I want one SO BAD...

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Re: I want one SO BAD...

Postby Mordeth » 30 Mar 2012, 07:00

tommy525 wrote:the ATOM ? wow. Thing is supposed to be fast , no make that FAST.

I think id like one of the new NSX, but the wallet says maybe one of the new subie/toyota reasonably priced hot cars (well actually the wallet says be thankful for what ya got ) .

Yeah, it's so fast that it's nothing like being in a car. It's much more comparable to being in a roller coaster. I was recording with my video camera when I went for the ride it in. It was quite the workout trying not to get thrown around too much from the G-forces. And for most of the video I'm screaming "NO NO NO NO NO NO NO" . I don't normally do these things in other cars. Quite fun.
Forumosan avatar
Mordeth
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

11 Recommends(s)
11 Recognized(s)

Postby Rockefeller » 01 Apr 2012, 15:13

How does everyone feel about the Chevy Volt? Personally I'd prefer this over the Prius, and when operating in all electric mode it produces zero tailpipe emissions. A full charge of the li-ion battery takes around 4 hours, fuel economy in all electric is at 94MPGe. Fuel tank capacity is 9.3 gal, EPA at 37MPG when gasoline-only.

If anyone is looking to reduce their carbon footprint and save money on gas or whatnot, I'd say the Volt is your current best best. Thoughts?

Forumosan avatar
Rockefeller
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
52 Recognized(s)

Postby Rockefeller » 09 Apr 2012, 17:28

How 'bout a flying car:

Image Image

Image Image

http://www.driventofly.com/

:popcorn:
Forumosan avatar
Rockefeller

ORIGINAL POSTER
52 Recognized(s)

Postby sulavaca » 09 Apr 2012, 17:54

Rockefeller wrote:How does everyone feel about the Chevy Volt? Personally I'd prefer this over the Prius, and when operating in all electric mode it produces zero tailpipe emissions. A full charge of the li-ion battery takes around 4 hours, fuel economy in all electric is at 94MPGe. Fuel tank capacity is 9.3 gal, EPA at 37MPG when gasoline-only.

If anyone is looking to reduce their carbon footprint and save money on gas or whatnot, I'd say the Volt is your current best best. Thoughts?

Try readjusting that charging time to take into account Taiwan's 110v power supply at the wall. You would have to have access to the 240v supply at the electrical box, and then run a lead from that.
Also fuel economy figures will change on the volt, depending on where the electricity comes from.
Personally, I've had a Prius for quite a few years, and knowing what I know about differences between American components and Japanese components, I'd go Prius every time.
I like the idea of the Volt, and I commend Chevy for having a go. True competition is almost always a good thing in the car market. Prius has so many new models out this year though, and given their track record, it's going to be a very hard series to beat!
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

4 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby Rockefeller » 10 Apr 2012, 04:23

sulavaca wrote:Try readjusting that charging time to take into account Taiwan's 110v power supply at the wall. You would have to have access to the 240v supply at the electrical box, and then run a lead from that.
Also fuel economy figures will change on the volt, depending on where the electricity comes from.
Personally, I've had a Prius for quite a few years, and knowing what I know about differences between American components and Japanese components, I'd go Prius every time.
I like the idea of the Volt, and I commend Chevy for having a go. True competition is almost always a good thing in the car market. Prius has so many new models out this year though, and given their track record, it's going to be a very hard series to beat!

True, some friendly competition is always good. You know what else I'd get if I had the dough though? Behold:

The Tesla Roadster. This puppy is a BEV, runs 244mi on a single charge, 120MPGe, 248 hp, 0-60 in 3.7 seconds, top speed electronically limited to 125mph. And of course all this is using not a drop of gasoline so it has absolutely no tailpipe emissions. :thumbsup:
Forumosan avatar
Rockefeller

ORIGINAL POSTER
52 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 10 Apr 2012, 06:13

and if you charge it using electricity from a nuclear power station, you could legitimately claim that your car was nuclear powered.
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

169 Recommends(s)
215 Recognized(s)

Postby Rockefeller » 12 Apr 2012, 23:01

urodacus wrote:and if you charge it using electricity from a nuclear power station, you could legitimately claim that your car was nuclear powered.

yeehaw!
Forumosan avatar
Rockefeller

ORIGINAL POSTER
52 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 13 Apr 2012, 02:12

Drove an R8 manual v10 for about 15mins the other day. Man! I must admit i quite like the thing ! Wish I had one for sure! And make mine a stick as well.

iv seen a few volts. Nice looking thing, but its expensive . The LEAF by Nissan seems to be catching on as a second car. Its a great second car for quick runs out to get groceries and a bite to eat.

Another hugely popular car these days around here (bay area) is the Fiat 500 ! Cute little bugger. Bout 17,000 for a new one makes it very affordable. Same price level as a toyota whatchamacallit, the tiny one or a mazda 2.

TV advertising is huge on the thing. And at 169 a month to lease, i almost want one and I don't need it.
the driveller - tommy525
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

477 Recommends(s)
316 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 20 Apr 2012, 10:17

Now this, this would be a dream:
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/ram-reva ... autos_2619

The new Ram 2013.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

529 Recommends(s)
411 Recognized(s)

Postby Ducked » 27 Apr 2012, 07:57

Icon wrote:Now this, this would be a dream:
http://editorial.autos.msn.com/ram-reva ... autos_2619

The new Ram 2013.

If you'd been eating chilli before bedtime, maybe....

A detail caught my eye: "The transmission is controlled by a new dash-mounted rotary dial. Ram says it enables quick, blind shifts from reverse to drive when towing or plowing " (my italics)

People really use these things for ploughing (my preferred alternate spelling), or is that just some kind of ...um....excuse?
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Forumosan avatar
Ducked
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

7 Recommends(s)
43 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Cars & Motorcycles