Tailgate Lifters?

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Tailgate Lifters?

Postby *monkey* » 19 Apr 2012, 15:35

Anyone know if it's possible to refill those gas springs that hold up the tailgate of a car? They're filled with nitrogen, which leaks out past the seals over time.

I know this service can be found in other parts of the world. But here on Fantasy Island?
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recommends(s)
61 Recognized(s)

Re: Tailgate Lifters?

Postby sandman » 19 Apr 2012, 15:39

I'm getting new discs tonight, so I'll ask the mechanic. He knows his stuff.
But the thread title has filled my head with images of Jeremy Thorpe, for some reason.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby *monkey* » 19 Apr 2012, 15:50

Thanks, Sandman. OEM (dealership) prices are extortionate and getting alternatives shipped to Taiwan is also expensive.

Forumosan avatar
*monkey*

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recommends(s)
61 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 19 Apr 2012, 15:52

Is it still the Rodeo?
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby *monkey* » 19 Apr 2012, 16:20

sandman wrote:Is it still the Rodeo?

Yeah, that's right. The same units were fitted on some 90's Hondas too.

Forumosan avatar
*monkey*

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recommends(s)
61 Recognized(s)

Postby sulavaca » 19 Apr 2012, 16:32

If such a service exists, then I have little doubt that it is cost ineffective, unless used by the masses, which in this case it isn't.
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

4 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Postby *monkey* » 19 Apr 2012, 16:48

I dunno. I thought that about power steering hoses. Turned out it was about 10 times cheaper to have a custom one made at a hose doctor in Xinzhuang than to buy an OEM power steering hose.

Forumosan avatar
*monkey*

ORIGINAL POSTER
4 Recommends(s)
61 Recognized(s)

Postby Nameless » 19 Apr 2012, 17:36

Is it possible to get a heavier pair for a yaris? I have a bike rack ant it's just a bit too heavy
Nameless
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")
Mastered ordering "beer" in Chinese (jīngtōng le yòng Guóyǔ shuō "píjiǔ")

1 Recognized(s)

Postby sulavaca » 19 Apr 2012, 18:20

*monkey* wrote:I dunno. I thought that about power steering hoses. Turned out it was about 10 times cheaper to have a custom one made at a hose doctor in Xinzhuang than to buy an OEM power steering hose.

This depends on the make and model of vehicle. We also have hoses made from time to time, but in 99% of cases it's not cost efficient.
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca

4 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

Postby sulavaca » 19 Apr 2012, 18:25

Nameless wrote:Is it possible to get a heavier pair for a yaris? I have a bike rack ant it's just a bit too heavy

You would have to compair your present struts with a more robust pair. I doubt very much however, that even a stronger pair would suffice. If you could find any at all, then I would bet that the spring force, if sufficient to lift a bicycle and/or carrier, would be too great to be convenient when opening and closing the hatch when not under load.
These things are balanced to provide the best trade off between resistance and lift. You can't have the best of both worlds in all circumstances, unless of course you change the vehicle's rear hatch design altogether. This might include a motorized raise/drop system instead of a hydraulic-spring type.
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca

4 Recommends(s)
57 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles