Click here to go to our new forums at http://tw.forumosa.com
If you are a Forumosan Regular, when you log in for the FIRST TIME, you must RESET your password by using the Password Recovery system.

Usernames on the new forums must not contain any SPACES and must end with LETTER or a NUMBER; if yours does, you will be prompted to change your Username
Contact us at admin(at)forumosa(dot)com or @forumosa on Twitter or on our Facebook Page if you have any questions or problems logging back in

Well blow my socks off! Please share!

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Re: Well blow my socks off! Please share!

Postby sulavaca » 03 Apr 2012, 19:23

Ducked wrote:I'm assuming above (I suppose because the guy seems to be Australian) that this isn't a trick, i.e. the guy believes what he's saying, though he's presumably wrong.

Why would he be presumably wrong? I'm not arguing either way here, but why presume he's wrong or right?
I would say that his invention should be tested to find out how and why it manages to run with so little fuel. After examining it carefully, I might be able to ascertain more clearly what his experiment is demonstrating exactly. Even he said himself in his video that he only made this discovery whilst doing some testing along the way, as part of his longer term project. I don't think he was prepared to find that it actually ran in this manner. This is of course as I would expect as he is trying to discover new principles for himself and so each step he is taking is producing interesting and new results.
I'm interested in his work and will continue to follow to see how things turn out. He's not the only one working on this type of technology at the moment, and there are a few other videos out there which are also interesting in different ways, but they are all working towards the goal of more efficient engines and system principles.
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby finley » 03 Apr 2012, 19:45

I would say that his invention should be tested to find out how and why it manages to run with so little fuel.

I must say it seems odd that it keeps going with so little fuel going in there - although there is undoubtedly something going in. OTOH he may just have an engine that's tuned to operate very efficiently at tickover. If you've ever seen one of those stirling engines that operates on body heat, you'll realise it's possible to get frictional losses pretty close to zero.
but they are all working towards the goal of more efficient engines and system principles.

Existing engine designs are already close to the Carnot limit. There probably are better ways of using engines to give an improvement in system efficiency, usefulness, reliability, or cost, but I can't see any possibility of improving the fuel-burning performance of the engine itself.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley
Entering Second Childhood (èrdù tóngnián qī)

Postby sulavaca » 03 Apr 2012, 20:46

finley wrote:Existing engine designs are already close to the Carnot limit. There probably are better ways of using engines to give an improvement in system efficiency, usefulness, reliability, or cost, but I can't see any possibility of improving the fuel-burning performance of the engine itself.

Yes, but the engines I'm following do not use traditional fuels or systems.
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
sulavaca

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby finley » 03 Apr 2012, 20:58

sulavaca wrote:Yes, but the engines I'm following do not use traditional fuels or systems.

Sure, but the Carnot efficiency limit derives directly from the basic laws of thermodynamics. If your engine involves extraction of energy from a heat flow (from hot source to cold sink) then the limit applies. It can run on monkey spunk and the result is the same.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
finley

Postby Ducked » 03 Apr 2012, 21:36

sulavaca wrote:
Ducked wrote:I'm assuming above (I suppose because the guy seems to be Australian) that this isn't a trick, i.e. the guy believes what he's saying, though he's presumably wrong.

Why would he be presumably wrong? I'm not arguing either way here, but why presume he's wrong or right?
I would say that his invention should be tested to find out how and why it manages to run with so little fuel. After examining it carefully, I might be able to ascertain more clearly what his experiment is demonstrating exactly. Even he said himself in his video that he only made this discovery whilst doing some testing along the way, as part of his longer term project. I don't think he was prepared to find that it actually ran in this manner. This is of course as I would expect as he is trying to discover new principles for himself and so each step he is taking is producing interesting and new results.
I'm interested in his work and will continue to follow to see how things turn out. He's not the only one working on this type of technology at the moment, and there are a few other videos out there which are also interesting in different ways, but they are all working towards the goal of more efficient engines and system principles.

If I may make so bold, (and so underlined) that's a partial quote, out of context.

This is what I actually wrote

If we have to account for possible tricks, it gets easier, but more complicated.

If I wanted to get this to apparently work with the mechanism intact and as described, I'd try accidentally tipping some hydrogen peroxide into the water.

Might not work but it'd be exciting.

Certainly more exiting than prematurely faking-up a video for April 1st.

However, playing along, as I said above, as the system is represented, fuel is not the problem, and is a red herring within a red poisson d'avril.

Oxygen is (or would be) the problem.
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Ducked
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby sulavaca » 03 Apr 2012, 21:47

finley wrote:
sulavaca wrote:Yes, but the engines I'm following do not use traditional fuels or systems.

Sure, but the Carnot efficiency limit derives directly from the basic laws of thermodynamics. If your engine involves extraction of energy from a heat flow (from hot source to cold sink) then the limit applies. It can run on monkey spunk and the result is the same.

Yes, I understand your point. I'm not sure that this particular engine works in such a way however. Hey that's an idea though. Has anyone actually tried monkey spunk before? That could be a solution to a future global energy crisis.

Most internal combustion engines spend their heat through their exhausts. This particular engine design hints at being able to recycle its spent heat by cooling the exhaust.
sulavaca

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Ducked » 03 Apr 2012, 21:54

sulavaca wrote:
finley wrote:

Yes, I understand your point. I'm not sure that this particular engine works in such a way however. Hey that's an idea though. Has anyone actually tried monkey spunk before? That could be a solution to a future global energy crisis.

Time to ....er...come clean, Mr S? (OK, only a little prematurely)

(We all come from monkey's, after all, and most of us become them.)

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Ducked
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby sulavaca » 07 Apr 2012, 23:11

As per usual, please try to share. Can anyone explain this?

sulavaca

{ AUTHOR_TOPIC }

Postby Ducked » 08 Apr 2012, 08:05

sulavaca wrote:
Most internal combustion engines spend their heat through their exhausts. This particular engine design hints at being able to recycle its spent heat by cooling the exhaust.

I dunno what it hints at, but its an air-cooled engine.

How do you imagine the heat from the exhaust cooling liquid makes it back into the engine?

Give us a hint.

Ducked
"Drinks for the House!"

Postby Ducked » 08 Apr 2012, 08:18

sulavaca wrote:As per usual, please try to share. Can anyone explain this?

I'll assume this isn't an April Fool. Maybe the last one wasn't either, but in defence of my scepticism, I'd say if you want this kind of thing to be taken at face value, so you bring to bear the massive collective intellectual horseshit horsepower that is Forumosa, the beginning of April is not the time to be posting it.

Oh, and I don't understand it.

I don't understand what he's apparently trying to do, and I don't understand his circuit. But then I don't very often understand circuits.

Guessing re his mystery high voltage, he's got an ignition coil in there. The HV output doesn'y seem to be connected, but if the primary circuit is firing intermittantly (perhaps due to diode breakdown??) the resultant HV could perhaps be leaking.

Ducked
"Drinks for the House!"

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Return to Cars & Motorcycles