NSR 150cc engine swap ideas

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

NSR 150cc engine swap ideas

Postby 2smokelvr » 02 Jun 2012, 23:12

I did a search online and on forumosa and couldn't find any relevant information to what im trying to do.

Right now I have a pretty much stock NSR 150cc.

I found this page to be helpful for upgrades
http://tyga-performance.com/

From what I understand ( correct me if im wrong) the stock Taiwan nsrs make 20ish hp and if you replace the head to the thai/japanese non kymco head you can get
30ish hp and maybe with pipe, reads, jetting you could get an unreliable 35-40 hp.

There was a guy that did a nsr250 to cr 500cc swap
http://www.dreamgate.ne.jp/NSR/Project% ... _main.html

and it turned out to be to much power and shakey

So heres what im wanting to do ideally
Instead of paying a lot to mod the current stock 150cc just to make it more unreliable, parts including replacements are getting harder and harder to find for it

I want to hear some suggestions on a 250cc dirt bike thumper swap, something easy, reliable, 40ish hp stock and will fit the frame easily without something shakey like the above nsr500 build

I was thinking along the lines of a cr250 motor or another 250cc 2 stroke dirt bike engine that could be swapped in using the factory nsr150 engine mounts without any mods or slight cnced engine
mounts that I could get done locally.

I understand the whole safety thing so if I had to 1 time a year i could put back in the 150cc motor I really feel a 250cc swap in would be my best option for long term performance and reliability
Im also open to putting in a nsr 250 engine if the frame mounts are the same, but a newer 250cc dirt bike engine would be easier for replacement parts

suggestions?
2smokelvr
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Re: NSR 150cc engine swap ideas

Postby adrian » 03 Jun 2012, 10:36

Is money not an option here? Have you looked for the availability of these engines? I live in the south and would have about 0% chance of finding a 250 two stroke in good condition - if any. If you did find a NSR250 complete bike, sell yours and keep that.

I have a Yamaha RZR 135 two stroke. New head and engine angle mods will give a boost in power, as well as a new pipe (bigger, diff mid-angles - depending on engine mod). Upgraded front brakes, forks & lowered, suspension and clip ons. Quick, reliable (somewhat - the design of 2 strokes simply prevents this), and fun.
adrian

Postby 2smokelvr » 03 Jun 2012, 12:14

I see what you mean about the nsr250 being rare

Dought I will find a one to swap in, but in the states for 770usd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2001-HONDA-CR25 ... 071wt_1163

Shipping and import tax might get me though but still im looking at 700ish usd plus to fully mod out the nsr150cc motor, plus pipe

Was just thinking a stock un modded cr250 engine would be more reliable long term with the same performance gain and price
2smokelvr

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby Ducked » 04 Jun 2012, 09:11

http://forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph ... ant+killer

Large 2-stroke in my local scrapyard. Probably not much use to you though, and if you actually got it operational it might well kill you, even if you aren't a giant.
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Forumosan avatar
Ducked
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

7 Recommends(s)
44 Recognized(s)

Postby 2smokelvr » 04 Jun 2012, 13:17

Actually I should of picked up a r1z250 for only 3000nt more then I paid for my nsr150

http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21206011731172

58000 nt and claims 45hp I did a search on parts for it and the downside seems parts are
even harder to locate then they are for the nsr

Im re thinking doing a swap or just doing pipe, jetting, air filter but not fully open type
It rains to much in Taiwan maybe an inbox type k&n allowing more airflow but keeping out water

I haven't found any info on a correct jetting size to go with on an inbox K&N with tyga pipe

Every page only recommends 157.2 jetting but thats with the fully exposed air filter something im not going to do in Taiwan

Anyway I plan to have fun with the bike the way it is without swapping engines,
because the way simpler and easier and cost effective thing to do is just find a yamaha r1z250

might sale and uprade to the t1z250 at some point
2smokelvr

ORIGINAL POSTER
1 Recognized(s)

Postby adrian » 04 Jun 2012, 13:41

The R1Z250 is hawt!
http://www.moto-mad.com/yamaha-r1-z-250-specs.html

There are a few on Ruten under vague titles.
adrian

x

Return to Cars & Motorcycles