Honda Hornet vs. Ninja 250

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Honda Hornet vs. Ninja 250

Postby Rennes » 13 Oct 2011, 11:55

I want to get a 250cc bike. I still need to get a driver's license, and I understand that one needs to hold a license for 1 year before getting something bigger than a "white plate".

I am interested in getting people's opinions on comparing the Honda Hornet 250 and the Kawasaki Ninja 250. I know many people might say "just get the Honda CB 400" or even a red plate. I understand the logic and argument behind that, but for the sake of this discussion let's keep the topic on white plates only.

I think the biggest deterrent people have for these bikes, especially the Ninja, is the price. 200,000 NT is not cheap, by anyone's standards. Of course, you can get "more bike for the money" in bigger engine bikes here, but like I said, let's talk white plates.

The price initially was the big scary boogie man that made me not consider the Ninja, or even the Hornet. However, I realize, at the end of the day, when you sell the bike in a year or two, you actually make most of the money back. This means, you pretty much got a free bike, or something close to that. I spell this out clearer in my "Motorcycle Depreciation" thread.

Which bike would you prefer for Taiwan, the Ninja or the Hornet?

What are the pros/cons of each?

How do they compare in quality, engine power and overall performance?

I personally prefer a black Ninja's sleek look, but I also can appreciate the Hornet's more muscular design.

Also, which bike is better for carrying a passenger?

I have sat on neither, so still don't know which one "feels" better. I am 6'2'' though and know the Ninja is lower, so that might be an issue.
Rennes
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Honda Hornet vs. Ninja 250

Postby StreetSpec » 13 Oct 2011, 14:01

if money is not an issue but u want a white plate bike then I'd buy this
http://tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/b64771134
StreetSpec
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

Postby rk1951 » 13 Oct 2011, 15:35

StreetSpec wrote:if money is not an issue but u want a white plate bike then I'd buy this
http://tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/b64771134

I saw one the other day parked next to a brand new Ninja 250cc. I think they look like shit compared to the Ninja, but I'll bet the engine is better. I don't know though.

To the OP, I think you just need to test ride both those bikes first and see for yourself. They are very different bikes. I would get the Ninja before the Hornet because of the powerband. The Hornet wont be any fun to ride in traffic with power starting at around 8,000 and reving all the way to about 18,000RPMS. The Ninja only reves to about 11,000 RPMs.
No one dies a virgin, life screws us all.
Forumosan avatar
rk1951
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby maunaloa » 13 Oct 2011, 20:41

IMO, the Ninja is better looking and probably a city bike, with accessible torque from its twin cylinder mill. The Hornet is hands-down better everywhere else (see review).

Comparison here.
"Well, kudos to Kawasaki; the Ninja is a great, frolicsome little motorcycle with cool styling and a fierce (for a 250) Twin. It’s a great way to get started in motorcycling and remains an excellent way to get around. But our editorial hat is off to Honda. The CBR just plain works better everywhere, eliciting more toothy grins wherever it goes. On the spec chart, it’s about as impressive as, well, as a 250-Single-powered sportbike. "
maunaloa
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby B2FiNiTY » 13 Oct 2011, 22:38

that cbr250 sure would look nice in taiwan
B2FiNiTY
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Rennes » 14 Oct 2011, 12:50

I agree that the CBR would be cool, but that is out of my price range....

I know the Ninja is expensive, and the Hornet is not exactly cheap either, but considering, I could sell it after a year or two, and make most of the money back, it is a justifiable and good purchase. That being said.... I literally don't have the money for a CBR, even if I did see it as the best bike.

So, in looking at Ninja and the Hornet. Someone mentioned powerband...

What else. Which bike do you favor for Taiwan, and why?
Rennes

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby rk1951 » 14 Oct 2011, 15:34

Rennes wrote:I know the Ninja is expensive, and the Hornet is not exactly cheap either, but considering, I could sell it after a year or two, and make most of the money back, it is a justifiable and good purchase. That being said.... I literally don't have the money for a CBR, even if I did see it as the best bike.

This is not necessarily true. Plus a lot can happen with a motorcycle like a small accident, an engine/tranny failure or problem, chips and scratches or dropping the bike, ect. Don't buy just because you think you will get "most" of your money back. I want to remind you that both these bikes are more of a "niche" market and probably won't be that easy to sell. Your market for selling one of those bikes would also probably be a Taiwanese person, so you would need to list it on a website like Yahoo auction and probably need a Taiwanese person to help you with that. My friend here had a beautiful Honda CBR 150cc with low miles on it, taken cared of, babied, some nice aftermarket parts, always parked in a garage and never ever saw rain. It took him 6 months to sell online. The price was right too.

Why do you want to buy such a nice bike like a Ninja or a Hornet and then sell it after a year? If you are really planning on selling after a year then IMO you are going to have to start looking for a buyer in 8 or 9 months just to be safe. Plus it is going to start getting cold and rainy really soon. Not the best weather to ride. You won't want to ride your sweet Ninja or Hornet in that kind of weather. It starts getting cold around November all the way to March.

I'm just trying to remind you that both of these bikes are expensive, but also rare. So if you are really planning on selling it after a year you might want to think about buying something else. It just seems like a waste of money to me unless you were going to keep it for awhile. :)
No one dies a virgin, life screws us all.
Forumosan avatar
rk1951
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 14 Oct 2011, 15:57

You see hardly any of these bikes on the road. So few people want them that it would be a REALLY difficult sell unless you were prepared to eat a huge loss. Even then, it would STILL be a difficult sell, because its not the money that puts people off so much as the smallness -- you can get a very nice 650 for around the same money -- someone on here was selling a Ninja 650 for NT$180,000 just a few months back. Something to think about.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby smellybumlove » 14 Oct 2011, 18:47

ninja250 is a parallel twin, the hornet 250 is an inline 4 that revs past 18,000rpm!.
The hornet has one of the nicest chassis and sweet handling borrowed from the 90s fireblade (the rear wheel is 180 width and the front is a 16'') did i also mention it revs past 18,000rpm!.
My brother had one of those hornet 250s in the late 90s and after owning practically every significant sports bike up to 2004 he still says the hornet was the most fun of the bunch.
Its bullet proof too, so even a ham fisted retarded betal nut chewer wouldnt screw it up.
www.samuraiscoot.blogspot.com
Forumosan avatar
smellybumlove
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

1 Recommends(s)
2 Recognized(s)

Postby Rennes » 14 Oct 2011, 19:55

Ok, I think the two posts up there might be talking sense into me....

From what I've seen, the prices for these 250 sports bikes are incredibly stable, meaning that in most cases, the sell for near the value they were bought.

I had not been taking into consideration that there is a huge time frame needed to sell. I don't know how long I will be in Taiwan.... but if I need a 9 month buffer to sell the bike, then I guess I shouldn't buy one...... :(
Rennes

ORIGINAL POSTER

Next

x

Return to Cars & Motorcycles