Scooter really necessary in Taipei?

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Scooter really necessary in Taipei?

Postby Jialin » 25 Apr 2012, 22:30

Is a scooter really necessary in Taipei, does it make things more convenient? From what I've read it seems that with the MRT, taxis and buses, it's not necessary.

But then again, I like the idea of the convenience and being able to get out of Taipei county easily. Thoughts?

Also - is Taipei the most dangerous city to scooter around in??

Many thanks in advance.
Follow me on Twitter @3lleryy
Forumosan avatar
Jialin
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
3 Recognized(s)

Re: Scooter really necessary in Taipei?

Postby tommy525 » 26 Apr 2012, 00:35

A scooter is nice to go to Yangming Shan and drive around the backroads there and onwards to Jinshan and all the backroads up around the north coast. It really isnt needed for anything else.

U can ride around taipei but the MRT is so nice, why bother?

Piloting one is only about as dangerous as piloting an F16 in enemy territory.
Savage - what a nice performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMCMjEb68ds
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

567 Recommends(s)
363 Recognized(s)

Postby antarcticbeech » 26 Apr 2012, 00:57

It is much more convenient with a scooter but it is also dangerous (with the possibility that someone else makes a mistake and YOU become a cripple) and you don't need one. Personally, I get by fine with buses and the MRT. Also, the taxis here are great value for when you are late or out on the tiles.
X
Forumosan avatar
antarcticbeech
Mandarin Marvel (Guóyǔ gāoshǒu)

153 Recommends(s)
136 Recognized(s)

Postby Battery9 » 26 Apr 2012, 08:46

You would only know once you're here. Most people I know have one, but you can get by without one just fine.
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

26 Recognized(s)

Postby dnwolfgang » 26 Apr 2012, 09:01

Get here before making your decision. It depends too much on where you live / work / school / whatever.

As for the danger.. To be honest, it's really not all that dangerous. Driving speeds on any road that scooters are on is turtle speed, and cars tend to be pretty cautious around them. (anecdotal) I have seen a few scooter accidents and in all of them the scooter did something asinine. If you drive the scooter safely and not like you own the damn road (like 95% of people), most likely you'll be fine.
dnwolfgang
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

2 Recognized(s)

Postby monokuro » 26 Apr 2012, 09:02

I'll go with not necessary, but super super useful.

For example - from my house to NTU took either 40 mins on a bus, 35 mins on the MRT (no direct route) or 10 mins on a scooter.

So obviously - I bought the scooter :)

It's also a 15 minute walk to the MRT station from my house...
monokuro
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Shoe-wielding Legislator (huīwǔ xiézi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

6 Recommends(s)
4 Recognized(s)

Postby Jaboney » 26 Apr 2012, 09:40

Just sold mine. Didn't need it.
Forumosan avatar
Jaboney
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

22 Recommends(s)
56 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 26 Apr 2012, 11:52

Had a scooter now for 5 years, only have 1800km on it (anyone want to buy?!). Very little usage because of weather and danger.

Scooter is fun, to check out interesting areas, some suburbs, but not a necessity. Mass transport, taxi, feet, bicycle, can get people around very conveniently. A car is a necessity in Taipei due to the terribly rainy or hot weather, but most Taiwanese cannot afford a car, so they drive a scooter, or use mass transport.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42

6 Recommends(s)
32 Recognized(s)

Postby rk1951 » 26 Apr 2012, 11:59

It really all depends on your lifestyle. If you are a motorcycle guy and like to ride on 2 wheels then I would definitely get one. Taipei is pretty convenient, but it also matters where you live in Taipei. For me personally, I think a scooter really opens up your world in Taiwan, even if you live in Taipei. The MRT closes before 12, so late at night a scooter might be more convenient if you are a night owl. I like to explore the streets here and you can't do that with just public transportation. You will really get to know the area you live more with a scooter too. It is also nice to explore some of the mountainous areas around Taipei too. If you are going to do that, than you might want to think about buying a 125cc, but if you are just going to be cruising around the city then just get yourself a 50 or 90cc scooter. I have lived here in the Wan for about 8 years and never really had an accident (Just a few bumps, scrapes and middle fingers.) Yes, the driving here is pretty messed up and yes you can get hurt or even killed, but if you drive safe and obey the laws here then you should be ok.

I would just start with public transportation and if you want more than buy a scooter. They are super cheap especially if you only buy a 50/90cc! Most used scooters are cheap, you can find a nice one for 15,000nt!
No one dies a virgin, life screws us all.
Forumosan avatar
rk1951
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 26 Apr 2012, 12:03

I've been in Taiwan almost ten years, in both Taipei and smaller cities and never once felt the need for a scooter.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

189 Recommends(s)
191 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles