do you really need to know about politics to be a politician?
Living in Taiwan, where the girls are women and most of the guys are too...

This post was recommended by shawn_c (04 Oct 2011, 00:16)
Rating: 5.88%
justreal

3 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Postby jaame » 01 Oct 2011, 14:31

All I'm saying is, when you make a latte, there's a correct way to steam the milk in order to achieve the smoothness. If you don't do it right it's just hot milk with some bubbles spooned in the top. You could just make it at home yourself for a fraction of the price. Am I the only one who cringes when they hear the milk being boiled in Starbucks, then winces when they hand over the $110 for their wife's coffee, that she insistes tastes completely different to a $50 latte from 85 degrees?
jaame

3 Recognized(s)

Postby Joschka » 01 Oct 2011, 15:05

The guy said he was sorry. (Sorry he got caught!)

The rest of us would prefer that drivers did not get their practice on public streets!
Jim Kay
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"I like to think intelligence is contagious. Unfortunately, it isn't" Gore VIdal
Joschka

2 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Cars & Motorcycles