Rain makes my bike run bad

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Rain makes my bike run bad

Postby kjmillig » 01 May 2012, 06:54

So during and after yesterday's downpours my scoot was running like garbage. Hesitating and no power. I could barely get up to 59 kph. I go to my local shop and he takes it for a spin and says, "No problem. I got it up to 70". I ask him why it was running so bad in the rain and he says that lots of scooters have that problem. It's OK. When it dries out it will run fine.
I'm thinking it's time to change scooter shops.
So from someone with some actual mechanical knowledge, what's causing it and what needs to be done to fix it. I'm suspecting the hesitation is a carb issue because that happens even when it's dry with increasing frequency. But why the rain problem?
Help please.
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race [except in Taiwan]. ~paraphrased from H.G. Wells
Forumosan avatar
kjmillig
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recognized(s)

Re: Rain makes my bike run bad

Postby Rennes » 01 May 2012, 07:07

The same thing happened to me. It was pouring heavy, I start riding, and when I come to a stop, the scooter dies and is unable to start.

Long story short, I had to ride my bicycle to run my errands yesterday in the rain, and to go to work.

After it cleared up, I rode my scooter in the evening..

I have no idea why this is. I didn't have this issue before... It is motivating me to buy a KTR asap though....
I've been wanting a motorcycle for a while, and have been debating about a 250cc, etc.....
Now, I just want a decent bike.
Rennes
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby Battery9 » 01 May 2012, 07:47

Is that cover on the filter sealed tightly? I don't know if that's the problem but I've had power issues whenever that cover doesn't fit tightly.
Battery9
Presidential Advisor (zǒng tǒng gù wèn)

24 Recognized(s)

Postby urodacus » 01 May 2012, 08:18

water clogging up the air filter (ensure your air filter is new and lightly oiled, and the air box or air inlet aren't funnelling water into the filter area)

water covering the HT lead and spark plug and providing an alternative ground route, especially through a layer of dirt (clean the outsides of all your HT leads, perhaps remove any dirt from the cylinder head, use a spark plug grease around the boot of the plug to prevent current leaks).

run a carb cleaner through the carb to open jets and passages, and assist in removing any water that's collected. This is not a spontaneous change that happens only when it rains, but it does contribute to your carb running badly all the time...

it is not a universal problem, probably more related to design of the air intake and cable routing, etc., on some models
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

183 Recommends(s)
237 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 02 May 2012, 01:10

I also have this problem with my Hartford. But I hate issues that fix themselves so it's difficult for the mechanic to troubleshoot.
Abacus

103 Recommends(s)
110 Recognized(s)

Postby Rennes » 02 May 2012, 05:54

Postby urodacus » Yesterday, 08:18
"water clogging up the air filter (ensure your air filter is new and lightly oiled, and the air box or air inlet aren't funnelling water into the filter area)

water covering the HT lead and spark plug and providing an alternative ground route, especially through a layer of dirt (clean the outsides of all your HT leads, perhaps remove any dirt from the cylinder head, use a spark plug grease around the boot of the plug to prevent current leaks)."

Good info...

How do I do that? How do I ensure water can't get to to the filter and what not? Can you show some pictures or illustrations so I know exactly what I need to do?
Rennes

Postby urodacus » 02 May 2012, 11:50

you can't do much about the design of the bike if it's built that way, but you can check that everything is in place and there are no missing panels, baffles, etc.

if the air intake is pretty much open to the elements, you can perhaps rig some kind of splash guard so that the water thrown up by the front wheel doesn't get sucked straight into the air intake.

The oily filter thing retards water entry through the filter. It also traps more dust, dust that often passes right through a sponge and then abrades the piston and cylinder lining, leading to premature wear. Of course, on a piece of crap scooter, that's normally neither here nor there as they're disposable items in many people's opinion.

(If you have a paper air filter, don't oil it. Only oil a sponge one!)
The prizes are a bottle of f*!@#$% SCOTCH and a box of cheap f!@#$#$ CIGARS!
Forumosan avatar
urodacus
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

183 Recommends(s)
237 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 02 May 2012, 13:11

urodacus wrote:you can't do much about the design of the bike if it's built that way, but you can check that everything is in place and there are no missing panels, baffles, etc.

if the air intake is pretty much open to the elements, you can perhaps rig some kind of splash guard so that the water thrown up by the front wheel doesn't get sucked straight into the air intake.

(If you have a paper air filter, don't oil it. Only oil a sponge one!)

My biggest problem is when my bike has to be parked outside in the rain. I looked at the air filter and it doesn't look like it's sealed very well. Perhaps this is the culprit.
Abacus

103 Recommends(s)
110 Recognized(s)

Postby jaame » 02 May 2012, 22:14

Badly
jaame
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)
Fried Chicken-Parts Vendor (yán sū jī xiǎofàn)

3 Recognized(s)

Postby trubadour » 02 May 2012, 22:33

jaame wrote:Badly
:thumbsup:

this is a common problem - I was informed that it was to do with air pressure and the automatic choke. you see it happen all the time - even here where they park inside
trubadour
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

114 Recommends(s)
15 Recognized(s)

Next

x

Return to Cars & Motorcycles