Can I buy a car with an ARC with 2 months left on it?

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Can I buy a car with an ARC with 2 months left on it?

Postby Micahel » 03 Apr 2012, 23:12

I have an ARC that expires in 2 months. My employer is working on a 1 to 2 year extension. Since I will be here for a while I want to go ahead and buy a car. Can I do it now?
Forumosan avatar
Micahel
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: Where unhappy people do not spread their misery on social media all day
23 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Re: Can I buy a car with an ARC with 2 months left on it?

Postby rk1951 » 04 Apr 2012, 01:11

Micahel wrote:I have an ARC that expires in 2 months. My employer is working on a 1 to 2 year extension. Since I will be here for a while I want to go ahead and buy a car. Can I do it now?

Yes!
No one dies a virgin, life screws us all.
Forumosan avatar
rk1951
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby Micahel » 04 Apr 2012, 17:07

Micahel wrote:I have an ARC that expires in 2 months. My employer is working on a 1 to 2 year extension. Since I will be here for a while I want to go ahead and buy a car. Can I do it now?

Thanks. Also, how much are the yearly car taxes. Somewhere I read, or someone told me they are high. Are taxes assessed by the value of the car, engine size, luxury,...other?
Forumosan avatar
Micahel

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: Where unhappy people do not spread their misery on social media all day
23 Recommends(s)
40 Recognized(s)

Postby rk1951 » 05 Apr 2012, 14:29

Micahel wrote:

Thanks. Also, how much are the yearly car taxes. Somewhere I read, or someone told me they are high. Are taxes assessed by the value of the car, engine size, luxury,...other?

I actually just bought a car, a 1998. With everything all said and done, taxes, insurance, and transferring the papers into my name is cost me $14,000nt for the year.

I think it depends on the year of your car, but expect to pay $10-12,000nt a year in taxes and registration. I am new to owning a car here, so I am sure someone else on this board can give you a more accurate number.
No one dies a virgin, life screws us all.
Forumosan avatar
rk1951

10 Recognized(s)

Postby sulavaca » 05 Apr 2012, 14:48

I have provided a list of government fees if you wish to pay them here: http://actaiwan.com/typical_motoring_costs.php
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

4 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

Postby Pingdong » 10 Apr 2012, 02:44

remember when buying a used car to only pay the REMAINING taxes/insurance. if you are buying a car that has been insured for 6 months already, make sure you dont pay those 6 months.

we pay about 13k a year for a 98 ford. our VW van was about 19k/year. cheaper than Canada...
Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles