DUI police roadblocks in Taipei

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Re: DUI police roadblocks in Taipei

Postby tommy525 » 26 Apr 2012, 15:58

John wrote:Roadblocks in Keelung (Jilong) city involve lots of cops with machine guns, they usually seem to have them on Friday and Saturday evenings.

I am not sure if they are for DUY, they might be looking for criminals/illegal immigrants (maybe because we are a port city), but I am still not sure who they are looking for.

I've never been stopped, and I have never seen anyone else get stopped either, they just look in the windows as we drive past slowly.

3am one summer night at Wanli. Stopped by cops at a roadblock. Had just gotten one of those "gangster perms" . One cop aimed his M16 right at my head. They were looking into the cars and watching out for guys with bad perms I would guess? :cool:
Forumosan avatar
tommy525
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

624 Recommends(s)
391 Recognized(s)

Postby r2bling2 » 30 Apr 2012, 09:50

I used to freak out at first when encountering roadblocks. Being from the South and black, it just brought back all sorts of lovely memories. The first time I went through one here, I tried not to make any sudden movements, kept both hands on the wheel and tried not to piss my pants. When I let down the window, the cops just said "Thank you, bye bye." and let me drive off. I kept looking in the rearview expecting to be followed. Did my head in. :eek:

I go through them 3 times a week coming home from djing and they always say the same thing. :cool:
r2bling2
Càiniǎo
Càiniǎo

6 Recognized(s)

Postby tango42 » 30 Apr 2012, 09:59

I sat in a coffee shop one night for three hours late one Friday night next to a roadblock in Taipei City. They did not actually stop anyone except to ask if they had been drinking and it appeared to be mostly for effect.
“Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.”
― Ralph Waldo Emerson
tango42
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

6 Recommends(s)
43 Recognized(s)

Postby Mr He » 30 Apr 2012, 11:39

They did them in Taoyuan county a frew years back - spoke to me in English, and asked if I had been drinking. Up to 4 roadblocks one night.
Jeg er hvad jeg er.

Bring Zain back!
Mr He
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

77 Recommends(s)
105 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Previous

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles