Electric Scooter- No license?

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Electric Scooter- No license?

Postby omerojs » 07 May 2012, 09:20

Hi guys,
ok so i stumbled on this post in tealit about a guy selling or advertizing electric scooters.. the key point is that he says that there is no license required to drive them around... they go up to 50Km/h and 30 Km distance in one charge.. now the funny part, he said that because there is no license requirement you could technically drive it drunk and get pulled over by police and they cannot fine you because its not really a vehicle as it doesnt require license...

is this true? is Taiwan so easy to get around? can i just get a Quad and drive it everywhere and get away with it because it doesnt required a license?
what do you think about the drinking part? and by no means I am saying that drinking and driving is ok, I am just debating on the post I saw..
Just about Everything can be done in Taiwan!!
Forumosan avatar
omerojs
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recognized(s)

Re: Electric Scooter- No license?

Postby Ducked » 07 May 2012, 11:44

Sounds like bullshit. That's a criminal offense.

If you needed a DL to do jail time major gangsters would have chauffeurs, and would be above the law.

Oh wait.......
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Forumosan avatar
Ducked
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

9 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

Postby omerojs » 07 May 2012, 16:04

I think that you are not really analyzing the question or the situation... technically if electric scooters dont have a plate that means that they are not considered vehicles correct? now if they are not considered vehicles then you dont really need a license to drive them, but the main point is not that, the point is, why or how would they give you a fine for "driving" something that is not ruled by the traffic law because its not a vehicle? there is no law for that correct?
lets analyze it in another way, how about if you ride a bicycle drunk... would you get a fine for that? technically is the same thing.. or how about walking drunk... would you get a fine for that? in Taiwan I know you dont get a fine for that.. I know if the states you do get a fine and you get to sleep it over the police station for public intoxication, but in Taiwan that doesnt really exist, am i correct?
Just about Everything can be done in Taiwan!!
Forumosan avatar
omerojs

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recognized(s)

Postby Ducked » 07 May 2012, 19:26

omerojs wrote: I think that you are not really analyzing the question or the situation...

Sure I am, but I'm applying LOGIC, which may not be appropriate in Taiwan.

I said it sounded like bullshit, and it does. That does not necessarily mean that it isn't true, though even in Taiwan, its the way I'd bet.

omerojs wrote: ...technically if electric scooters dont have a plate that means that they are not considered vehicles correct?

I'd say incorrect. They are clearly and obviously vehicles, they just aren't registered vehicles. Extending your (il)logic, driving an unregistered car would make you immune to all charges, apart from (presumably) that of driving an unregistered car.

omerojs wrote: now if they are not considered vehicles then you dont really need a license to drive them, but the main point is not that, the point is, why or how would they give you a fine for "driving" something that is not ruled by the traffic law because its not a vehicle? there is no law for that correct?

See above

omerojs wrote: lets analyze it in another way, how about if you ride a bicycle drunk... would you get a fine for that? technically is the same thing..

In the UK its my understanding that this is possible, and rightly so, since you are a potential danger to other road users.

omerojs wrote: or how about walking drunk... would you get a fine for that? in Taiwan I know you dont get a fine for that..

What you do or don't get a fine for in Taiwan is no guide to the law, since the law is not enforced.

In the UK (and I'd bet in the US as well) I think there is no charge of "walking drunk" There are charges of "public drunkenness" "drunk and disorderly", and various related charges based on inconvenience or danger to the general public and/or the intoxicated. The cops of course have fairly wide discretion in interpreting this.

omerojs wrote: I know if the states you do get a fine and you get to sleep it over the police station for public intoxication, but in Taiwan that doesnt really exist, am i correct?

I don't know (Jeez, why didn't I just say that in the first place?) but then I don't believe it really exists in the US either, unless there's danger or inconvenience involved.

Anyway WHO CARES? Driving drunk is a stupid thing to do, whether you can get a fine or not.
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Forumosan avatar
Ducked

9 Recommends(s)
49 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles