Which do u prefer: auto or manual transmission?

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Re: Which do you prefer; automatic or manual transmission?

Postby finley » 28 May 2012, 15:16

If you can drive a manual transmission, you'll know it's superior. The main irritation for me (with auto) is making a three-point turn, or similar. It's painful.

Perhaps Sulavaca knows otherwise, but I imagine a manual gearbox is also a lot cheaper to fix/replace if it goes wrong, and is less likely to go wrong in the first place.
"Global warming is happening and we KNOW that man is 100 percent responsible!!!"
- Fred Smith
Forumosan avatar
finley
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)
Retired President (tuì xiū de zǒng tǒng)

ORIGINAL POSTER
874 Recommends(s)
662 Recognized(s)

Re: Which do you prefer; automatic or manual transmission?

Postby 914 » 28 May 2012, 15:27

Good topic, worth expanding on. Unfortunately, the op is a spammer and has been banned.

Ill move this to cars n wheels, maybe you guys want to carry on with the topic? Otherwise, cars n wheels mod, please feel free to do as you wish.

914, open mod
Messages are sent from my iPad so if you find any errors, you may keep them. Myspacebarhasissues.
Forumosan avatar
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)
Lost Winning Lotto Ticket (zhòngjiǎng cǎiquàn nòngdiū le)

Location: YVR to SFO to TPE; Now in semi-retirement in Sky Mother
35 Recommends(s)
38 Recognized(s)

Re: Which do u prefer: auto or manual transmission?

Postby StuartCa » 28 May 2012, 15:32

Before I came to Taiwan I'd only driven manual, but for most town work here an automatic is much more convenient. Sure there are times when I'd prefer to be able to change down and over take, and on hills it would be easier, but Taipei's traffic is so stop-start that a manual would be a pain.
If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home. ~James Michener
Forumosan avatar
StuartCa
Bird Walker (liù niǎo de rén)

15 Recommends(s)
16 Recognized(s)

Postby Super Hans » 28 May 2012, 15:37

I prefer driving a manual. The gearboxes and transmission systems are easier to fix (I can get by dropping a clutch on a manual, but fixing automatic? No way.)
Mountain driving and driving on roads with bends with a manual equates to more power on demand at exactly the point where you want it, and you can pin your vehicle nicely in the bends. Downhill with an automatic is a nightmare on the brakes.
Between an auto and a manual there is no contest for me.
The bones got the wrong detail I hoped it would have for you
Safe for a shin bone or even a hand
It's such a lonely ride...
Forumosan avatar
Super Hans
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)
Street Dog Chaser (zhuīgǎn liúlàng gǒu)

42 Recommends(s)
149 Recognized(s)

Postby *monkey* » 28 May 2012, 16:08

Super Hans wrote:Downhill with an automatic is a nightmare on the brakes.

Autos do have have engine braking, you know.
Floggings will continue until morale improves

Monkey's portmanteau of the day: Scootard
Forumosan avatar
*monkey*
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)
Wild Chicken Bus Driver (yě jī chē sī jī)

4 Recommends(s)
66 Recognized(s)

Postby housecat » 28 May 2012, 16:11

Manual is much more fun to drive. But I'd hate it here in Taiwan. Too much first and second gear.
Forumosan avatar
housecat
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)
Almost a God (jīhū shì shén)

96 Recommends(s)
115 Recognized(s)

Postby sandman » 28 May 2012, 16:19

Manual all the way. But I'm old school. I drive a bog-standard auto here. It works. That's all. I drove a rental Alfa last Autumn in the UK. Woohoo! That thing was FUN! Especially in sports mode. Guarantee you guys would like it.
sandman
Manjusri (Wénshū)

28 Recommends(s)
199 Recognized(s)

Postby cfimages » 28 May 2012, 16:21

Another vote for manual.
Forumosan avatar
cfimages
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)
Golden Lotus (huángjīn liánhuā)

230 Recommends(s)
218 Recognized(s)

Postby sulavaca » 28 May 2012, 16:49

I prefer autoboxes for city use, and manual for the countryside. If I had to choose one type for Taiwan, then I'd choose auto. My wife has a large influence there too.
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

4 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

Postby Ducked » 28 May 2012, 18:18

I drive a manual here now and, since I'm British, I hadn't ever driven an automatic before I came here.

I prefer a manual for the fuel economy, which I believe is likely to be better, but probably mostly because it is what I'm used to, which I think applies to most driving preferences, whatever the rationale.

I doubt that manuals are likely to be more reliable, as someone posted above, since on a used car they are more likely to have been abused.

While its probably true that a manual gearbox is cheaper to repair, at the bargain basement end of the market where I operate its unlikely that anyone will be repairing a gearbox of either type.
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Forumosan avatar
Ducked
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)
Buxiban Laoban (bǔxíbān lǎobǎn)

9 Recommends(s)
51 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
Next

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles