Segway

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Segway

Postby headhonchoII » 27 May 2012, 07:58

finley wrote:
Think of the chaos if everyone in Taiwan had one...

Wow. I would pay money to watch that.

I'm really surprised nobody in Taiwan has copied the Segway. Technically, it wouldn't be too difficult, and most patents can be worked around.

What use is Segway in Taiwan, seriously?
Drive on the road and get passed by cheaper, faster and more useful scooters.
Drive on the footpath, first find a footpath, then find one not is not blocked by vendors, scooters, garden furniture, narrow and uneven or jammed with people?
I can remember the fourth of July runnin' through the backwood bare.
And I can still hear my old hound dog barkin' chasin' down a hoodoo there
Chasin' down a hoodoo there.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1474 Recommends(s)
551 Recognized(s)

Re: Segway

Postby Icon » 27 May 2012, 12:58

There are lots of assisted mobility vehicles in Taiwan, it is actually a big business. For example the electric motor wheelchairs -several neighbors have them, and they ride their stuff on the street. There is one I find really cute, his two daughters meet him at the MRT entrance, and then they get on the chair -it has some space behind like to put stuff- and then they all ride together back home.

Then you have the mini golf cart types with roof and all. I think I saw something like a flat Segway at one of the fairs at TWTC, and they were trying to promote it, but honestly, if they can't see me on the street standing up I will not make it easier for a bus/taxi/blue truck to run me over vertically.
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."

TOMMY WAS THE ONE WHO STARTED THE AVATAR BUSINESS!
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

593 Recommends(s)
468 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 27 May 2012, 13:03

StuartCa wrote:
Icon wrote:Sincerely, every time I see that blue Hummer in Xindian cruising down Beixin Road I find it more shocking. Imagine if ... shudder, shudder...

He lives near me I think (unless there's more than one)

There is a black one and a yellow one I also see from time to time. They're spawning! :runaway:
"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."

TOMMY WAS THE ONE WHO STARTED THE AVATAR BUSINESS!
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

593 Recommends(s)
468 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 27 May 2012, 14:08

Drive on the footpath, first find a footpath, then find one not is not blocked by vendors, scooters, garden furniture, narrow and uneven or jammed with people?

Well, yes ... but any vehicle is only as useful as the infrastructure provided for it. I thought there were some comments about the C5 which seem to have been snipped out, but those comments were relevant: the C5 and the Segway both suffer(ed) from the same issue, ie., where are you going to drive it? A C5/Segway can't go on the roads cos you'll be splattered by a blue truck, and/or inconvenience everyone else. It can't go on the pavement because you'll splatter pedestrians - and in Taiwan, the assortment of loiterers, vendors, trash, scooters etc will prevent you going anywhere at all.

If the gov't provided a comprehensive network of dedicated "Segway paths" (or C5 paths), it would be a great way of getting around. But why would they do that?
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

752 Recommends(s)
586 Recognized(s)

Postby Taiwan Luthiers » 27 May 2012, 14:14

finley wrote:

Well, yes ... but any vehicle is only as useful as the infrastructure provided for it. I thought there were some comments about the C5 which seem to have been snipped out, but those comments were relevant: the C5 and the Segway both suffer(ed) from the same issue, ie., where are you going to drive it? A C5/Segway can't go on the roads cos you'll be splattered by a blue truck, and/or inconvenience everyone else. It can't go on the pavement because you'll splatter pedestrians - and in Taiwan, the assortment of loiterers, vendors, trash, scooters etc will prevent you going anywhere at all.

If the gov't provided a comprehensive network of dedicated "Segway paths" (or C5 paths), it would be a great way of getting around. But why would they do that?

Well, it could go on the same path bicycles use... but honestly last time I seen any bike lanes in Taiwan they were full of scooters, street stalls, or whatever else. Obviously it does not work in Taiwan.
Cat-gut strings are made from kitten guts, stretched out to near breaking point and then hardened with grue saliva. As a result these give a feeling of Pain and anguish whenever played, and often end up playing themselves backwards as part of satanic rituals.

Typhoon Guitars
http://www.typhoonguitars.com
Taiwan Luthiers
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recommends(s)
80 Recognized(s)

Postby finley » 27 May 2012, 14:28

Well, it could go on the same path bicycles use... but honestly last time I seen any bike lanes in Taiwan they were full of scooters, street stalls, or whatever else. Obviously it does not work in Taiwan.

Actually that's what I was thinking of, but the bike-path network isn't extensive enough to be truly useful, and building bike paths doesn't give enough face to the officials involved to make it worthwhile (there is, of course, no other reason for building them).

I must say the bike paths in Danshui are surprisingly non-cluttered except for the concreted section between ZhuWei and HongShuLin.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley

752 Recommends(s)
586 Recognized(s)

Postby segwaydude » 04 Jul 2012, 04:02

I just moved to Taiwan but I don't really know where I could use my Segway, is there anywhere I can find out what streets I can use my Segway i2 on?
Alfie
Anywhere I can buy segway parts locally? Or maybe a used segway for sale? In particular a segway x2 for sale or a segway i2 for sale.
segwaydude
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

Segway

Postby headhonchoII » 04 Jul 2012, 06:09

You can use your Segway, with a few modifications, as a modern and efficient mobile garlic sausage stand in night markets. With the extra speed and stability on your side you will have a 'seg' up on the competition. When the police come calling to check your license you will have already cooly and calmy 'segued' away parting the sweaty masses like Moses crossing the Red Sea. You may even get featured on TVBS.
The future looks bright my friend.
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1474 Recommends(s)
551 Recognized(s)

Postby Dr. McCoy » 04 Jul 2012, 10:50

They let people drive forklifts down the road, so a Segway should be no problem. I wonder how they do on hills?
Forumosan avatar
Dr. McCoy
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

146 Recommends(s)
94 Recognized(s)

Postby headhonchoII » 04 Jul 2012, 13:00

Up or Down?
Batteries not included?
headhonchoII
Maitreya Buddha (Mílèfó)

1474 Recommends(s)
551 Recognized(s)

Previous

x

Return to Cars & Motorcycles