Good website for used motorcycles (not scooters!)

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Good website for used motorcycles (not scooters!)

Postby Multiracial Man » 11 Mar 2012, 03:32

Hi,
I'm looking to move to Taipei from New York in the next few months. Although I've read a lot about the scary driving in Taipei (but then again, I'm from NY...), I'm considering buying a motorcycle there. I have done a lot of searching online for sites that sell real motorcycles, not scooters, and I have yet to find anything. Can any of the users here recommend a good site? Also, what does a decent used bike run in Taipei? I'd like to keep my budget around $3000 US (90,000TWD). Thanks.
Multiracial Man
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER

Re: Good website for used motorcycles (not scooters!)

Postby jdsmith » 11 Mar 2012, 07:14

Multiracial Man wrote:Hi,
I'm looking to move to Taipei from New York in the next few months. Although I've read a lot about the scary driving in Taipei (but then again, I'm from NY...), I'm considering buying a motorcycle there. I have done a lot of searching online for sites that sell real motorcycles, not scooters, and I have yet to find anything. Can any of the users here recommend a good site? Also, what does a decent used bike run in Taipei? I'd like to keep my budget around $3000 US (90,000TWD). Thanks.

whereabouts in NY? :thumbsup:

http://www.ruten.com.tw/
The site is in Chinese though.
Your warning level: [1]
Forumosan avatar
jdsmith
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

56 Recognized(s)

Postby Battery9 » 11 Mar 2012, 09:20

How big do you want this bike to be? ccs I mean
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

24 Recognized(s)

Postby Battery9 » 11 Mar 2012, 09:51

There are many motorcycle stores that sell second hand bikes. They buy bikes at a cheaper price, take them apart, clean the insides, replace what is needed, spray them over so they look almost perfect. I bought a 150cc for NT30 000 two years ago and it hasn't given me any problems. I would rather buy a bike from a store, not through a private sale, because stores usually give you free maintenance if anything breaks within the first couple of months.

Once you are here, just walk around local bike shop streets and look for your best deal. Here is a link of what to expect from a store. If you can read Chinese, the yahoo auction website is pretty good for finding exactly what you want. Here are bikes available here. There are also BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG bikes, if you're into those I can search around and see if I can find some stores.

http://tw.user.bid.yahoo.com/tw/user/Y6 ... 513175&tp= you can click on the type of bike you like to see the individual bikes they have for sale. I think those mini ones at the top are all new.
Battery9

24 Recognized(s)

Postby Multiracial Man » 11 Mar 2012, 10:46

New Rochelle, NY (Westchester), but I'm originally from the Bronx.

jdsmith wrote:
Multiracial Man wrote:Hi,

whereabouts in NY? :thumbsup:

http://www.ruten.com.tw/
The site is in Chinese though.
Multiracial Man

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby Multiracial Man » 11 Mar 2012, 10:50

I'm looking for about 250cc, not looking to drive on the highway (for now), but when/if I am, a 500cc bike or more is required, right?

Thanks for the link, Battery9, I'm wondering if they have something like the Kawasaki Ninja...I'm perusing the site now. Can't really read chinese though.
Multiracial Man

ORIGINAL POSTER

Postby sulavaca » 11 Mar 2012, 11:15

Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

4 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Postby SlowRain » 11 Mar 2012, 18:04

Multiracial Man wrote:not looking to drive on the highway (for now), but when/if I am, a 500cc bike or more is required, right?

550cc minimum. (I'm in the process of researching a bigger bike.)
Forumosan avatar
SlowRain
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

12 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Tiger Mountaineer » 11 Mar 2012, 18:37

You could also try searching Yahoo auctions or Ruten to get an idea of what's out there... not usually a good place to buy though--overpriced imho.
Forumosan avatar
Tiger Mountaineer
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

8 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby Battery9 » 11 Mar 2012, 20:47

http://tw.search.bid.yahoo.com/search/a ... =&ei=UTF-8

Here are some Ninjas, they are pricey though...there are other crotch rockets around for cheaper. Don't get excited about the cheaper things on the Ninja page, that is for modifications, paint jobs, engine parts etc.
Battery9

24 Recognized(s)

Next

Return to Cars & Motorcycles