Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Trying to Buy a REAL Used Motorcyle - Frustrating

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Trying to Buy a REAL Used Motorcyle - Frustrating

Postby Micahel » 05 Apr 2012, 13:39

Interested in buying a real motorcycle (big touring size, 1000CC +). So far my efforts have been frustrating so I bought a scooter as an interim (only 875 cc less than my last bike). In general;
1) Have not found many big bikes (touring size), period. Surprised, so close to Japan.
2) Everything I found I could buy in US for about have the price (really, I have owned 3 used BMW touring bikes).
3) Very few MC shops, and their inventory is very limited.
4) About half the bikes I found do not have a title. Wow, whats with that?

Is my perspective wrong, or have some of you actually had POSITIVE experiences trying to buy a big bike?

Mike
Forumosan avatar
Micahel
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: Where unhappy people do not spread their misery on social media all day
19 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Re: Trying to Buy a REAL Used Motorcyle - Frustrating

Postby Okami » 05 Apr 2012, 14:21

You're going to have some difficulty because taxes are high, selection is low and not all that many people know how to work on big bikes.

Would you really want to go touring on a motorcycle in Taiwan? I can barely tolerate driving a car here for any length of time. The roads, traffic systems and other drivers just make it a seriously unfun experience.

Taiwan has an active smuggling system and they bring in all kinds of stuff large motorcycles being one of them. For example: Steal motorcycle in Japan or The US, smuggle to Taiwan and after shipping, bribes and theft it's all profit.
Professor Walter Williams has remarked that he’s glad he went to college “before it became fashionable for white people to like black people.”
Forumosan avatar
Okami
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)
Second Landlord (èr fáng dōng)

8 Recommends(s)
22 Recognized(s)

Postby Rennes » 05 Apr 2012, 18:18

Welcome to Taiwan
Rennes
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby SlowRain » 05 Apr 2012, 21:46

Micahel wrote:1) Have not found many big bikes (touring size), period. Surprised, so close to Japan.
2) Everything I found I could buy in US for about have the price (really, I have owned 3 used BMW touring bikes).
3) Very few MC shops, and their inventory is very limited.
4) About half the bikes I found do not have a title. Wow, whats with that?

As has been said: Welcome to Taiwan.

Prices here are almost double the US's because of import duties, taxes, inspections, etc. It's intentional on the part of the government, and they show no signs of wanting to change.

I'm in the same situation as you. Maybe a group-buy. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Forumosan avatar
SlowRain
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

13 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Micahel » 08 Apr 2012, 08:48

Okami wrote:You're going to have some difficulty because taxes are high, selection is low and not all that many people know how to work on big bikes.

Would you really want to go touring on a motorcycle in Taiwan? I can barely tolerate driving a car here for any length of time. The roads, traffic systems and other drivers just make it a seriously unfun experience.

Taiwan has an active smuggling system and they bring in all kinds of stuff large motorcycles being one of them. For example: Steal motorcycle in Japan or The US, smuggle to Taiwan and after shipping, bribes and theft it's all profit.

Probably some touring but mainly I would ride the big bike instead of the scooter. Driving a car is is painful sometimes with the traffic, I prefer the scooter and still would like a big bike.
Forumosan avatar
Micahel

ORIGINAL POSTER
Location: Where unhappy people do not spread their misery on social media all day
19 Recommends(s)
18 Recognized(s)

Postby feropont » 08 Apr 2012, 15:14

I assume you already driving scooter here for at least 1 year and went to school to get your big motorcycle license?
feropont

4 Recommends(s)

Postby PigBloodCake » 09 Apr 2012, 10:57

SlowRain wrote:Prices here are almost double the US's because of import duties, taxes, inspections, etc. It's intentional on the part of the government, and they show no signs of wanting to change.

And here we thought WTO entry would have rectified this problem :no-no:
Life is a bitch and death is her sister.

I got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell.
PigBloodCake
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)

9 Recommends(s)
27 Recognized(s)

Postby schatbot » 10 Apr 2012, 10:54

Big bikes were until recently robustly and purposefully banned on the island. Its only recently that they even allow them to grace the streets of Taiwan. So the selection of not-power washer/lawnmower sized bikes is pretty slim. Having a bike over 500 cc is in many ways going to be more trouble than its worth because you have to battle for the cars to park it. The higher taxes on anything over 150 makes it impractical as a daily transport machine. If you find a used bike in the size you're looking for, its probably going to be a Ducati or other like-new racing bike that a rich family-having Taiwanese man is selling because his wife thinks (correctly?) its dangerous.

While its horribly unfortunate that the government taxes the bikes heavily, the biggest issue is just the raw lack of supply. BUT, the way the roads in the mountains are I'm not convinced I want to be going much faster than a chugging 150 anyway....
schatbot
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Postby Rennes » 10 Apr 2012, 18:09

Are the taxes between a 150cc and a 250cc the same or different?
Rennes

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles