sport bike like FZR, or trusty old KTR? Thoughts?

Welcome to the forum for all things related to the internal combustion engine and or driving in Taiwan. Topics including (but not limited to) drivers' licenses, vehicular issues, what to do in traffic accidents, driving in Taiwan, good mechanics, etc. are all excellent candidates for this forum.

Moderator: John

Re: sport bike like FZR, or trusty old KTR? Thoughts?

Postby Rennes » 16 Jun 2012, 00:30

Where can you find a Honda Hornet 250 for 100K ? Not on ruten. Those bikes often are listed for 170,000.
Rennes
English Teacher with Headband (bǎng tóujīn de Yīngwén lǎoshī)

Postby omerojs » 18 Jun 2012, 09:51

for 100k is a rare find.. actually those bikes are so nice that is not easy to get a hold of one... I had mine and bought it many years ago for around 160k and sold it for about 150k almost 1 year after.. by now they probably range fro 100 ~ 150k and you need to keep an eye in yahoo bid or Ruten for one..
Just about Everything can be done in Taiwan!!
Forumosan avatar
omerojs
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)
Eldest Grandchild (zhǎngsūn)

5 Recognized(s)

Postby shawn_c » 21 Jun 2012, 01:36

May I suggest the AEON MY 125? http://www.aeonmotor.com.tw/motor-my.php

It's about the size of the Kymco KTR or SYM Wolf, and looks a hell of a lot better than either of them.

On Yahoo! Auctions, $73,800 on-the-road, for a brand-new one: http://tw.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/1229907143

Of course, you'll be surprised to learn that these Internet auction prices are always higher than if you go into your favorite scooter shop and ask them the price... your scooter shop will always give you a lower price (any scooter shop can get you any brand of new scooter).
Looking for a handmade paper wallet? http://sidonieyang.etsy.com
Forumosan avatar
shawn_c
Scooter Commuter (qí jī chē shàng xià bān)

182 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby thedublyfe » 22 Jun 2012, 01:46

Hmm, well the aeon 125 is a nice little bike, but its just that, little. It would be better to get a mini wolf cuz they are at least 150 and faster. Looks are not the most important thing, though they do matter. Number one is Performance, number two is affordability. I consider reliability important too, but honestly all the bikes here are probably going to be pretty reliable. I really like the FZR and FZ as well as the NSR, except for the 2 stroke part. And have periodically been looking for these bikes on ruten, and have found a few decent ones here and there for around 30. Also, one thing that has got my attention is the cafe racer parts kits sold for the KTR, really worth a look. Totally changes the whole bike in my opinion, with the wind shroud and lamp housing, etc. This might be another point in the KTR arena, but still wishing I can get a bike is in decent condition, maybe even with an aftermarket bore done on it. There are allot of 180 FRZ and FZ's out there, just when I see a nice bike on Ruten, its hard to get more information. google translate just doesnt work to make sense out of the descriptions, if they even have one to begin with. Still probably another month until i can think about buying a bike though. But that doesnt stop it from occupying any less of my thoughts.
thedublyfe
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)
Ink Still Wet in Passport (shífēn xīnshǒu)

ORIGINAL POSTER
In Taiwan since: 08 Mar 2012

Postby maunaloa » 22 Jun 2012, 02:30

Ducked wrote:
maunaloa wrote:If you're buying used (which NTD 50K means), I would buy the first Wolf, Hartford, KTR you find that is in acceptable condition ... because for NTD 50K you won't be seeing many in good condition.

Uh? NTD 50K is quite a high price for a used standard Taiwan motorcycle. Of course its no guarantee, but there's no reason why that price would preclude getting a goodun. Used prices start around 10k.

As omerojs said, 10K is about right for a scooter. The OP doesn't wrench, he wants a bike that will run for at least a year, plus a few contract extensions of his teaching contract (I'm guessing that's your gig). Take a look on Ruten or Ocar. I think we have different meanings for the adjective, "good", in the context of "ready to run a few years with only gas and oil".
maunaloa
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)
Martyr's Shrine Guard (zhōngliècí wèibīng)

17 Recommends(s)
8 Recognized(s)

Postby shawn_c » 25 Jun 2012, 04:29

Post some links to the bikes you find, and we'll help you translate and maybe there's even a phone number for contact info.

Also, I would like to see some photos of this mysterious KTR-turned-cafe-racer... hard to imagine that skinny bike turned into anything other than a dirt bike. The SYM Wolf would much more easily be turned into a cafe racer. How about the Yamaha SR150 or the Kymco imitation, the Grand King 150? Those could easily, easily be turned into something that resembled a BMW touring bike.

Oh, also, a 2-stroke has double the output of a 4-stroke... so... a 180 2-stroke is equivalent to a 360cc 4-stroke. Something awesome like that.
Looking for a handmade paper wallet? http://sidonieyang.etsy.com
Forumosan avatar
shawn_c

182 Recommends(s)
9 Recognized(s)

Postby Ducked » 25 Jun 2012, 09:20

maunaloa wrote:
Ducked wrote:
maunaloa wrote:If you're buying used (which NTD 50K means), I would buy the first Wolf, Hartford, KTR you find that is in acceptable condition ... because for NTD 50K you won't be seeing many in good condition.

Uh? NTD 50K is quite a high price for a used standard Taiwan motorcycle. Of course its no guarantee, but there's no reason why that price would preclude getting a goodun. Used prices start around 10k.

As omerojs said, 10K is about right for a scooter. The OP doesn't wrench, he wants a bike that will run for at least a year, plus a few contract extensions of his teaching contract (I'm guessing that's your gig). Take a look on Ruten or Ocar. I think we have different meanings for the adjective, "good", in the context of "ready to run a few years with only gas and oil".

Sure. A starting price inplies that.

My query was with your original "because for NTD 50K you won't be seeing many in good condition" statement, which seems to imply that's a low price. That stands.

If you'd said "because even for NTD 50K you won't be seeing many in good condition." implying that it was hard to buy a good used motorcycle at any price, then that, (whether true or not), would have made sense.
We reach for the sky. Neither does civilisation.

(Incidentally, if the search button is your friend, you must have some bloody useless, dysfunctional friends)
Forumosan avatar
Ducked
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)
Overpaid Foreign Athlete (duō fù xīn shuǐ guò gāo de wài jí yùn dòng yuán)

9 Recommends(s)
48 Recognized(s)

Postby Rennes » 30 Jun 2012, 09:45

Just an observation on the KTR so far.....

I bought a brand new KTR. I am enjoying it, although I only have about 130 km clocked on it so far. I haven't pushed it past 60/70 really, since I was advised to keep that low until the first 300 km and oil change. I am not a motorcycle expert, and I know there are differing schools of thought on this.....

Anyways, one thing about the bike I don't like is the seat starts to hurt after longer driving.... It makes me even tempted to wear bicycle shorts under my pants (I'm not going to though).

On Wednesday a friend and I will start a ride heading from Tainan to Hualian. We'll be camping along the way. He'll be on a scooter.
I'm excited about the ride, but I'm anticipating a very sore butt........
Rennes

Postby rk1951 » 30 Jun 2012, 12:04

Rennes wrote:Anyways, one thing about the bike I don't like is the seat starts to hurt after longer driving.... It makes me even tempted to wear bicycle shorts under my pants (I'm not going to though).

They all do Rennes! The only small 150cc bike that it actually really comfy to ride it the shitty Zing cruiser style bike. I have ridden 2 NSR's, an FZR, a SR 150, and a CPI 250cc around the entire island and they all hurt your ass! You just have to get used to it. If I ride my CPI into the mountains it starts to kill my ass! It is part of the fun of owning a small CC bike. :)
No one dies a virgin, life screws us all.
Forumosan avatar
rk1951
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)
Betelnut Beauty (bīnglang Xī Shī)

10 Recognized(s)

Postby Rennes » 01 Jul 2012, 01:33

Do you recommend me replacing the seat?

I've heard in Taiwan that is actually really cheap. I don't know where I would go or how to look for one though.
Rennes

FRIENDLY REMINDER
   Please remember that Forumosa is not responsible for the content that appears on the other side of links that Forumosans post on our forums. As a discussion website, we encourage open and frank debate. We have learned that the most effective way to address questionable claims or accusations on Forumosa is by engaging in a sincere and constructive conversation. To make this website work, we must all feel safe in expressing our opinions, this also means backing up any claims with hard facts, including links to other websites.
   Please also remember that one should not believe everything one reads on the Internet, particularly from websites whose content cannot be easily verified or substantiated. Use your common sense and do not hesitate to ask for proof.
PreviousNext

Proceed to Cars & Motorcycles