Sanctuary being torn down. We need your help!!! - click here for details
You can also visit TheSanctuaryTaiwan.org - click here to go to their contact page

Decent rain suits?

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Re: Decent rain suits?

Postby sunberry » 15 Jun 2012, 19:25

SlowRain wrote:My wife and I bought ~2,500TWD Polar Star rain suits from a camping store last year. Hers seems to be okay, but mine leaks. I had one that I bought six years ago for ~1,500TWD. It lasted 5 years. I wish I could find that brand again.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

What was the brand of the other one that you bought?
sunberry
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

3 Recommends(s)

Postby SlowRain » 15 Jun 2012, 21:52

I can't remember. They were black and red, but I think they came in a couple of color combinations. They certainly didn't look expensive like the Polar Star ones we have now, but they were certainly better. Not perfect, but better.
Forumosan avatar
SlowRain
High School Triad Member (gāozhōng liúmáng)

12 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby tcarnagan » 16 Jun 2012, 00:04

After years of the PVC crud they sell here that last only one or two years I upgraded. Brand called 'RoadMaster' that I got from a online place in the States and then had shipped over. Well worth the price and in addition to lasting longer than two years they are also not made of PVC and are somewhat breathable, which is helpful for sure in this climate.

Have a couple Columbia jackets also that I use when the weather is cold enough, as well as a low price Columbia 'rain jacket' that works great as well (2000nt is not cheap for some users but for a decent rain jacket it is low price in my opinion).

So two options pay for good gear and stay dry or buy the local stuff that wont work very good or long, plus the local stuff made of PVC will add more sweat to the ride.

Road Master is the brand I mentioned and I recommend it highly. Purchased it from ridersdirect.com.
The more people I meet the more I love my dog.
Forumosan avatar
tcarnagan
Breakfast Store Laoban (zǎocān diàn lǎobǎn)

4 Recognized(s)

Postby kjmillig » 17 Jun 2012, 17:28

Went to the outdoor gear store.
Previously bought a jacket/pants set there called Litume that was supposed to be a rain suit. Don't buy this brand name. You will get wet. The fabric absorbs water then starts leaking. I tried treating it with spray on silicon and it still leaked. :fume:
So now I have a suit by Mont-Bell made with Gore-Tex with sealed seams and sealed zippers. For what I paid they BETTER keep the rain off.
"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race [except in Taiwan]. ~paraphrased from H.G. Wells
Forumosan avatar
kjmillig
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)
Night Market Cop (yè shì tiáo zi)

ORIGINAL POSTER
5 Recognized(s)

Postby SlowRain » 12 Aug 2012, 16:47

Any updates to this thread?
Forumosan avatar
SlowRain

12 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby psidriven » 18 Aug 2012, 06:06

is this worth it? $400usd, but looks kick ass and way less bulky.

http://vimeo.com/44092133
psidriven
Memorized My Password (gāng jìhǎo zìjǐ de mìmǎ)

1 Recognized(s)

Postby Tiger Mountaineer » 18 Aug 2012, 10:48

Here's a doozy... accommodates two, doubles as a tent, and a porta-potty!!

*skip to 1:40
Forumosan avatar
Tiger Mountaineer
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)
Chair-throwing Legislator (rēng yǐzi de lìfǎ wěiyuán)

10 Recommends(s)
12 Recognized(s)

Postby SlowRain » 23 Nov 2012, 11:16

Several people in this thread have mentioned Columbia rain gear. Are they still working out fine? Did you buy them in Taiwan?
Forumosan avatar
SlowRain

12 Recommends(s)
5 Recognized(s)

Postby TheGingerMan » 24 Nov 2012, 15:24

I have a set of Helly Hansen. Well worth the investment.
"Turne ye to the strong hold, ye prisoners of hope,
even to day do I declare that I will render double unto thee:"

~~~ZECHARIAH 9:12

"Or fill high hawkfell of my hand,
with skalds reward for skilled word?"

~~~Egill Skallagrimssøn, c.974

"Opinion is underrated since it is too difficult for most and not understood by the rest."
~~~elektronisk
Forumosan avatar
TheGingerMan
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)
Bureaucrat of the Underworld (cóng dìyù lái de guānliáo)

4 Recommends(s)
224 Recognized(s)

Postby tcarnagan » 25 Nov 2012, 02:56

Columbia gear is still working great, onto winter Columbia gear now. Replaced my set since the other half took my gear when she realized how good it was. It costs a bit, but it will last.

Even with high end or pvc crap, you need to let it dry. Hang it up overnight, that will help any gear last longer.
The more people I meet the more I love my dog.
Forumosan avatar
tcarnagan

4 Recognized(s)

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles