Scooter really necessary in Taipei?

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Re: Scooter really necessary in Taipei?

Postby Deuce Dropper » 26 Apr 2012, 12:09

I rode one for a lot of years, had one accident (wasn't hurt badly) and a few close calls, but for the most part, traffic in Taipei is slow enough that only unique situations would put you seriously in harms way (they do happen, but they happen in any country). The vast majority of accidents result in strawberries or raspberries on the skin.

Now, having driven a car for the better part of the last 7 years I can't imagine getting on a scooter, but there was a time in my 20s when the scooter felt very liberating and was very fangbian. Its a young man/woman's game, you'll want your faculties in check, and quick reaction time.
Forumosan avatar
Deuce Dropper
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

81 Recommends(s)
408 Recognized(s)

Scooter really necessary in Taipei?

Postby headhonchoII » 26 Apr 2012, 14:28

Scooters are good fun and open up the smorgasbord that is Taiwan, but be careful out there.

Do not get over confident and speed , always drive defensive.

I was once almost killed on a scooter....by a teapot. Yes folks as the teapot fell off a bike in front and trundled it's slowly through the mass of speeding scooters and cars my life flashed before me. Luckily it wasn't my time yet and I missed it by a whisker.
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1474 Recommends(s)
551 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 26 Apr 2012, 16:07

IM probably more chicken then most , but with what iv seen ? I don't want to ride a scoot or a moto in taiwan again.
CATS ROCK !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

520 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby StuartCa » 26 Apr 2012, 16:18

I use one every day and it's great. My 20 minute commute would be doubled by bus, plus it's handy for just nipping out. But I'd wait a month or so before getting one, just to get a feel for the traffic situation.
If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener
Forumosan avatar
StuartCa
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

15 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby maunaloa » 26 Apr 2012, 17:30

Ride a bicycle first where you plan to ride a scooter .. observe closely to learn scooter think, what happens at "red lights", taxi think, blue truck think, pedestrian mob think, then you'll be ready for a scooter.
maunaloa
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 26 Apr 2012, 17:45

+1 to pretty much all of the above. I have a license and I've driven a scooter if gf happens to have one, but normally the MRT, buses, trains and/or taxis will take you where you need to be. I actually find that the sense of NOT having to feed and shelter some stupid machine to be quite liberating.

But that's Taipei. Once you get outside of the big smoke, you DO need some sort of personal transport. Unfortunately.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

752 Recommends(s)
586 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 27 Apr 2012, 02:10

One can only hope more public education like this vid will begin to make a positive impact (no pun intended).

CATS ROCK !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

520 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 27 Apr 2012, 02:32

If I didn't have a scooter I'd be spending the majority of my time waiting around for buses and trains to arrive, because I don't live near the MRT. In the time it takes me to get to the MRT station on foot, I could have travelled across the city for less than the price of a single journey.
However, if you live nearby the MRT and you only need to travel somewhere else along the route (and I don't think the MRT is that extensive yet) then you'll not need a scooter.
It all depends on where you live and your personality. I like to ride, and I like to just bugger off somewhere on a whim. I also often need to be in two places at the same time, which is impossible just using public transport.
It depends entirely on you and your circumstances.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby tommy525 » 27 Apr 2012, 07:12

Having personal transport does really broaden your horizons a whole lot in Taiwan . There are simply many many places you can NOT go if you do not have this. A scoot can bring you many adventures and free your spirit and for many is even a major highlight of their time in Taiwan. But just like theres a heaven theres a hell. And that means that your very life could end with one wrong move that could put you under a bus or truck, etc. Which means you simply have got to get yourself trained to the very best of your abilities in handling the vehicle and reading the traffic in Taiwan. To do this you really need a few months living in taiwan to read the traffic. And you need to brush up your scoot skills.

Be the best you possibly can be as a rider, look in all directions at all times, do NOT speed, watch out for simply EVERYTHING. And you may survive to ride another day.

LIke life itself, riding a scoot is or can be a big adventure, but be wary and beware.

Id not get a scoot or ride one for a few months while you get your "taiwan legs" so to speak.

IM sounding like my Dad, but I don't want you killed !

Remember they really ARE out to Kill ya !
CATS ROCK !
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

520 Recommends(s)
338 Recognized(s)

Postby Ducked » 27 Apr 2012, 07:34

maunaloa wrote:Ride a bicycle first where you plan to ride a scooter .. observe closely to learn scooter think, what happens at "red lights", taxi think, blue truck think, pedestrian mob think, then you'll be ready for a scooter.

As is usual, perhaps especially in Taiwan, "think" here is used in a figurative rather than a literal sense.
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Forumosan avatar
Ducked
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

8 Recommends(s)
48 Recognized(s)

PreviousNext

x

Return to Cars & Motorcycles