What was your first until last car you owned/ drove ?

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Re: What was your first until last car you owned/ drove ?

Postby asiababy » 30 May 2012, 00:12

I started driving in 1990. Learned to drive in forestry dept. trucks, and drove some Toyota Hi-Ace kind of thing for quite a while for work.

1st car: 1959 Triumph Herald, brown. I loved this car! Sold it when mum upgraded and the guy who bought it wrote it off the day after he got it. Still hurts.
2nd car: 1960-something Austin Mini (it was my mum's and she handed it down to us, it was multicolored due to all the panel changes.)
3rd car: Austin Allegro 1300, not sure what year but it was old, good old British green, and I drove it all over NZ. Finally sold it to help pay for ticket to Taiwan. Didn't get much.

Long driving hiatus, then got a Suzuki Every van after having kids here. Poor gas mileage on the highway so switched to the March. Miss the space of the Every but love my March to death.

My dad still his Leyland P76 and I can't wait to go back and get it back on the road. Pure luxury.
Family-friendly events and destinations Taiwan-wide. http://kidzone-tw.blogspot.com/
asiababy
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

2 Recommends(s)
46 Recognized(s)

Postby wudjamahuh » 30 May 2012, 00:40

The interior plastics are a little shiny, but not oily enough to really be an issue, but maybe I'll try going over them with a white sponge like you mentioned. Thanks for the tip!

The Mazda 3 2.0 is useless as far as I can see it. People like the idea of having a large engine and more horsepower, but even with an unmodified 1.6 I hit 180 km/hr on the freeway. The body kit on the 2.0 looked pretty good compared to the more conservative desigh of the 1.6, so I just added it on for sportier looks.
wudjamahuh
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)
Newspaper Copyeditor (bàoshè biānjí)

3 Recommends(s)
14 Recognized(s)

Postby kaikai34 » 30 May 2012, 00:55

1980 Volvo GL (By the time I got it was 10 years old and it had a working 8-Track player)

1984 Ford Mustang (Not the fast one)

1988 Volvo Turbo Diesel Wagon (Smoked worse than the little green plated 50cc 2 strokers)

1979 Ford Fairlane Wagon (15 years old by then)

1993 Honda Prelude (Got jacked by my older sister)

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse (Brand new, but it had TONS of problems. Ended up crashing it.)

1989 Lincoln Towncar (My punishment for totaling the eclipse)

1993 Honda CR-X (Loved that little guy)

Moved to Taiwan

196? Mini (Went too fast through a very deep puddle during a typhoon and it was never the same again)

Scootered around for 10 years.

2010 Honda Fit

This post was recommended by ceevee369 (31 May 2012, 09:29)
Rating: 4%
Forumosan avatar
kaikai34
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)
Chinese Class Dropout (Zhōngwén kè zhōngchuòshēng)

22 Recommends(s)
33 Recognized(s)

Postby sulavaca » 31 May 2012, 07:25

asiababy wrote:I started driving in 1990. Learned to drive in forestry dept. trucks, and drove some Toyota Hi-Ace kind of thing for quite a while for work.

1st car: 1959 Triumph Herald, brown. I loved this car! Sold it when mum upgraded and the guy who bought it wrote it off the day after he got it. Still hurts.
2nd car: 1960-something Austin Mini (it was my mum's and she handed it down to us, it was multicolored due to all the panel changes.)
3rd car: Austin Allegro 1300, not sure what year but it was old, good old British green, and I drove it all over NZ. Finally sold it to help pay for ticket to Taiwan. Didn't get much.

Long driving hiatus, then got a Suzuki Every van after having kids here. Poor gas mileage on the highway so switched to the March. Miss the space of the Every but love my March to death.

My dad still his Leyland P76 and I can't wait to go back and get it back on the road. Pure luxury.

Triumph Herald: Looks pretty when it's not setting itself on fire. My mum had two of these, I believe, but they were sort of the opposite of reliable. Fortunately our neighbor at the time had three or four of them, just to keep one running, and knew them all inside out. Well he actually usually had one or two of them inside out any time I went over to play with his cat.
Austin Mini: Nippy, and fun to steer. Possibly the reason I damaged my lower vertebra at an early age. Not what anyone would call reliable, unless they also had a long list of British cars in their driving history. Austin Alegro :doh: : Barely a car at all, but my granddad had one, and I always remember his well for the smell of his pipe smoke. Delicious!
Suzuki Every: Well that really isn't a car, so it doesn't have to stand out in any way, I suppose.
I can certainly see however why you love your March so much now! It's practically a super, luxury car after that list. :bravo:
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca
Has-been Pop Star (guòshí míngxīng)

4 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

Postby march » 31 May 2012, 10:56

First car was a 1960 Morris Minor - always wanted to race, and this one had been raced before. Learnt a lot about cars from this one, but it was too fragile.
2nd - Vanden Plas Princess 1300 - posh version of the Austin 1300. Visited the scrapyard every weekend to get new parts. Nice car, but had to go so I could tow the Minor with...
3rd - Morris Ital 1.7 - bright orange. Dreadful handling, but kept it a few years as all the money went on the Minor. Never sold it, because no-one would buy it. Finally my dad drove it to scrap yard with seized trunnions. After a left hand bend he had to steer hard right all the way down the next straight.
4th - Ford Granada Mk2 2.8l - Handling not much better, and auto-box a pain in the arse. Good for towing though
5th - 1985 Rover Vitesse - Great car, loads of torque. V8 sounded beautiful.
6th - 1996 Alfa 155 2l - bought this car 2 years old. Super reliable despite Alfa's reputation (and easily better than my previous cars!). P-ex'd after 75000 miles with original battery, clutch (despite towing) suspension etc.
7th - Finally sold the Minor, and replaced it with a March 713M - one of the first monocoque chassis Formula 3s. Good car which had been well restored by previous owner.
8th - Not many people racing 1600cc F3s, so sold 713 and bought a March 803B - more modern (1980) F3 with 2l Toyota engine. Lovely car, fast, easy to work on, and beautiful to drive. Sold it before coming to Taiwan, but value had risen substantially so did ok.
9th - 2003 Alfa 156 - got this one at 1 year old. Nice car, but never reliable - especially when being serviced by Alfa dealers. Sold it for peanuts when I moved to Taiwan, heart was sad, head was happy.
10th - 2002 Nissan Sentra - non-descript Taiwan transport. Uninteresting and I hope it stays that way.
march
Grasshopper (cǎo měng)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby adrian » 31 May 2012, 17:37

1) 80's Dodge Colt. I beat the hell out of this thing. Instead of braking in my highschool parking lot, I would crash into stuff.
2) 1986 Ford Ltd. Silver exterior, red interior. Crashed this a few times - held up very well.
3) 1991 Acura Integra. Aqua green. Slammed on 17"s with intake and exhaust. Much love for this car. Unfortunately, someone crashed into me.
4) 1996 Eagle Talon (Mitsubishi Eclipse). Forest Green. Canned on 18"s with turbo upgrade, timer and blow off valve (woooosh - pshew!), header, intake, exhaust, front and rear sways. As someone mentioned in a previous post, this car was a whack of trouble. Blew the engine, tore the frame (separate incidents - not my fault, kind of), and then flipped it (my fault - flipped end over end!).
5) 90's Ford Taurus. Sold that and came to Taiwan.

Most recent car driven - Vios. Yawn. Company car. I prefer my motorbikes.
adrian
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Icon » 31 May 2012, 21:11

The first car I drove regularly was my Dad's old Mazda minivan -which he had ironically bought new after the divorce from my Mom-, because the guy was pushing me to buy it -cheap, just to understand the concept of money. I loved it, there were a lot of good memories attached to it, such as loading it with bikes and picnic fare to have fun with my brothers and sister, and would have taken it readily but my old man wouldn't let go of it. Anyways, it was good to learn how to drive in it, in spite of the fact that I got several bad habits from it, such as opening too much in curves. It was nicknamed the Flintstones Car -among other names, my Dad was not much into maintenance-, since to start it or brake it you had to open the door and stick your foot out. Often you would park it somewhere and it would migrate on its own to a different spot...

Here it is the beauty: Image

So, the first car I bought was sold to me by my uncle the mechanic. It was a Daihatsu Charade 80, 4 doors, and he mentioned in passing it was souped up. Yep, it rapidly gained the moniker Fitipaldi. Unfortunately, its good health did not last long, as one December day, I crashed exhausted on the sofa and left the keys on the table, which were taken by my brother, who promptly crashed my small car against a comparatively huge Mazda MPV. After that, it had a torque to the side and I couldn't afford all the repairs and straightening, so... 8181.

My second car was a lovely automatic, 4 door Nissan Sentra 87, called The Pirate Taxi -we could load it up with 9 people and assorted shopping bags or beach supplies in the huge trunk. Awesome decorations, I bought it Looney Tunes spoilers and mats. It even had AC and it made my airport runs safer. Before that, my Taiwanese colleague, who owned a BMW, would trail behind me and the Charade until the end of the highway to see if I made it through -the car would often stall at the most inhospitable places. It was far more dangerous for him, as he could nearly fall asleep. Not anymore. My Nissan could race his car to the finish. Pity I had to sell it to pay for my second year here on the Island. I wasn't too kind to it, either, I crashed it against a telephone pole backing up and let it slide several times in my ol' country's steep hills.

"Lo urgente no deja tiempo para lo importante". Mafalda

"Nice guy? Who gives a shit? If you want to work here, close."
Forumosan avatar
Icon
Guan Yin (Guānyīn)

704 Recommends(s)
564 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 01 Jun 2012, 08:34

Perhaps I will find the photos of my cars sometime but I'm on my 5th car (and worst) in 17 yrs of driving.

started driving on my family's Aerostar and Mazda B2000
1991 Pontiac Grand Am - looking back this wasn't a great car other than it never broke down.
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee - loved this SUV and it was great for MN/MI winters - wish I still had it even if it was just collecting dust in a barn
2004 F150 - I was an engineer at Ford at the time working on even bigger trucks and driving one everyday helped with my work even if it was ridiculously impractical
2006 Mazda3 5 door - I also loved this car. My mom bought the same car a year later and her car will probably be waiting in a garage for me if I return home in the next couple of years.
2000 Ford Mondeo - it gets terrible reviews from a certain someone but I checked it pretty thoroughly and it was cheap. I think I already got my money's worth out of the car.
Abacus
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

124 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

Postby sulavaca » 01 Jun 2012, 09:10

Abacus wrote:2000 Ford Mondeo - it gets terrible reviews from a certain someone ...

Who? Me? :roll: :cool:
Visit actaiwan.org for Car Rentals, servicing, repairs, Used Car Purchasing, Inspections, Articles and Useful Information on Taiwan Motoring.
Check out A.C. on Facebook
Forumosan avatar
sulavaca

4 Recommends(s)
58 Recognized(s)

Postby Abacus » 01 Jun 2012, 09:45

sulavaca wrote:
Abacus wrote:2000 Ford Mondeo - it gets terrible reviews from a certain someone ...

Who? Me? :roll: :cool:

I'm prepared for the worst with the car but so far it runs well although I don't drive it too much.
Abacus

124 Recommends(s)
132 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles