Dont post your law breaking on youtube if you wanna speed

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Re: Dont post your law breaking on youtube if you wanna speed

Postby pb » 19 Apr 2012, 23:52

sulavaca wrote: As it is impossible to define what an "acceptable" risk scenario is, then until all risk can be alleviated,


The "acceptable" here is defined by political consensus. For example German highways do not have speed limits - because accident rate is not alarming (in fact pretty low) compared to other countries and public opinion is against limits.
Such speeds would appear (and probably be due to driving culture) dangerous when implemented in Taiwan so the politicians would oppose it.

You are right that the objective method of defining acceptable risk may not exist but it is irrelevant.

BTW similar applies to lossy compression technology (video or audio) - it is generally agreed that objective measures of errors/distortion do not represent well actual perceived by consumer quality of the image/sound.
Never sign your name using red ink.
pb
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 246
Joined: 21 Feb 2004, 20:43
2 Recognized(s)



Re: Dont post your law breaking on youtube if you wanna speed

Postby sulavaca » 20 Apr 2012, 00:15

pb wrote:The "acceptable" here is defined by political consensus.


And that's an issue with me as polyticians have never once asked me for my opinion on the issue of "speeding". Have they ever asked you? Have they ever asked anyone here?
Seems to me that polyticians try to make their own rules. I'm glad that at least we have common laws which should protect us from these made up statutes. With some luck and a dash of education on common law, perhaps people will understand that these types of things are subjective.
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
 
Posts: 5048
Joined: 09 Jul 2006, 10:48
Location: Taipei
4 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)



Re: Dont post your law breaking on youtube if you wanna speed

Postby Pingdong » 20 Apr 2012, 00:30

Pingdong
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
Sidewalk Geomancer (lù biān suàn mìng tān)
 
Posts: 1060
Joined: 08 Jul 2011, 03:20
20 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)



Re: Dont post your law breaking on youtube if you wanna speed

Postby tommy525 » 20 Apr 2012, 01:23

Lets keep in mind that laws are made for the common denominator. The guy on that superbike was extremely talented. But the fact is that someone else doing just that could very well kill himself and take out many others on the freeway. And that fact is what laws are all about. Laws are about being equal. None are supposed to be above the law because then if its ok for one, then its ok for many and then we have a problem. Therefore they are created for the common good but are dummied down to what the average person is capable of. They are thus not made or designed for expert or brilliant persons. They are often there to protect us from ourselves.

Taiwan freeway speed limits are now largely up from the former 90kph to 110kph in many sections. This is still too low, but is there because the govt does not think the average taiwanese driver is up to it (and they are most likely right here).

If taiwanese drove as well as germans do in general the taiwan speed limits could comfortably be raised to 150kph max or even more in certain stretches. But the fact is that the taiwan driving public is most certainly not up to the task.

Just look at the recent clip of a car driving straight into a car on the freeway. Now this was at night and that is something that even better drivers could perhaps not see as well.

But in general do you think the average taiwanese driver is up to 150kph on the freeways?

The laws are designed for the common man/woman and suited to their abilities.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 18348
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 14 Sep 2006, 17:25
Location: calif baby !
623 Recommends(s)
391 Recognized(s)



Re: Dont post your law breaking on youtube if you wanna speed

Postby sulavaca » 20 Apr 2012, 01:40

tommy525 wrote:Lets keep in mind that laws are made for the common denominator.


I hope you're not suggesting what I think you are! You mean we should all be locked up for our driving discrepancies?

Which one are you owning up to first on your list. Running a red? Speeding? Parking on red? Not buckling up until after the vehicle was in motion? Driving under the influence? Not paying your insurance on time?

If we were all held accountable to statute laws, then we'd all have criminal records by now for dangerous driving.
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
 
Posts: 5048
Joined: 09 Jul 2006, 10:48
Location: Taipei
4 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)



Re: Dont post your law breaking on youtube if you wanna speed

Postby tommy525 » 20 Apr 2012, 01:51

sulavaca wrote:
tommy525 wrote:Lets keep in mind that laws are made for the common denominator.


I hope you're not suggesting what I think you are! You mean we should all be locked up for our driving discrepancies?

Which one are you owning up to first on your list. Running a red? Speeding? Parking on red? Not buckling up until after the vehicle was in motion? Driving under the influence? Not paying your insurance on time?

If we were all held accountable to statute laws, then we'd all have criminal records by now for dangerous driving.


Actually you may be surprised to know that I have never run a red light, but have been caught for speeding a few times in taiwan and the usa and have paid the price and now am very law abiding in my driving. I can be said to have driven under the influence in taiwan if speaking strictly of the very strict limits now in place. But i most certainly do not drink and drive anymore due to the very strong consequences of even slightly being over the strict limits.

Im not saying i aint sinned against the traffic laws, we all have im sure. But the laws are designed for the common man. They are a bit too strict for many. But then they are not always enforced to the T.

Case in point in the bay area. The limit is 65 but most drive closer to 75mph. You do risk a ticket at 75mph but most cops will let you slide, but to be safe(r) i drive at 70mph mostly. And while this is technically over the limit, most cops wont pull you over for doing 70 in a 65 as almost everyone is also at 70 and many are over that. But I was pulled over in the city limits for doing 30mph in a 25mph zone and fined 250 dollars !! So sometimes they do stick to the letter of the law.

And at that time it was near midnite and absolutely no other vehicles were on the street. I endangered nobody by going 30mph instead of 25mph on that rather large two lane. And yes i felt it was not right to ticket me in that instance but laws are made for 24/7 and for the common man.

I think a lot of limits should be set higher though. LIke I think Taiwan freeways should be set at 130kph as the max (with tickets forthcoming if you exceed 140kph). And maybe this will happen in the near future...maybe.

Doing what the motorcyclist was doing is considered reckless driving in most any country. And its because freeways are not meant to be racetracks. He should practice that while on a race on race track where others are also professional talented riders. The general public is not up to those standards.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 18348
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 14 Sep 2006, 17:25
Location: calif baby !
623 Recommends(s)
391 Recognized(s)



Re: Dont post your law breaking on youtube if you wanna speed

Postby sulavaca » 20 Apr 2012, 07:27

tommy525 wrote:Im not saying i aint sinned against the traffic laws, we all have im sure.


And that's where my issue lies, because we are all guilty of something. If we were all to be locked up for "dangerous driving", which is subjective and prosecuted for dangerous+anything, then we'd all be screwed.
I'm sometimes glad that there aren't more enforcement officers on the road. :oops:.
If we are to hand more and more power to subjective style law enforcement, then we are to accept our own fates as criminals.
I would say from experience that considerate driving/riding comes from pro-active education, and not from reactive law enforcement. We can see that in Taiwan for example where the education is short and weak and where traffic violations reign supreme.
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
 
Posts: 5048
Joined: 09 Jul 2006, 10:48
Location: Taipei
4 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)



Re: Dont post your law breaking on youtube if you wanna speed

Postby tommy525 » 20 Apr 2012, 10:36

car ownership as well as driving a car will in future be gone. We will jump into an auto driven by computers. And hopefully it wont f*ck up.

Hopefully.
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)
 
Posts: 18348
ORIGINAL POSTER
Joined: 14 Sep 2006, 17:25
Location: calif baby !
623 Recommends(s)
391 Recognized(s)



Re: Dont post your law breaking on youtube if you wanna speed

Postby ChewDawg » 20 Apr 2012, 14:29

Pingdong wrote:we aint all so different.

http://video.ca.msn.com/watch/video/pol ... a-infopane


This is from my municipality (Saanich). They found out who likely did it. Dude didn't have a license and had 27 or so previous traffic violations. Still likely won't get arrested even though he went 300KM per hour. It was his mom's bike and she'll get the fines. The bike has been confiscated.
So I got an expresso and a hot burrito!
Forumosan avatar
ChewDawg
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
Gravel Truck Driver (suìshí chē sījī)
 
Posts: 1381
Joined: 06 Sep 2011, 10:27
112 Recommends(s)
96 Recognized(s)



Re: Dont post your law breaking on youtube if you wanna speed

Postby pb » 20 Apr 2012, 17:19

Unless you live in Switzerland with all their referenda or are an expert in specific area (with political connections) it is not likely politicians will ever ask you directly about anything.
Direct democracy is not very feasible (yet - perhaps in the future we will vote using your smartphones)

common laws which should protect us from these made up statutes


How detailed common laws need to be to cover traffic law?


sulavaca wrote:
pb wrote:The "acceptable" here is defined by political consensus.


And that's an issue with me as polyticians have never once asked me for my opinion on the issue of "speeding". Have they ever asked you? Have they ever asked anyone here?
Seems to me that polyticians try to make their own rules. I'm glad that at least we have common laws which should protect us from these made up statutes. With some luck and a dash of education on common law, perhaps people will understand that these types of things are subjective.
Never sign your name using red ink.
pb
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
 
Posts: 246
Joined: 21 Feb 2004, 20:43
2 Recognized(s)



FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext




Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles



Who is online

Forumosans browsing this forum: No Forumosans and 2 visitors

An all-too-common scenario: I hand you a cup of coffee and say, 'Cream and sugar?' You say, 'What?' I say, 'Cream and sugar?' You say, 'What?' Come on, people. What do you think we're going to ask after we've handed you coffee? Your favorite color?
From "13 Things Your Flight Attendant Won't Tell You"