Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

CB radio and local riding groups

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

CB radio and local riding groups

Postby maunaloa » 12 Apr 2012, 01:53

Premise 1: CB radio on your m/c is a statement that "you belong" .... to one or more m/c riding groups. The bigger the whip, the more statement made.

Premise 2: A m/c-mount CB radio system is not cheap... power, antenna, RF and BT transceivers, BT helmet ... at least NTD 10K, up to NTD 30K.

So.... my assumption is that the systems' primarily use is finding riders who stray from the group, deciding where to eat in Yilan, and discussing possible deviations from the minutely planned route "down and back BeiYi Rd" (I've never seen a group on any of the side roads off BeiYi Rd, other than Wulai Rd). Anyone here use CB on their moto to confirm that .... or am I missing something?
maunaloa
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Re: CB radio and local riding groups

Postby lumka1 » 16 Apr 2012, 08:49

I never ride with organized riding groups and clubs. It is just 2 of us: me and my gf. I got bike to bike comms between us, but no fancy CB system and a bluetooth helmet. We use good quality walkie talkies with a decent range, headphone setup with a mike in the helmet that can be removed and a Push To Talk button on the handlebar. It was about 8k for the set of two. It is extremely useful to warn of reckless drivers coming from behind or the front, to let the other one knows you are stuck behind traffic or at a light, or normal conversation along the way. And the gf still uses it do backseat driving, so, not a perfect system...
“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit…what a ride!’” ~Hunter S. Thompson
Forumosan avatar
lumka1
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

3 Recognized(s)

Re: CB radio and local riding groups

Postby pengyou » 25 Apr 2012, 04:14

Won't bt2 work for up to 100 meters? Most groups I have been with stay within that range...my concern with communications has always been having to take my hands off the handlebars, so the walkie talkie situation would not be an "in motion" option for me.
pengyou

Location: Toufen, Miaoli....yeah, basically in the middle of nowhere :)
1 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles