Twin cab pickup

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Re: Twin cab pickup

Postby MJB » 16 Apr 2012, 22:16

feropont wrote:I could see on this photo: Image 2 Fords, 1 Toyota Tacoma at the Yahoo Tacoma 07 runs for 1.25 mills http://tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/b61569617 and looks like Honda Ridgeline.
And I think I had soon to register my restaurant as a business and my wife is taiwanese, so I hope I will bypass the above mentioned requirements.

So wonder if there are anything to choose from, but I never seen Isuzu Trooper twin cab

I still have my Tundra... They do however, have the highest resale value of any of the full size cabs..A much rougher equivalent of mine ( 2004 Twin Cab Loaded SR-5) with three times the mileage just went for 1.2million. The Taco's are slightly cheaper, but much, much smaller.

The extra long wheelbase means that your true rock crawling ability is somewhat limited (I have a 3 inch lift on mine) but for sand, ruts, offroad tracks and water they are surprisingly capable for their immense size.

It is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned...Hands down. I've had to put on tires, a set of brakes and regular service. The 4.7liter V8 is silky smooth and quiet, the huge moonroof and electric rear window means that for beach days, you are essentially a convertible. I have a soft top on mine as I often need to haul equipment that is higher than the cab, which gives the ability to open it up or fold it away when not needed. I sleep in the back when camping on a queen sized Air mattress, which means I can (and have) cruise right up to the ocean, drive down the beach (where it is not adversly affecting the local ecology of course) and camp self contained in complete privacy...

Foreigners cannot legally own trucks in Taiwan...I ended up forming my own company and then registering it as a company vehicle. Easy if using your spouses name though.

PM me if you need more info...Cheers.

Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit
MJB
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

6 Recognized(s)

Postby Ducked » 16 Apr 2012, 22:40

MJB wrote: The Taco's are slightly cheaper, but much, much smaller.

Everythings relative, of course, but the one I saw looked bloody big parked-up in Datan village :) .
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Forumosan avatar
Ducked
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

9 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby sulavaca » 17 Apr 2012, 07:28

MJB wrote:Image

:thumbsup: :)

Now just add the following to the back please and I'll buy one:

Air con
A vanity mirror
A mini stereo
Satellite T.V.
A kitchenette
Wallpaper
A disco ball
A mini bar
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

4 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

Postby StuartCa » 17 Apr 2012, 08:28

very nice MJB
If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener
Forumosan avatar
StuartCa
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

15 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby MJB » 17 Apr 2012, 13:55

There is a year 2000 crew cab Tundra (suicide rear door with pseudo rear seat) 4x4 SR-5 down in Hsinchu right now for 600k.
Nemo enim fere saltat sobrius, nisi forte insanit
MJB

6 Recognized(s)

Postby feropont » 17 Apr 2012, 15:06

Thank you MJB, I am not sure if I want Tundra size or Tacoma will be enough for me and I want something newer; maybe 2005-2010
feropont
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recommends(s)

Postby Ducked » 20 Apr 2012, 13:34

MJB wrote:[Foreigners cannot legally own trucks in Taiwan...I ended up forming my own company and then registering it as a company vehicle. Easy if using your spouses name though.

IIRC Llary was pretty categorical in stating that trucks had to be registered to a company as commercial vehicles, and it wasn't anything to do with being a foreigner per se.

https://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?f=75&t=106185&hilit=Nissan+pickup&start=10#p1385767

If true, that would seem to imply that, unless your (Taiwanese) spouse had a business (including a farm, I think) then she / he couldn't register one either.

I'm not arguing, since I don't know for sure what the regulations are, (establishing Taiwan regulations being akin to nailing jelly to a tree.)

I'm just seeking enlightenment.

I've been following this issue for years, having first raised it in 2006

http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopi ... ty#p547295

I had a truck lined up at one point, until apparently stymied by this, yet I STILL don't know for sure what the actual facts are.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Forumosan avatar
Ducked

9 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

Postby feropont » 20 Apr 2012, 14:15

Two days ago I stumbled upon by one of my old customer/friend, he is Canadian, maybe he also a taiwanese citizen I am not sure. We talk about twin cabs, and he told me he just bought new Ford Ranger diesel twin cab (had to wait 3 months for delivery as it manufactured in Thailand) so he registered his truck without to have any company. Maybe regulations changed?
feropont

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recommends(s)

Postby feropont » 25 Apr 2012, 09:46

as I mentioned already business license is not required:
feropont wrote:Two days ago I stumbled upon by one of my old customer/friend, he is Canadian, maybe he also a taiwanese citizen I am not sure. We talk about twin cabs, and he told me he just bought new Ford Ranger diesel twin cab (had to wait 3 months for delivery as it manufactured in Thailand) so he registered his truck without to have any company. Maybe regulations changed?
feropont

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recommends(s)

Postby Ducked » 25 Apr 2012, 12:13

feropont wrote:as I mentioned already business license is not required:
feropont wrote:Two days ago I stumbled upon by one of my old customer/friend, he is Canadian, maybe he also a taiwanese citizen I am not sure. We talk about twin cabs, and he told me he just bought new Ford Ranger diesel twin cab (had to wait 3 months for delivery as it manufactured in Thailand) so he registered his truck without to have any company. Maybe regulations changed?

I can't say you're wrong, I don't know.

I can say that there are, and have been, several different versions of this "story" published on this board, and at least one poster who detailed his experiences registering a truck (Zace pickup) was told several different successive versions by the DMV.

For a while it looked as if the jelly had set as "Has to be registered to a business", which, though unecessarily restrictive, wasn't obviously discriminatory.

Now it seems to have gone all smoke and mirrors with Sino-centric barbarians-at-the-tailgate racist overtones again.

Possible explanations for your Canadian customer would be proxy registration by someone who owns a company. Since this is a bit dodgy, he might not want to shout about it. I've been told of a staffer here who has their vehicle registered to a "dummy" company, but apparently (when I asked, by proxy, for details) they went a bit coy about it.

Alternatively, if its true that you need to be Taiwanese but not necessarily a company (this has been disputed by, for example Llary) then perhaps he is, or has got a Taiwanese, perhaps his spouse (see above) to register it for him.

I dunno. And its a fucking Taiwan DMV regulation, so I'm probably not going to live long enough to find out. :aiyo:

Forumosan avatar
Ducked

9 Recommends(s)
52 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles